F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Can anyone help me find why my car is at the VPC for so long? Vehicle Inquiry Report.
GetBMWParts

12-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
themoveforward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' 328xi MG mSport

Can anyone help me find why my car is at the VPC for so long? Vehicle Inquiry Report.

I was wondering if anybody here would be able to run a vehicle inquiry report and tell me why my car has been held up for so long. My dealer is useless and hasn't given me a firm date. I want to know if there was damage during shipping and when the car is supposed to be released from the carrier.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

How long as "so long"? Did you paid?

Depending on the dealer, it usually takes two months for an order to be delivered.

You should have either a production # or a Vin from your dealer. You can call BMW with hose info to find out where your car is.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

So you know the car arrived at the NY/NJ VPC? When? Which ship?

Keep in mind that the 800# seems to stop tracking once car is released to carrier. Says "in transit" even after car has been delivered to dealer.

Maybe its in your dealers storage lot?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
KQ335XF30
BMWCCA #470039
Rep
Drives: F30-335XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoveforward View Post
I was wondering if anybody here would be able to run a vehicle inquiry report and tell me why my car has been held up for so long. My dealer is useless and hasn't given me a firm date. I want to know if there was damage during shipping and when the car is supposed to be released from the carrier.
Call this number BMW VPC Port Jersey 1-800-932-0831 and give them your production #.

They will tell you exactly where your car is.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I would imagine they could still be backed up from Sandy. I know things at the Port were a mess, just like everything else. Not sure if things are back on track but from what I understand, they were holding cars in Germany because the port was such a mess, and I think I've heard some on here say their cars were diverted to Baltimore instead. Wouldn't be surprised if they're still trying to catch-up.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQ335XF30 View Post
Call this number BMW VPC Port Jersey 1-800-932-0831 and give them your production #.

NJ VPC has an 800# and takes calls from customers? Love it!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
KQ335XF30
BMWCCA #470039
Rep
Drives: F30-335XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
NJ VPC has an 800# and takes calls from customers? Love it!
Yes.

My car was stranded by hurricane Sandy for almost 3 weeks in NJ and they were able to track and gave me an update almost daily. The CA + Dealership were clueless and useless.

Once your car gets to VPC Jersey, and if there is no problem, you should get your car within a week.

Hope you can track it down.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes.

My car was stranded by hurricane Sandy for almost 3 weeks in NJ and they were able to track and gave me an update almost daily. The CA + Dealership were clueless and useless.

Once your car gets to VPC Jersey, and if there is no problem, you should get your car within a week.

Hope you can track it down.
Not me. But thanks.

Check my sig.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 05:48 AM   #9
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelisbell
Now its Sunday and the sales office is closed! My dealer said that I had only 24 hours to make a change to the order? Does that time count if the office is closed?

Does anyone have their vehicle inquiry report? Does it list the transmission on it?
Yes, it does.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelisbell View Post
Now its Sunday and the sales office is closed! My dealer said that I had only 24 hours to make a change to the order? Does that time count if the office is closed?

Does anyone have their vehicle inquiry report? Does it list the transmission on it?
Wait what are you changing on the order? Once the car is at the vpc there is very little you can do to it other than cosmetic changes like grille.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
themoveforward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiegu View Post
How long as "so long"? Did you paid?

Depending on the dealer, it usually takes two months for an order to be delivered.

You should have either a production # or a Vin from your dealer. You can call BMW with hose info to find out where your car is.
The car has a deposit on it at the dealership. It was a custom order from Germany.

The ship it arrived on was PORGY on 11/29. It had a customs/liner release on 12/3. From reading the boards, other people on the same ship have gotten theirs last week. Maybe I'm just anxious, but 2 weeks seems like more than enough time to get a Priority 1 car through.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
The car has a deposit on it at the dealership. It was a custom order from Germany.

The ship it arrived on was PORGY on 11/29. It had a customs/liner release on 12/3. From reading the boards, other people on the same ship have gotten theirs last week. Maybe I'm just anxious, but 2 weeks seems like more than enough time to get a Priority 1 car through.
It really sounds like it needed service. That's a really long delay, especially if it was cleared on the 3rd.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
themoveforward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
It really sounds like it needed service. That's a really long delay, especially if it was cleared on the 3rd.
That's what I'm trying to figure out. The dealership keeps on telling me that were was no damage and that it's just backed up from the storm, but after seeing other people get theirs last week, I think they're just BSing me and won't tell me that were was some sort of significant damage.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
That's what I'm trying to figure out. The dealership keeps on telling me that were was no damage and that it's just backed up from the storm, but after seeing other people get theirs last week, I think they're just BSing me and won't tell me that were was some sort of significant damage.
The damage can't be too significant, or the dealer can't deliver the car as "new" without a disclosure. I don't know NY's limits, but here in PA the threshold is the greater of $500 or 3% of the MSRP. It doesn't take much to exceed this amount. The only thing I'm not certain of is if this applies to the VPC since it's technically the manufacturer who is remedying the damage before it ever makes it to the dealer.

Having personally toured the VPC and seeing some cars that were repaired and in line for repairs, they do everything "the right way" without compromise. I wouldn't be at all concerned about anything they had to repair. But I concur that they should at least be forthcoming with the information as opposed to having you wonder why it's been stuck there so long.

I also suppose it is plausible that there's a backlog for deliveries within your specific area. Were the others who took delivery in the storm zone or elsewhere? Regardless, they have a known number of units that they need to deliver. They should at least have a rough idea of when it'll be loaded on a truck. I'm pretty sure it's not a "seat of the pants" determination that they make on the fly.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #15
themoveforward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
The damage can't be too significant, or the dealer can't deliver the car as "new" without a disclosure. I don't know NY's limits, but here in PA the threshold is the greater of $500 or 3% of the MSRP. It doesn't take much to exceed this amount. The only thing I'm not certain of is if this applies to the VPC since it's technically the manufacturer who is remedying the damage before it ever makes it to the dealer.

Having personally toured the VPC and seeing some cars that were repaired and in line for repairs, they do everything "the right way" without compromise. I wouldn't be at all concerned about anything they had to repair. But I concur that they should at least be forthcoming with the information as opposed to having you wonder why it's been stuck there so long.

I also suppose it is plausible that there's a backlog for deliveries within your specific area. Were the others who took delivery in the storm zone or elsewhere? Regardless, they have a known number of units that they need to deliver. They should at least have a rough idea of when it'll be loaded on a truck. I'm pretty sure it's not a "seat of the pants" determination that they make on the fly.
The other deliveries I saw were headed for Long Island and the rest of the metro area. The dealership I used is only 30 min away from the port in northern NJ. One such person got their car on the 5th.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #16
Mrfurious214
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral White M3

I tried calling the 800 number but they said they only handle updates for special orders like military, ED, diplomats, etc. they wouldn't give me info since my order was regular. Anyone have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Quote:

That's an ED and Military sales number, not for dealer sales.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
themoveforward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My status just changed to "Your vehicle is in Transit. Please conatct your local BMW dealer" from "Your vehicle is at the port awaiting a shipping vessel". Does that mean it got loaded on a truck and is hopefully on the way to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #19
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoveforward
My status just changed to "Your vehicle is in Transit. Please conatct your local BMW dealer" from "Your vehicle is at the port awaiting a shipping vessel". Does that mean it got loaded on a truck and is hopefully on the way to the dealer?
Sounds more like its on a boat, but you said your boat already arrived right? So sounds like the tracking system is just behind. I think "in transit" starts when it gets on a boat.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #20
themoveforward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Sounds more like its on a boat, but you said your boat already arrived right? So sounds like the tracking system is just behind. I think "in transit" starts when it gets on a boat.
I actually just got a call from the dealer. They're unloading the car today and I should have delivery by Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #21
Mrfurious214
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral White M3

Did they say what the holdup was?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #22
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Awesome, congrats. Mine is supposed to finish production. How long did yours take from end of production till now? I'm hoping for no more than 4 weeks, which seems realistic. Anything sooner, I'll take as a bonus.
Appreciate 0