F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 2014 NBT upgrade to touchpad
proTUNING Freaks

11-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

2014 NBT upgrade to touchpad

Hey everyone, M6 owner here but the other forums are dead and I figured more people here have better information here.

I have a 2014 car with the initial NBT software but with the older CIC controller.

I want to add the touchpad functions, would I need a software/coding update? Do I need the larger screen or can I keep my current screen?

Thanks
      11-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

You need the touch controller, and the touch ECU for your language. The CIC controller is connected to the KCAN-1 bus, the NBT controller and ECU are connected on the KCAN2 bus.

I'm guessing that you had CIC, and went to NBT, and installed an adapter? So, the CIC controller is probably connected to the KCAN1, before the adapter, you will need to connect the NBT controller, and ECU on the KCAN2 between the adapter and NBT unit. The ECU controller uses the same connector type as the controller, and is a 4 wire canHIGH, canLOW, 12v+, and GND, same as the controller.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      11-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
You need the touch controller, and the touch ECU for your language. The CIC controller is connected to the KCAN-1 bus, the NBT controller and ECU are connected on the KCAN2 bus.

I'm guessing that you had CIC, and went to NBT, and installed an adapter? So, the CIC controller is probably connected to the KCAN1, before the adapter, you will need to connect the NBT controller, and ECU on the KCAN2 between the adapter and NBT unit. The ECU controller uses the same connector type as the controller, and is a 4 wire canHIGH, canLOW, 12v+, and GND, same as the controller.
thanks for the info.

Actually, I bought a 2014 M6 from the dealer. The screen looks like it's NBT software, but the controller is CIC. From what I understood it, the 2014 batch of cars got NBT software (and screen?) but had CIC controllers. 2015+ received the touchpad controller and 2016 received newer software
      11-14-2017, 09:47 PM   #4
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
thanks for the info.

Actually, I bought a 2014 M6 from the dealer. The screen looks like it's NBT software, but the controller is CIC. From what I understood it, the 2014 batch of cars got NBT software (and screen?) but had CIC controllers. 2015+ received the touchpad controller and 2016 received newer software
It’s not a CIC idrive controller per se. It’s just a normal idrive controller that operates on KCAN1.

The iDrive Controllers moved to KCAN2 (a higher speed data circuit) when itouch was added as it was needed for, well, more data faster with the touch hardware/firmware and handwriting recognition.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50