F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > I got in an accident
Studio RSR

03-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #23
Slickz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4

It is DEFINITELY totaled. Even if insurance were to cover full repairs the car would require a new front end and it would never be aligned with the chassis the same as from the factory and driving wouldn't feel the same. You would also likely have wheel alignment issues and pull.

$4500 sounds very low, too low to me and that can't be with all OEM parts. I would look at your other options if they would total it and see if you could get a new one!

Here is the insurance estimate from my X5 a few years ago with a front end collision, the damage on my car did not look as bad as yours, no airbags deployed. This is using all BMW OEM parts. They had to cut the hood and front quarter panels off in order to identify all of the damage. I would be leery of the cost they are quoting you based on the photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:25 AM   #24
mattpete13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 6mt

I was in a similar accident last week where someone pulled out on me, can't post pictures right now though, everyone ok too, no airbags deployed. MA law states that older vehicles are repaired with aftermarket not OEM parts. Can anyone speak to the quality of any aftermarket pieces?

I will speak to the shop about certain things being OEM though - I'll need hood, drivers fender, headlight and bumper. There was antifreeze leaking from my car also...

Obviously headlight needs to be OEM but what about body panels? Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:56 AM   #25
MrMarvin
electrified
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330e -17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpete13 View Post
I was in a similar accident last week where someone pulled out on me, can't post pictures right now though, everyone ok too, no airbags deployed. MA law states that older vehicles are repaired with aftermarket not OEM parts. Can anyone speak to the quality of any aftermarket pieces?

I will speak to the shop about certain things being OEM though - I'll need hood, drivers fender, headlight and bumper. There was antifreeze leaking from my car also...

Obviously headlight needs to be OEM but what about body panels? Thanks for your help.
What, the law states you can not replace parts with OEM? Sounds like a shitty law to me, is there any reason that there is such a law in place?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #26
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
... MA law states that older vehicles are repaired with aftermarket not OEM parts ...
Are you sure the law says they must be repaired with aftermarket part and not that they can be repaired with aftermarket parts. I would be very surprised if the powers in charge would require aftermarket parts. If the law says "can" and not "must", then just find a certified BMW repair shop and tell them you want real BMW parts. Your insurance company may also have a say in what type of parts they will pay for so you may have to pay for the additional costs out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #27
mattpete13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarvin View Post
What, the law states you can not replace parts with OEM? Sounds like a shitty law to me, is there any reason that there is such a law in place?
apparently to keep insurance premiums down

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Are you sure the law says they must be repaired with aftermarket part and not that they can be repaired with aftermarket parts. I would be very surprised if the powers in charge would require aftermarket parts. If the law says "can" and not "must", then just find a certified BMW repair shop and tell them you want real BMW parts. Your insurance company may also have a say in what type of parts they will pay for so you may have to pay for the additional costs out of pocket.
not sure exactly what the law says, insurance agent explained to me. I do remember him saying it will be aftermarket, no option unless I pay the difference, which I'm ok to do. Took car to certified BMW center and will certainly request OEM on everything vs. aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #28
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
not sure exactly what the law says, insurance agent explained to me. I do remember him saying it will be aftermarket, no option unless I pay the difference, which I'm ok to do. Took car to certified BMW center and will certainly request OEM on everything vs. aftermarket.
Since your car is so new, that is a surprise. I would start looking for a better insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 07:36 AM   #29
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
not sure exactly what the law says, insurance agent explained to me.
http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/docs/doi/l...gs/211-133.pdf

Google is a wonderful thing

The important part is here:
Quote:
When it is determined that a part must be replaced, a rebuilt, aftermarket or used part of like kind and quality shall be used in the appraisal unless:
(a) the operational safety of the vehicle might otherwise be impaired;
(b) reasonable and diligent efforts to locate the appropriate rebuilt, aftermarket or used part have been unsuccessful;
(c) a new original equipment part of like kind and quality is available and will result in the lowest overall repair cost;

(d) for vehicles insured under policies written on or before December 31, 2003, the vehicle has been used no more than 15,000 miles unless the pre-accident condition warrants otherwise; or.
(e) for vehicles insured under policies written or renewed on or after January 1, 2004, the vehicle has been used no more than 20,000 miles unless the pre-accident condition warrants otherwise.

A part is of like kind and quality when it is of equal or better condition than the preaccident part.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #30
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Airbags and those pictures make me think you're shit out of luck. But as others have said, make sure to get checked out for hidden or lingering injuries. I believe you have 3 years after an accidents to make claims. Best of luck to you and your family. I just hope there really is no injuries. Cars can be replaced but a lifetime of fucked up back/neck sucks.
      08-02-2017, 05:49 PM   #31
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
Airbags and those pictures make me think you're shit out of luck. But as others have said, make sure to get checked out for hidden or lingering injuries. I believe you have 3 years after an accidents to make claims. Best of luck to you and your family. I just hope there really is no injuries. Cars can be replaced but a lifetime of fucked up back/neck sucks.
Why are you (and others) giving advice about an accident from March?

I'm sure the car has been totaled or fixed by now!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 12:48 AM   #32
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinFLA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post

Was out on lunch break. Totally didn't look at when this thread was made. Haven't seen this thread before so I thought it was new. Haha
      08-03-2017, 08:18 AM   #33
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinFLA View Post

The responses are for the person who posted 2 days ago (post #24).
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #34
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
The responses are for the person who posted 2 days ago (post #24).
Who referred to the picture in the original post.
Appreciate 0