F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > coming from another luxury make? what do you think
Studio RSR

05-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

coming from another luxury make? what do you think

F30 is an amazing car by all means. I evolved with 3 seri as it evolved into this amazing car. I have friends with Audi and Mercedes cars who used to swear they would never change the brand and after experiencing my car (and of course with my constant advertising) thinking about switching.

Coming from another brand?
Having friends who want to switch?
      05-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

I drive a Lexus but not by choice, it's just what I ended up with. I am probably going to make the switch over to BMW but I would also go for a c63 or a s5 if I could...but I can't.

But yeah I do love the new 3 series. It's the first 3 series I ever drove so I had no comparison. It's the best car for me among the luxury brands, and much more sensible than the Merc or the Audi.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XENONX View Post
F30 is an amazing car by all means. I evolved with 3 seri as it evolved into this amazing car. I have friends with Audi and Mercedes cars who used to swear they would never change the brand and after experiencing my car (and of course with my constant advertising) thinking about switching.

Other brands, what that?

Friends always want to switch....until they ask the price
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
AggieTexan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

This is my first BMW, and I am just amazed by how much I love this car!

I've been driving Japanese cars for about 25 years, and I've had an Accord, a Maxima, and two Lexuses. My last car was a Lexus GS300, and when I started looking around this time I thought everything Lexus had was just kind of ho-hum, and I was ready for a change anyway. My only real complaint with my GS was I thought it had WAY too many rattles and squeaks for a luxury car, and I had a similar experience with my RX so I decided it was time to try something new.

I also looked at Infiniti (G37/M37), Audi (A4/A6), and Mercedes (C250). I just immediately felt comfortable in the BMW...either that or I was blown away by the gadgets! The only other car that in my opinion came close was the A6. It was a very nice car, but it just felt a little too "sedan-y" for me...and I'm no spring chicken! I didn't like the Infinitis at all, and the Mercedes was nothing special in my opinion. Believe me, I wish I had liked the Mercedes, because USAA was offering a great discount!

I've only had my car six days, but right now it blows any other car I've owned out of the water. It is SUCH a great car to drive...the size is perfect for me...the gas mileage so far is great! Everybody who's seen it loves it!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I think some people put BMW on a pedestal too often. As an engineer with a keen focus towards details, I could name countless faults with BMW's. They're hardly perfect in every category. Where's that thread about the guy filing a lemon law claim because BMW can't fix his vibrating steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
coming from infiniti for 3 years. looking to get into the F30 335i msport once lease is up.

price wise it's a huge jump.
$38k to $48k
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

This is not only my first BMW, but also my first four door sedan and I think it's just an amazing ride. I drove a series of two door coupes until now.

I see a lot of complaints from previous owners of the 3 series or BMWs in general, but I can't really relate to most of them due to my prior experiences. There are so many obvious differences compared to my previous cars that it wouldn't be fair to make the comparisons. My 335i tops them all in terms of acceleration, comfort, cabin noise, space and gadgets. I like my gadgets.

Maybe some of these features are lacking compared to previous 3 series cars but I have no benchmark for that other than the E90 I test drove last year, and the F30 interior blows that one away. I think that it's a great car, very comfortable and classy. The C class I test drove had a bit more comfort maybe but I think that the F30 is a far better drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan
This is not only my first BMW, but also my first four door sedan and I think it's just an amazing ride. I drove a series of two door coupes until now.

I see a lot of complaints from previous owners of the 3 series or BMWs in general, but I can't really relate to most of them due to my prior experiences. There are so many obvious differences compared to my previous cars that it wouldn't be fair to make the comparisons. My 335i tops them all in terms of acceleration, comfort, cabin noise, space and gadgets. I like my gadgets.

Maybe some of these features are lacking compared to previous 3 series cars but I have no benchmark for that other than the E90 I test drove last year, and the F30 interior blows that one away. I think that it's a great car, very comfortable and classy. The C class I test drove had a bit more comfort maybe but I think that the F30 is a far better drive.

Well said!

And you drive the 335i...I've noticed not a single Canadian owner complaining about their F30 yet. Is it because there are very few on this forum or our cars were mainly the ones produced after BMW got all the problems fixed?

Either way, I just can't wait to get my F30. I currently drive a BMW and can't think of moving to another brand. There may be problems (I hope not), but that's what the warranty is for, right?
      05-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
And you drive the 335i...I've noticed not a single Canadian owner complaining about their F30 yet. Is it because there are very few on this forum or our cars were mainly the ones produced after BMW got all the problems fixed?
To be fair it's probably because there aren't very many of us.

I don't have the steering vibration problem, or the stalling problem (even though according to the dates I should), or the no-signal screen problem, etc. The headrests don't go down all the way but that's the way they came on mine, and anyway there's a solution for that now.

I do complain about option differences between us and other regions though.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
I think some people put BMW on a pedestal too often. As an engineer with a keen focus towards details, I could name countless faults with BMW's. They're hardly perfect in every category. Where's that thread about the guy filing a lemon law claim because BMW can't fix his vibrating steering wheel?
How does your post contribute to the OP or you just trolling? OP is trying to find out what people think about the f30 after switching from another brand.

Can you answer the OP?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO
We are the 1st group of buyers of this car which is the 1st in a whole new generation of 3 seri, we are going to run into all the little flaws that happen at the beginning but eventually all will fall into place perfectly.

This is my 3rd BMW and every time I think of getting a new car I just can't think of another make that compares, it's just hard to get out once you get in.
      05-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
TEAShea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I have had BMW's and Mercedes and belong to both car clubs. For the past few years I have had Mercedes, which I preferred to the crop of BMW's. I now have two Mercedes and a new 328i. It is a very good car. I think it is better than a Mercedes 300 sport. I think that a 350 sport would be preferable but it costs $42K while I paid $36 for my 328i sportline. For $36K I think it is the best daily driver out there.

I prefer the styling of the C class and I prefer the interior a C class. But the engine in the 328i is excellent - quite an accomplishment. The controls and handling are very good and it weighs less than a c class.

Nice work BMW.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

I have owned 2 BMW, 4 Audi and 4 Lexus so far. Currently looking to buy a 535i. While I do think BMW makes a fine car, but by no mean is it a automatic buy for me. The runflat tires itself is a big turn off and please do not get me started on switching to non runflats and using a slime kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I have owned 2 BMW, 4 Audi and 4 Lexus so far. Currently looking to buy a 535i. While I do think BMW makes a fine car, but by no mean is it a automatic buy for me. The runflat tires itself is a big turn off and please do not get me started on switching to non runflats and using a slime kit.
This is my first BMW after 6 years in a Lexus Rx. Previously had a few different Mercs and Audis. I really like d all my cars and had good experiences with them, but I love this F30 and I now wish I had tried BMW earlier. The one thing I feel is a downgrade is the quality of the leather compared to the Lexus, much harder and more plasticky.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
This is my first BMW after 6 years in a Lexus Rx. Previously had a few different Mercs and Audis. I really like d all my cars and had good experiences with them, but I love this F30 and I now wish I had tried BMW earlier. The one thing I feel is a downgrade is the quality of the leather compared to the Lexus, much harder and more plasticky.
I agree 100%. The Dakota isn't that great. I hear the Napa leather on the 5's is nicer.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
After 6 years in a RX, even the IS250 would feel sportier Not to put down the F30, but I feel the earlier generation of the BMW felt sportier, more fun to drive. However, I think the 3 series is still the bench mark for this car segment, but they are losing ground to the competition.
The Lexus leather is soft, but it wrinkles easily. I think the Audi standard leather has the best combination of durability and softness.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
Happens to every brand of car. My wife had a 70k Benz GL which had similarly unresolvable suspension issues 6mths after purchase. This supposedly from the brand that is at the pinnacle of engineering and as they say "invented the automobile". Needless to say MB will not see another dollar of my money.
      05-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by XENONX View Post

Moved to BMW from ACURA. Whenever I consider a new car, I look at the other brands and always seem to come back to BMW. I just have not gotten the same driving feel from Audi's, Lexuses (Lexii?), Benzes (I drove pretty much everything they offer from the low end to mid-high end as loaners for my wife's GL350). The one practical car coming down the road that may make me switch brands is in my signature.
      05-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #19
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
I agree 100%. The Dakota isn't that great. I hear the Napa leather on the 5's is nicer.
I actually like the Dakota Leather. I love the texture of it. The only word I can think of is that it feels more natural than the softer leathers.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
After 6 years in a RX, even the IS250 would feel sportier Not to put down the F30, but I feel the earlier generation of the BMW felt sportier, more fun to drive. However, I think the 3 series is still the bench mark for this car segment, but they are losing ground to the competition.
The Lexus leather is soft, but it wrinkles easily. I think the Audi standard leather has the best combination of durability and softness.
Yes I agree after the Rx anything would feel sporty, so I thought if I'm going to switch I'll go with the best!

Never really had much time in an E90 as this is my first Bimmer, but I hope I get one as a loaner to compare because from a lot of posters here it sounds like a great drive!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #21
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
I actually like the Dakota Leather. I love the texture of it. The only word I can think of is that it feels more natural than the softer leathers.
+1 I really like Dakota leather too. I feel like Lexus leather is softer too delicate and wrinkles quick.

I love BMW but I have owned an E36, E46, and now an E90 and the F30 just isn't really doing it for me. BMW has many faults but I always overlooked those minute issues because of that amazing driving experience. Only a Porsche and a Ferrari make me smile more. The German attention to detail is still in the F30 but the overall driving experience compared to my previous 3 series is ok. I'll probably end up with a F30 because of the great lease deal I will probably get but I am seriously considering an Audi S4. It's sad to see Audi is now the luxury sports German brand and BMW is moving to be I dunno, the comfortable luxury German brand.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #22
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
+1 I really like Dakota leather too. I feel like Lexus leather is softer too delicate and wrinkles quick.

I love BMW but I have owned an E36, E46, and now an E90 and the F30 just isn't really doing it for me. BMW has many faults but I always overlooked those minute issues because of that amazing driving experience. Only a Porsche and a Ferrari make me smile more. The German attention to detail is still in the F30 but the overall driving experience compared to my previous 3 series is ok. I'll probably end up with a F30 because of the great lease deal I will probably get but I am seriously considering an Audi S4. It's sad to see Audi is now the luxury sports German brand and BMW is moving to be I dunno, the comfortable luxury German brand.
Personally when I sat in the F30 I didn't feel as German as the predecessors. An example of this is the storage compartment in front of the cupholders. To open it you have to lift the lid, but to me it would make more sense to push down to open it. Kind of like in the E46 sunglasses compartment. I just feel like a German would have thought of that. But IDK it could just be me trying to pic faults. I really want to drive one to see what the steering is like, since the reviews are all of the map on that subject.
Appreciate 0