F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Audi RS6 official pics
proTUNING Freaks

12-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #23
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I guess I see your point.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #24
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I guess I see your point.
Don't let me kill your dreams that easily!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #25
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I love the wagon, much better looking than a standard sedan imho. Plus I love the thought of kicking ass in a total sleeper.

And I agree with wanting the manual too. I think the cts-v with a manual is freakin awesome from a driving standpoint even if it is slightly ugly. I've seen one at the track and it's awesome watching him pass Porsche's and Vette's.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #26
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Don't let me kill your dreams that easily!
My parents still drive manual SUVs and sedans and they're in their 60s. My dream isn't dead - I'm standing by the notion that a twin-turbo V8 wagon with a full carbon interior is a sports car for a guy who's wife instructed him that his car had to fit the kids and her luggage. If this kind of poise and power is not for sport, then what the hell IS it for? Sports cars come in many shapes and sizes and to me, they'll always be mated to a manual. That's just my feeling...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #27
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutattoo View Post
And I agree with wanting the manual too. I think the cts-v with a manual is freakin awesome from a driving standpoint even if it is slightly ugly. I've seen one at the track and it's awesome watching him pass Porsche's and Vette's.
I looked at one pretty seriously before getting the S4 but just couldn't drop that much coin on a Caddy. I still LOVE that car and its design.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #28
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I guess we see it differently. I assume your 135i and S4 (and GTI) are/were manuals? I just find heavy cars with flat torque curves to be sort of transmission agnostic. Meaning the auto/dsg option is usually as much or more fun than the manuals.

Give me a light, peaky rwd car with a manual, but I'm sort of mixed on heavier, awd, flat torque curved cars. Note that CTS-V is quicker with an automatic than a manual (as are the N54/N55 cars), not that I'd prefer the auto, but the advance of automatic transmissions, especially in conjunction with torque everywhere, is sort of making manuals look silly on most cars, even, sadly, the 991.

My 73 year old dad still drives a manual FD RX7 and has a Miata, and my mom had a manual Trooper until a few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #29
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, I guess we see it differently. I assume your 135i and S4 (and GTI) are/were manuals? I just find heavy cars with flat torque curves to be sort of transmission agnostic. Meaning the auto/dsg option is usually as much or more fun than the manuals.

Give me a light, peaky rwd car with a manual, but I'm sort of mixed on heavier, awd, flat torque curved cars. Note that CTS-V is quicker with an automatic than a manual (as are the N54/N55 cars), not that I'd prefer the auto, but the advance of automatic transmissions, especially in conjunction with torque everywhere, is sort of making manuals look silly on most cars, even, sadly, the 991.

My 73 year old dad still drives a manual FD RX7 and has a Miata, and my mom had a manual Trooper until a few years ago.
Quicker doesn't always equate to more fun.

It's not about how fast you go, but how much fun you have going fast. Couldn't imagine a 1 being better with a dct even if it beats me at a drag strip, but hey to each his own.

Both options should be available since they would have no issues selling either I'd guess.

I may be wrong, but I think the TTRS is manual only and the R8 has a manual option so it's not like they don't have the tranny in their parts bin.

Might have something to do with emissions and gas mileage is my guess, but I'd really consider it if it had a manual. I've always loved the RS4 avants.

Last edited by blutattoo; 12-05-2012 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #30
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:

I've only owned one auto car and it was a Saab in college and I swore I would never own another. I've held to that thus far. I've said this many times in many threads but I don't care if it's faster. Driving is about involvement. If the car didn't have a steering wheel because satellite technology advanced to the point that cars guided themselves more accurately than a conventional wheel, wouldn't that also decrease driver involvement in a similar manner? Driving, to me, should involve all of my limbs - not just my left hand and right foot.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #31
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've only owned one auto car and it was a Saab in college and I swore I would never own another. I've held to that thus far. I've said this many times in many threads but I don't care if it's faster. Driving is about involvement. If the car didn't have a steering wheel because satellite technology advanced to the point that cars guided themselves more accurately than a conventional wheel, wouldn't that also decrease driver involvement in a similar manner? Driving, to me, should involve all of my limbs - not just my left hand and right foot.
Just continuing the thread hijack. I agree, but also find that auto and DSG boxes have become so much better over the last three to five years that if your only perception of them is dated, you should try the newer batch. As I said, I'll always have something in the garage with the proper amount of pedals, but my wife's cars have taught me that two pedal cars can still be very entertaining, in a way that older cars just didn't seem to be capable of. Most of it has to do with the current trend of diesel like torque curves, but rev matching, quick shifts and the ability to focus more on the racing line and maintaining momentum is a nice advantage too. Somewhat sadly, it looks like the 991 GT3 will be going the flappy paddle route too.

In related news, this thread has reminded me to look for CTS-V wagon with all three pedals. It doesn't make any sense as my daily driver, and the engine would probably never get to operating temperature, but it just seems like part of dying breed and I think I need to own my own little piece of that.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #32
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Getting back on topic... I still want this thing. It's the best looking wagon I've ever seen.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #33
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Getting back on topic... I still want this thing. It's the best looking wagon I've ever seen.
If Porsche builds the Panamera Wagon, it will likely have an available manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #34
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
+1 Definitely great looking car
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #35
Crypty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3

Please tell me it doesn't really have a giant "quattro" across the front.

I like the seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #36
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
If Porsche builds the Panamera Wagon, it will likely have an available manual.
The panamera already is a wagon
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #37
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
Enough with the wagon only RS6. Grow some balls, and bring it to the US in sedan form and compete with the rest of the world.
Yes I agree.

12-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #38
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
The panamera already is a wagon
The Panamera is a hideous hatchback. This concept is a wagon:
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #39
Fox128i
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82

Garage List
2012 128i  [9.50]
Quote:
I still want this thing. It's the best looking wagon I've ever seen.
Sums up my thoughts to a tee. Love it!
      12-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #40
RON1X
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S Guards Red

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
that is one bad ass wagon.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #41
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
Yes I agree.

Much better. Now ship it to the US.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 04:00 AM   #42
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ♥

12-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #43
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

The problem with a traditional manual transmission is that it doesn't do anything well anymore (other than give people a greater sense of involvement).

It's slower around the track compared to paddle shifting variants. It gets worse gas mileage (on average) than most automatic transmissions.

It's great for people who willingly want to be slower around a track in exchange for performing unnecessary and extraneous maneuvers. It provides a "video game" feel to driving.

There seems to be a lot of outcry about the lack of manual transmission on most car forums, but the corresponding sales figures never seem to match. BMW is already scrapping the traditional manual transmission for its next M5. Developing a traditional manual transmission M5 for all of the 7 people who want it just isn't a financially sensible option anymore. It's costing them money.

Ferrari has already caught on and eliminated the traditional manual transmission from its lineup years ago.

Porsche is a little slower on the uptake, possibly because there are sufficient numbers of traditional MT enthusiasts among Porsche owners to make it financially viable.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #44
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
The problem with a traditional manual transmission is that it doesn't do anything well anymore (other than give people a greater sense of involvement).

It's slower around the track compared to paddle shifting variants. It gets worse gas mileage (on average) than most automatic transmissions.

It's great for people who willingly want to be slower around a track in exchange for performing unnecessary and extraneous maneuvers. It provides a "video game" feel to driving.

There seems to be a lot of outcry about the lack of manual transmission on most car forums, but the corresponding sales figures never seem to match. BMW is already scrapping the traditional manual transmission for its next M5. Developing a traditional manual transmission M5 for all of the 7 people who want it just isn't a financially sensible option anymore. It's costing them money.

Ferrari has already caught on and eliminated the traditional manual transmission from its lineup years ago.

Porsche is a little slower on the uptake, possibly because there are sufficient numbers of traditional MT enthusiasts among Porsche owners to make it financially viable.
Those transmissions you're talking about are not automatic transmissions, they are dual clutch transmissions that have an automatic mode. In order to reap the benefits you mention on the track they must be operated in a manual mode which requires the driver to shift. The car mentioned in the post doesn't have either. It would source the existing six-speed auto already in use. Automatic cars on a track are lame, dual clutch cars on a track are fast and for the most part fun, traditional manuals on a track take skill and driver involvement to master, thus the reason purists still like them.

Hey not everybody can drive a manual the right way nor do some people even care about driver involvement. Those that can and do might prefer to be fully engaged rather than shaving .5 sec off a lap at 10/10ths.

As for video game driving, last time I checked an xbox or ps3 controller was only controlled by your hands. Sounds a lot like those other transmissions you were talking about.

Bring the RS6 avant in a manual and I will buy one, even if I am one of the 7 people left on earth who prefer one. That thing is awesome.
Appreciate 0