F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Possible F32 owner soon
GetBMWParts

08-28-2018, 08:37 PM   #1
Averdi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i xDrive

Possible F32 owner soon

Hey guys, I thought this was worth posting in the forum. I currently own a stage 2 2010 335i Xdrive e90 which is currently for sale. I love the car but I'm ready to move on. The m4 has been my dream car and now with a new job I am able to afford it.

So I want to go for a test drive. And let me tell you, I was unfortunately super disappointed. I think I expected something much more then what I felt. Probably because I've been obsessed with it for the last 4 years.

So now I'm thinking about getting myself into a 435i and tuning it. I just feel like it's worth saving an extra 20k for the 435i and that can give me almost just as much pleasure if not more with an eyes 20k saved.

I'd love to hear what you all think
Attached Images

08-29-2018, 12:01 AM   #2
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

What exactly were you disappointed in from the M4? I just think that if you didn't like the M4, what will make you like the 435i? (other than price savings). The 435i will be much softer and less athletic than the M4 that you already didn't like, and I don't know whether performance tunes/mods will be able to fix that.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 12:55 AM   #3
TheShadow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

^OP needs to answer this question. My guess is the HP and yes a 435i tuned could keep up with a stock M4. Just make sure you test drive the 435i and make sure you are getting what you want. Like OP said he was dreaming of a M4 for years and yes the car is a beast in its own way but it is no 700hp monster the way he might of thought it would be when driving. I understand where the OP is coming from. Just do what makes you happy in the long run. Not to mention the M3 and M4 exhaust note is horrible IMO which is a big deal breaker for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 01:44 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

There isn't anything wrong per se with 435.
You just have to be happy with the base vehicle, i.e. 435 and have a budget and a plan for upgrades.

N55 engine offers a lot of potential for those with a goal to improve its performance.

Yet horsepower cannot be added in isolation. You might need to evaluate brakes and suspension as a part of the same project.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 06:35 AM   #5
Averdi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
^OP needs to answer this question. My guess is the HP and yes a 435i tuned could keep up with a stock M4. Just make sure you test drive the 435i and make sure you are getting what you want. Like OP said he was dreaming of a M4 for years and yes the car is a beast in its own way but it is no 700hp monster the way he might of thought it would be when driving. I understand where the OP is coming from. Just do what makes you happy in the long run. Not to mention the M3 and M4 exhaust note is horrible IMO which is a big deal breaker for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
What exactly were you disappointed in from the M4? I just think that if you didn't like the M4, what will make you like the 435i? (other than price savings). The 435i will be much softer and less athletic than the M4 that you already didn't like, and I don't know whether performance tunes/mods will be able to fix that.
I must say I was 100% mostly disappointed with the speed? I know it doesn't sound right but my tuned n54 does better and FEELS faster as well. Obviously the 435 stock is gonna feel much slower. But I know I can put 5k into the 435, Dave 15k, and have a nice tactfully modded m4 killer lol. Idk
      08-29-2018, 07:02 AM   #6
Coercion Shaman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi A5 Prestige S/B

It can often be difficult when you have built up a car in your own head for so long. Rarely will it meet those expectations and no fault of the car itself. Probably a lot of what happened for you.

I've wanted an M3/M4 for a long time. Had the opportunity to buy one a few months ago and, after driving it, decided to get a 440i. Part of that, for me, is probably that I am getting older and personally want to be less sport/handling and more... comfortable. The M4 was great but it would be a daily driver. Now, if it was a weekend car....
      08-29-2018, 09:07 AM   #7
TheShadow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
I must say I was 100% mostly disappointed with the speed? I know it doesn't sound right but my tuned n54 does better and FEELS faster as well. Obviously the 435 stock is gonna feel much slower. But I know I can put 5k into the 435, Dave 15k, and have a nice tactfully modded m4 killer lol. Idk
Aha, my guess was correct . Nothing wrong with that, get a good flash tune, e85 mix, a few small things here and there and you could easily be up there with a stock M4.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 09:17 AM   #8
f32ftw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435 xdrive

I have a full bolt on 435 with ECU tune and I recently drove a stock M4. I was really hoping that the M4 would blow me away but it didn't. That said, I still want an M4 some day. As a daily driver I'd probably stick with my 435 though.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:06 PM   #9
Averdi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32ftw View Post
I have a full bolt on 435 with ECU tune and I recently drove a stock M4. I was really hoping that the M4 would blow me away but it didn't. That said, I still want an M4 some day. As a daily driver I'd probably stick with my 435 though.
That's exactly what I'm saying. Your fbo 435 is probably much more fun to drive. Handleing , suspension, and brakes are obviously better but who knows if it's worth the extra 20k
      08-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
TF3090
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i M Sport

435i exhaust sounds better
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      08-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #11
Averdi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
It can often be difficult when you have built up a car in your own head for so long. Rarely will it meet those expectations and no fault of the car itself. Probably a lot of what happened for you.

I've wanted an M3/M4 for a long time. Had the opportunity to buy one a few months ago and, after driving it, decided to get a 440i. Part of that, for me, is probably that I am getting older and personally want to be less sport/handling and more... comfortable. The M4 was great but it would be a daily driver. Now, if it was a weekend car....
Completely agree 100%. I do have a e53 x5 that I drive for work so it could techniqual be my weekend car but I think the 435i is better for the money. If I drove the m4 and it was everything I expected it'd be a different story
      08-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #12
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

I was in a similar predicament, except i chose the 440i over the M4 without test driving either. My thoughts:

- 300+ hp is plenty for me, and i can add a tune later if I get bored with the power.
- Money left over too modify the car, both due to saving money on the sales price and the aftermarket parts for the F32 are cheaper than for the F82.
- M4 sounds horrible, and i knew I would want to modify the exhaust
- M4 comes base with adaptive suspension, and I knew I would want to modify the suspension with coilovers
- I like the looks of the F32 Msport more than the F82. I've never been a fan of the front end or the centered quad exhaust in the rear.
- Things like bigger brakes and LSD can be retrofitted easily

Really the only thing I want from the M4 but will never get are the wider quarter panels. Other than that, very satisfied with my choice.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:01 PM   #13
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Quote:
I must say I was 100% mostly disappointed with the speed? I know it doesn't sound right but my tuned n54 does better and FEELS faster as well.
Actually debated between M4 and ..... 435i M optioned/fully loaded. Test drove both and have to say besides the horrendous steering 'feel' of the M4, agree the power delivery seems like the M4 is trying too hard to feel like a fast car (instead of actually being like one). OMG i'm gonna get such heck from guys here for saying that, but that's the problem with butt dyno's versus being on a road course race track. Still, the M4's steering is just horrid so that killed it right there. My wife's 2013 X1 with Mich sticky rubber has far better steering feel than the M4.

Quote:
Obviously the 435 stock is gonna feel much slower. But I know I can put 5k into the 435, Dave 15k, and have a nice tactfully modded m4 killer lol. Idk
Not sure what pricing brings you where as there are sooo many options (BM3, etc). BTW the Dinan bits pretty much 'came with' the 435i as it's how we worked the trade deal (traded in a W12 Bentley... unreliable, $$$$ manufacturer defects they don't care to help you with or recall, etc etc.... and depreciation equal to a BMW.... per year!). Anywho, with that said....

Here's what i did.

2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.

Excellent, and smooth linear, acceleration and she pulls hard all the way to redline. My best advice, of course change the CP, but pleeeease remember to get the M LSD. Especially if you live for the twisties as i do.

Have fun, as the N55 / AT8 package is solid! Also remember after tuning to 'reset' the tranny (key in, dash lights on but engine off, hold down accelerator for 30 seconds or some such) so she learns the 'new power' delivery.

Of course what really matters is that you.... enjoy the drive.

PS: She sounds damn good too, yet quiet-ish which is what i prefer. Can tell if i changed out the stock exhaust system she'd sound like a beast... but not much power gains there imho FOR HEARING IT ALL THE TIME as i drive the car.... plus prefer hearing the Focal / powered sub sound system i installed and 1TB SSD with Hi-Res Audio (FLAC) music in the car

JMHO YMMV

To each their own and all that. Totally cool if you love the M4, just wasn't for me.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.

Last edited by enjoythemusic; 08-30-2018 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2018, 10:12 PM   #14
Averdi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Quote:
I must say I was 100% mostly disappointed with the speed? I know it doesn't sound right but my tuned n54 does better and FEELS faster as well.
Actually debated between M4 and ..... 435i M optioned/fully loaded. Test drove both and have to say besides the horrendous steering 'feel' of the M4, agree the power delivery seems like the M4 is trying too hard to feel like a fast car (instead of actually being like one). OMG i'm gonna get such heck from guys here for saying that, but that's the problem with butt dyno's versus being on a road course race track. Still, the M4's steering is just horrid so that killed it right there. My wife's 2013 X1 with Mich sticky rubber has far better steering feel than the M4.

Quote:
Obviously the 435 stock is gonna feel much slower. But I know I can put 5k into the 435, Dave 15k, and have a nice tactfully modded m4 killer lol. Idk
Not sure what pricing brings you where as there are sooo many options (BM3, etc). BTW the Dinan bits pretty much 'came with' the 435i as it's how we worked the trade deal (traded in a W12 Bentley... unreliable, $$$$ manufacturer defects they don't care to help you with or recall, etc etc.... and depreciation equal to a BMW.... per year!). Anywho, with that said....

Here's what i did.

Excellent, and smooth linear, acceleration and she pulls hard all the way to redline. My best advice, of course change the CP, but pleeeease remember to get the M LSD. Especially if you live for the twisties as i do.

Have fun, as the N55 / AT8 package is solid! Also remember after tuning to 'reset' the tranny (key in, dash lights on but engine off, hold down accelerator for 30 seconds or some such) so she learns the 'new power' delivery.

Of course what really matters is that you.... enjoy the drive.

PS: She sounds damn good too, yet quiet-ish which is what i prefer. Can tell if i changed out the stock exhaust system she'd sound like a beast... but not much power gains there imho FOR HEARING IT ALL THE TIME as i drive the car.... plus prefer hearing the Focal / powered sub sound system i installed and 1TB SSD with Hi-Res Audio (FLAC) music in the car

JMHO YMMV

To each their own and all that. Totally cool if you love the M4, just wasn't for me.
Awesome response thanks. Yeah I completely agree though. How fast does your 435i feel? If I'm stepping away from my n54 I need to have something that feels like an upgrade. The looks for the 435i m sport is beautiful
      08-31-2018, 06:35 AM   #15
Averdi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
I was in a similar predicament, except i chose the 440i over the M4 without test driving either. My thoughts:

- 300+ hp is plenty for me, and i can add a tune later if I get bored with the power.
- Money left over too modify the car, both due to saving money on the sales price and the aftermarket parts for the F32 are cheaper than for the F82.
- M4 sounds horrible, and i knew I would want to modify the exhaust
- M4 comes base with adaptive suspension, and I knew I would want to modify the suspension with coilovers
- I like the looks of the F32 Msport more than the F82. I've never been a fan of the front end or the centered quad exhaust in the rear.
- Things like bigger brakes and LSD can be retrofitted easily

Really the only thing I want from the M4 but will never get are the wider quarter panels. Other than that, very satisfied with my choice.
Couldn't agree more. I think the m4 is nicer then the 435i but I don't think it's nice enough to be almost double the price when I can put a few mods on and I'm faster then the m4 lol
      08-31-2018, 02:06 PM   #16
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Quote:
Awesome response thanks. Yeah I completely agree though. How fast does your 435i feel? If I'm stepping away from my n54 I need to have something that feels like an upgrade. The looks for the 435i m sport is beautiful
With the 704 stock suspension she's got good launch and above 4500 rpm to red line comes VERY strong and fast, yet in a smooth manner and good progressive pedal feel. Been meaning to 1/4 mile her yet FL has been a rainfest. DP is very recent and been buried in work.

The larger turbo and software really wake up the N55, and of course a good DP.

She is tame in comfort mode, casual yet nice power (tame to me is fast, but not crazy). In the 'fun modes' she can keep you on your toes. Of course any good performance car requires a driver with skill. Imho where she has now is plenty, not looking to be Mr. 1000HP, at some point more is not always better for street use imho. USABILITY is preferred for me, we're talking public roadways in USA.

Handling is good, but the stock sways could be better. So could the shocks, but then again my Formula 2000 car had triple adjustable Penske mounted on tweak perches. Like anything, how much performance do you want to afford and where does the law of diminishing returns hit hard? It's good to invest a bit more for quality parts, but at some point the search for more power has financial and mechanical stress drawbacks.

If this was Germany....

Sounds to me like you're doing it right. Making a solid plan on config and then working towards it..

Steven

Last edited by enjoythemusic; 08-31-2018 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0