F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Parking Damage, No Note, But I know Which Vehicle It Was
GetBMWParts

04-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I took my children to a National Trust site this afternoon, and parked next to a motorhome. Normally I'd stay well away, but the car park was chokka.

Came back to find the rear bumper scratched and deformed, and white paint dragged through the scratch. Pretty obvious who the culprit is (when you see the photos).

Two problems : 1) it must have been a very slow 'drag' impact as the rear dash cam 'Incident Parking' didn't activate, and, 2) very stupidly I forgot to take a pic before I gave the area a wipe to see how bad the damage was.

My front cam footage while I was parking captured the vehicle reg.

What would you do ? Can it be pursued ? I'm hoping that my local ChipsAway can repair it, but the damage to the moulded part of the number is down to the plastic.

As you cam imagine, I'm totally pissed off.
Attached Images

Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #2
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 340i

Personally I'd ask your insurer what to do but I'd claim. I reckon the camper could of been rented too.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #3
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Don’t go through insurance. It’s a £200 smart repair tops. Annoying as it is, just repair it and get on with life. These things happen unfortunately

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      04-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
Manivxr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
Don’t go through insurance. It’s a £200 smart repair tops. Annoying as it is, just repair it and get on with life. These things happen unfortunately
This
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 05:13 PM   #5
r1cey
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW Golf R

If you've got the reg of the camper van, then why not call the police, and explain what happened, and you have video evidence of you parking next to the van, then returining to find your car damaged. If they can trace it, and it has corresponding damage, then perhaps the owner will admit it.

There was a thread on babybmw where someone got his M140 keyed, and his camera caught the plate of the vehicle he parked next to, and his camera was still running, when the owner of that car returned to it, then strangely but very shiftily kept walking back and forth between his front door and boot, looking abiut, before eventually, and out of camera sight, you heard scraping. Police watched the video, paid him a visit, and he confessed and agreed to pay for the damage.

Here's the link..

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=109032
Rejected: F20 M140i Auto in Valencia Orange
Gone: F30 320i Auto X-Drive M-Sport

Last edited by r1cey; 04-22-2018 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: To add a link to the thread I mentioned...
Appreciate 1
JD64263.50
      04-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
That’s too much damage and too close to the parking sensor for a smart repair, it needs to be bumper off and easier to respray whole bumper than blending in just that area.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #7
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Looks a few hundred pounds damage. I feel for you!
Good luck with finding the cnut.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 12:24 AM   #8
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Hi mate, about a month ago I had damage in the very same place, had the bumper of, repaired and sprayed by a trusted local body shop. The deformed area on mine was over a slightly larger area, they heated it to push it all out.

Do you have blind spot warning on the car? Apparently they can't be repaired because of the sensors behind the bumper. But even yours would be minimal.

Here's mine before and after. Where are you located roughly? I was well happy with the place I used in Milton Keynes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 01:25 AM   #9
DonDP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 330d / Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShambolt View Post
Hi mate, about a month ago I had damage in the very same place, had the bumper of, repaired and sprayed by a trusted local body shop. £220 all in. The deformed area on mine was over a slightly larger area, they heated it to push it all out.

Do you have blind spot warning on the car? Apparently they can't be repaired because of the sensors behind the bumper. But even yours would be minimal.

Here's mine before and after. Where are you located roughly? I was well happy with the place I used in Milton Keynes.
Can you share the place you used please, not that I need it right now but, may be handy in the future, and always good to have a recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 01:47 AM   #10
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

I doubt theres anything you can do although you & most on here know it was the van, no video & no witness's, get a smart repair & go from there..

Evdok

Appreciate 1
moonshine849.00
      04-23-2018, 01:59 AM   #11
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers chaps.

I think it's just about smart repairable, but the sensor is scratched and will probably need to be replaced.

This is not going to be an own insurance claim, but I'll call the police and see what they say. My car doesn't have blindspot cameras and the Thinkware dashcam didn't trigger, so I doubt they'll do anything.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 02:06 AM   #12
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Do you not have motion recording set on your thinkware? Mine records all sorts of people walking past my car😂

Worst think they probably didnt even know they clipped your car.... and doubt the police will be bothered as there were no injuries.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 02:22 AM   #13
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
Do you not have motion recording set on your thinkware? Mine records all sorts of people walking past my car

Worst think they probably didnt even know they clipped your car.... and doubt the police will be bothered as there were no injuries.
Yes, parking sensor is set (and sensitive) but didn't trigger. Shame, otherwise it's be a slam dunk.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 03:13 AM   #14
aquazi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Yes, parking sensor is set (and sensitive) but didn't trigger. Shame, otherwise it's be a slam dunk.
Sorry i mean the camera motion not the car motion?

I get two sets of alerts when i get back to my car.... event detection (car physically shakes) and motion alert (camera sees something moving) your rear camera should have seen the van move.

On the Thinkware app the parking image stores things moving.... event stores things shaking the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 03:49 AM   #15
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShambolt View Post
Hi mate, about a month ago I had damage in the very same place, had the bumper of, repaired and sprayed by a trusted local body shop. £220 all in. The deformed area on mine was over a slightly larger area, they heated it to push it all out.

Can you share the place you used please, not that I need it right now but, may be handy in the future, and always good to have a recommendation.
Autowerx in MK, they were recommended by a friend after my last guy retired. Tried them out spraying my MP kit, did a top notch job, wasn't expecting to be using them for a repair so soon. They really looked after the car and did a good job, they removed all the sensors before spraying unlike some places that mask them.

They had a Ferrari California there when I was there and they seem to do a lot or Porsche restoration work. Always a good sign. I'm in no way affiliated with them, just a happy customer.

http://autowerxmk.co.uk
Appreciate 2
simon.922.00
DonDP47.50
      04-23-2018, 03:56 AM   #16
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
Sorry i mean the camera motion not the car motion?

I get two sets of alerts when i get back to my car.... event detection (car physically shakes) and motion alert (camera sees something moving) your rear camera should have seen the van move.

On the Thinkware app the parking image stores things moving.... event stores things shaking the car.
Good reminder. Just checked and Motion Detection was switched off. FFS. It's on now, and Incident Parking sensitivity has been reduced (made more sensitive).

The Thinkware cam paid for itself several times over when I got hit on the M25, but looks like I'm not going to be so lucky this time.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 04:39 AM   #17
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Local police have recommended submitting details of a 'failed to stop' incident online.

I can't make out the vehicle manufacturer in the photos. First thoughts are a Renault motorhome/van. Any thoughts ?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 04:44 AM   #18
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Local police have recommended submitting details of a 'failed to stop' incident online.

I can't make out the vehicle manufacturer in the photos. First thoughts are a Renault motorhome/van. Any thoughts ?
Could be an older variant VW transporter.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 04:48 AM   #19
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

You have the registration number so go onto road tax checker it will give you details

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

Difficult to see from the photo but if it is KV53 CEF then it is a VW.

Last edited by saltyamigo; 04-23-2018 at 04:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 04:49 AM   #20
aquazi
Major
Rep

Quote:

VOLKSWAGEN LT 35 TDI LWB 2003

Registration number: KV53 CEF
Body type: Motor Home/Caravan
Colour: White
Date of first registration: September 2003

good luck - hope you get somewhere with it - hate hearing/ seeing this happen all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 04:49 AM   #21
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Quote:

KV53CEF
VOLKSWAGEN LT 35
Check another vehicle

Colour
White
Fuel type
Diesel
Date registered
16 September 2003
MOT valid until
3 October 2018

Snap

Last edited by simon.; 04-23-2018 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: Beaten, just
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 04:53 AM   #22
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys - great help
Appreciate 0