F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > If you VO code ECUs but don't write the FA back to the car....
GetBMWParts

05-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

If you VO code ECUs but don't write the FA back to the car....

...you might end up a little confused, as I did when I got my car back from the dealer after a partial update.

The dealer was attempting to fix a poor quality audio problem from a snap-in adapter. Rather than updating the entire car, they just updated a single ECU (KISA, I think).

Previously, I had VO coded my car to remove 5AP and 8S4 to enable the oh-my-gosh cool active headlights. (NHTSA is, literally, keeping us in the dark on the roads at night with 1970s regulations on headlights.)

I guess I could've waited until dark to see if the update they did re-wrote the factory FA to the car but I wanted to also turn on actual TPMS in iDrive.

Since I last coded my car in September, 2014 it was time to update to the latest (and far smaller) PSdZData and E-Sys Premium (courtesy of the always-responsive shawnsheridan).

Got everything working...and loaded the FA. Of course, 5AP and 8S4 were there because I'd never written the modified FA back to the car!.

The great thing, of course, about not writing a modified FA to the car when you do something that requires a VO code, like enabling active headlights, is that when the dealer gets the car hooked up to BMW's systems, the factory FA and the car agree.

But the next time you load the FA, you get...the factory FA.

It's all a little confusing. But it's only a couple of minutes work to re-VO code the ECU. But then you have to also re-apply any FDL changes. Since the headlights are in FEM_BODY, it means you have to re-apply must-have changes like folding mirrors with the fob.

Keeping all this straight is what makes coding so much fun.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

You should be able to write the FA to the car and that shouldn't create any issues when dealer do upgrades....

issue is when you add different hardware like retroffiting a new ecu
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
You should be able to write the FA to the car and that shouldn't create any issues when dealer do upgrades....

This.

Changing stuff in the VO and writing it back shouldn't interfere with dealership updates.
      06-02-2015, 11:37 PM   #4
rdubmd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M-Sport PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post

Fortunately for me I have removed the those two items for HBA and when the dealer did the upgrade, there weren't any issues and the HBA was enabled without me having do any coding afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 11:46 PM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdubmd View Post
Fortunately for me I have removed the those two items for HBA and when the dealer did the upgrade, there weren't any issues and the HBA was enabled without me having do any coding afterwards.
exaclty
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
I've loaded the 9C FSC code for 6NR BMW Apps for a guy before and I enabled extended Bluetooth by changing 6NH to 6NK on his FA. I only wrote 6NR to his FA and not the 6NK.

Funny part was, when his car got reprogrammed at the dealer he didn't lose BMW Apps but he wasn't able to use it because his USB port won't accept his iPhone. I just added the 6NK back and he was fine.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0