F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Tech Package versus Navigation only
Studio RSR

06-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Tech Package versus Navigation only

Trying to compare the Tech package and the Navigation only. From what I can determine the only thing the Tech package gives you over the Navigation is the Head-Up display. I'm not certain if you also do not get the Advanced Dash Cluster Display that gives you things such as Navigation directions displayed on the dash cluster. Can anyone confirm what you do not get if you go with Navigation instead of the Tech Package?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

I have nav only (in my U.S.-spec F34), and I do get nav messages in the instrument cluster. (Too bad at least 50% of them are useless, incorrect, or outright dangerous.)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The HUD I have on my vehicle is one of the best options I ever have chosen on any vehicle. Once you have one and have used it, you'll miss it on any other vehicle. The newest ones are in full color. It really helps to keep distractions down, and there should never be an issue about how fast you're going as you have to almost look through the display to see the road (it is adjustable in height so you can get it where you prefer). Having the road name, distance, and intersection shape shown on the HUD means you do not have to be distracted by looking at either the instrument cluster or the nav display itself...in fact, you can pretty much switch the display to anything else you may prefer, as all of the nav stuff you typically need is shown in the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
The HUD I have on my vehicle is one of the best options I ever have chosen on any vehicle. Once you have one and have used it, you'll miss it on any other vehicle. The newest ones are in full color. It really helps to keep distractions down, and there should never be an issue about how fast you're going as you have to almost look through the display to see the road (it is adjustable in height so you can get it where you prefer). Having the road name, distance, and intersection shape shown on the HUD means you do not have to be distracted by looking at either the instrument cluster or the nav display itself...in fact, you can pretty much switch the display to anything else you may prefer, as all of the nav stuff you typically need is shown in the HUD.
+1!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Get the tech package. Every buyer who didn't get it probably wishes he did (ask me, lol!)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
64-bit
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 Ford Raptor - On Order

I got nav only as well, the central cluster display arrows and directions.

I can stream audio thru bluetooth as well

I only use polarized sunglasses and 95% of the tines I drive my car on daylight

So the HUD was not worth for me as you already know, polarized glasses dont see HUD
      06-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
marlin2911
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Garage List
Correct - the only thing Tech adds over the NAV is the HUD. I had a loaner with a HUD once - couldn't see it with polarized sunglasses, and I don't find that its something that I would really want to spend an extra $900 on. Sure it's nice, but I don't think it's a 'must have' option.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
daberlin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EBII MPPK/BBK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin2911 View Post
Correct - the only thing Tech adds over the NAV is the HUD. I had a loaner with a HUD once - couldn't see it with polarized sunglasses, and I don't find that its something that I would really want to spend an extra $900 on. Sure it's nice, but I don't think it's a 'must have' option.
I have HUD on my F30 and love it. Would get it on future cars. A great way to keep eyes locked on the road instead of the gadgetry. I too wear polarized glasses, however when I need to drive through a complex nav route, I have no issue with flipping my glasses on top of my head. And unlike others, I drive at night too. And don't wear sunglasses. Corey Hart references welcome but not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
Danman5666
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

I still can use HUD with polarized glasses, just got to look at it a different angle.

I don't care what anyone says, it's an awesome feature. No regrets on that.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport Stage 1 GS

I wear polarized as well, and I can still see HUD without having to change the angle of view. It is about 50% dimmer with the sunglasses on, but I can still see it no prob. Must be dependent on manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-bit View Post
I got nav only as well, the central cluster display arrows and directions.

I can stream audio thru bluetooth as well

I only use polarized sunglasses and 95% of the tines I drive my car on daylight

So the HUD was not worth for me as you already know, polarized glasses dont see HUD
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #11
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin2911 View Post
i agree with this. for $900 its too much just for a heads up display. id rather spend it on HK or lighting.

When you get Nav, you get the extended instrument cluster which will display all the navigation information you need. the HUD is just an "extension"...so instead of looking at the cluster...you keep your eyes on the road.

although i think the Tech package also adds bmw apps?
      06-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
although i think the Tech package also adds bmw apps?
Nope thats included with Nav.

So the HUD is nice, its just not $900 nice.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0