F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > '13 F30 Xdrive springs--H&R Now available!
proTUNING Freaks

04-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #67
gamechanger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x

Thanks mikli

My email address is silver_01bora@hotmail.com

If possible can you take few pictures
One from the side
One for the front wheel showing the gap (if possible with tape measurement showing fender to ground)
One for the rear wheel showing the gap

Thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikli View Post
What's your email?

One more thing, Guys. I wouldn't waste your money on the oem sport springs with 10mm drop unless you DIY or your labour is free. You hardly could tell.
If you pay $75-$100 for the oem then spend the right money on the install (2-3 hours) and alignment at a good rep shop. Dont waste your money and Just go for the new set of H&R only around $250. Pt#28878-2.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #68
overkill1125
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
What's your email?

One more thing, Guys. I wouldn't waste your money on the oem sport springs with 10mm drop unless you DIY or your labour is free. You hardly could tell.
If you pay $75-$100 for the oem then spend the right money on the install (2-3 hours) and alignment at a good rep shop. Dont waste your money and Just go for the new set of H&R only around $250. Pt#28878-2.
Is it confirmed that the H&R is compatible with xdrive or is it just do it now and hope that there would be no problems in the future?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #69
MMOTION
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like you'll never drive again

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill1125 View Post
Is it confirmed that the H&R is compatible with xdrive or is it just do it now and hope that there would be no problems in the future?
Definitely "do at your own risk" as H&R specifically states only for non-xdrive F30. However, numerous people including myself ran "i" specific springs on my old E90 xdrive and didn't run into any drivetrain problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #70
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05F36F16F82E90E86E46E36E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill1125 View Post
The part itself installed without a problem.

It is always "do it at your own risk" with any aftermarket mod. Even if you have a RWD F30 and installed the H&R springs then if a year later your shocks blow. H&R would not cover your old shocks. There are too many factors involves from the install to use.

If you want to be OEM safe then do not mod, period.

I have been doing aftermarket stuff for many years. One thing to remember is not to cheap out on the install. Find a good shop to do it and get a four wheel alignment after any suspension job.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #71
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamechanger View Post
Thanks mikli

My email address is silver_01bora@hotmail.com

If possible can you take few pictures
One from the side
One for the front wheel showing the gap (if possible with tape measurement showing fender to ground)
One for the rear wheel showing the gap

Thank you so much.
What wheels do you have?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #72
gamechanger
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What wheels do you have?
Thanks

got the picture,

currently have 17" black csl reps for winter
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #73
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamechanger View Post
Thanks

got the picture,

currently have 17" black csl reps for winter
Still cold in Toronto?? Run some 19" soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #74
gamechanger
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Still cold in Toronto?? Run some 19" soon.
nope, is nice and warm now

No $ for new wheels, i'm selling my stocks , so far no bite, until tell i'll have to run on stock rims

Thanks for the pics again
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #75
overkill1125
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
The part itself installed without a problem.

It is always "do it at your own risk" with any aftermarket mod. Even if you have a RWD F30 and installed the H&R springs then if a year later your shocks blow. H&R would not cover your old shocks. There are too many factors involves from the install to use.

If you want to be OEM safe then do not mod, period.

I have been doing aftermarket stuff for many years. One thing to remember is not to cheap out on the install. Find a good shop to do it and get a four wheel alignment after any suspension job.
Your answer has nothing to do with original question.
Obviously modding is always at own risk and staying oem is the safest but installing a part that clearly states is not made for is asking for it.

There has to be some reason why H&R springs are not available for xdrive cars. If it fits without problem, I'm damn sure they would advertise it and increase sells for all 3 series.

It in fact it was made for the xdrive, I truly believe that the majority of sells will come from xdrive owners since our cars sits so high.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #76
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Can anyone confirm if the dampers and/or ARBs are the same on M Sport RWD cars and M Sport xDrive cars (or non-M Sport RWD cars)? Is it just the springs that account for the ride height drop?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #77
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCperformance View Post
Can anyone confirm if the dampers and/or ARBs are the same on M Sport RWD cars and M Sport xDrive cars (or non-M Sport RWD cars)? Is it just the springs that account for the ride height drop?
RWD will be 10mm lower than x drive in M sport. M sport x drive suspension is like sport line sport suspension xDrive if you don't get the EDC option. Check the dealer's option spec sheet when you are buying. All xDrive will have the same ride height.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #78
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
RWD will be 10mm lower than x drive in M sport. M sport x drive suspension is like sport line sport suspension xDrive if you don't get the EDC option. Check the dealer's option spec sheet when you are buying. All xDrive will have the same ride height.
Thanks Mikli - yes, this makes sense. But is the ride height difference just a matter of different springs, or are the dampers and ARBs different too?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #79
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Mikli - yes, this makes sense. But is the ride height difference just a matter of different springs, or are the dampers and ARBs different too?
According to ZWS M Sport Package for the xDrive; it doesn't include the M Sport Suspension. Hence the xDrive M Sport and Sportline suspension are the same.

ZWS - M Sport Package xDrive
M Sport Package
Sport Seats
M Leather Steering Wheel
M Aero Package
High Gloss Shadow Line
Anthracite Roof liner
Dakota Leather
Trims, Tires

Hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #80
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
According to ZWS M Sport Package for the xDrive; it doesn't include the M Sport Suspension. Hence the xDrive M Sport and Sportline suspension are the same.
Hope it helps.
Right - understood. Just wondering what all is included in the Sport suspension on RWD M Sport cars... obviously springs, but I assume different dampers too. And maybe thicker/stiffer ARBs?
      04-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #81
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diagnosic View Post
...I have a 335i xDrive (12/12) with the M-package. My opinion: the suspension of this car is rubbish. It is shaking and rumbling and therefore I hate it....
Diagnostic, did you opt for the M Adaptive Suspension?
      04-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #82
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Right - understood. Just wondering what all is included in the Sport suspension on RWD M Sport cars... obviously springs, but I assume different dampers too. And maybe thicker/stiffer ARBs?
on RWD M Sport Package include the stiffer springs, dampers and sway bars. I would go for the Dynamic Handling Package for just $1k more as well. It's nice on the road.
That's less than 1/3 the cost of coilovers plus install. Unless you really want to slam or may track the car then KW or Bilstein is an option.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #83
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
on RWD M Sport Package include the stiffer springs, dampers and sway bars. I would go for the Dynamic Handling Package for just $1k more as well. It's nice on the road.
That's less than 1/3 the cost of coilovers plus install. Unless you really want to slam or may track the car then KW or Bilstein is an option.
Yep, that was my thought as well...
I like the idea of the M Adaptive adjustment. I test drove an F30 M Sport 335 xDrive with the M Adaptive suspension a few days ago, and really liked it. There was just a bit more body roll and understeer than I like - even in the Sport Plus setting. But since I'd like to retain the EDC function in the M Adaptive suspension, that leaves springs and ARBs as options for tuning.

Do you know if the M Adaptive suspension on a RWD car uses the same dampers as an xDrive car? Given the ride height is different, I'm sure the springs are different... but maybe the EDC dampers are the same (?) If they're the same, then maybe lower/stiffer springs would get me right where I want to be.
      04-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #84
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep

If for the xDrive then would be a tough call for me too. I wanted a comfy xDrive car as I have my 911 for sport and I never really use the EDC on my E90 M3. So I'd opt for the Lux line w/o sport on this F30. I like the look of mine now.
How sporty do you want? 1 to 10 You have snow in your area? but I notice you got a X5 and you like to keep your cars for a few years, right? Best to invest on an option that is right for you. Take a look at the my photo with the H&R on higher post. Is that ride height acceptable? If you get the H&R springs on the adaptive suspension be nice but you can't adjust the height back up. Or go without the adaptive suspension and upgrade to a set of H&R coilovers, PSS10 or KW V2 / V3. They transform the car with a firm but not a GT3 race car ride; about a 6-7/10. I've a friend with KWv2 on his sport line, another with a brand new all oem M sport xDrive and my Lux line on H&R springs.
Springs are mostly really for the look and not much in handling gain; the sway bars will flatten the corners but your alignment must be adjusted to maximize the benefit of each upgrade. +/- under/over steering etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #85
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Yep, that was my thought as well...
I like the idea of the M Adaptive adjustment. I test drove an F30 M Sport 335 xDrive with the M Adaptive suspension a few days ago, and really liked it. There was just a bit more body roll and understeer than I like - even in the Sport Plus setting. But since I'd like to retain the EDC function in the M Adaptive suspension, that leaves springs and ARBs as options for tuning.

Do you know if the M Adaptive suspension on a RWD car uses the same dampers as an xDrive car? Given the ride height is different, I'm sure the springs are different... but maybe the EDC dampers are the same (?) If they're the same, then maybe lower/stiffer springs would get me right where I want to be.
Aaron, I had this same question as well, "was the difference in height due to "springs only" or spring/strut combo?", in regards to adaptive suspension on M sport xdrive versus non-xdrive M sport. I checked the part numbers and the adaptive M struts are indeed different part numbers xdrive verus non-x. With that being said, in the following couple of weeks I am going to put non-xdrive OEM sport springs on my xdrive with adaptive M suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #86
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillbilly View Post
Aaron, I had this same question as well, "was the difference in height due to "springs only" or spring/strut combo?", in regards to adaptive suspension on M sport xdrive versus non-xdrive M sport. I checked the part numbers and the adaptive M struts are indeed different part numbers xdrive verus non-x. With that being said, in the following couple of weeks I am going to put non-xdrive OEM sport springs on my xdrive with adaptive M suspension.
Yes, I just confirmed this as well with the good folks at GetBMWparts.com... all different part numbers for springs, dampers, and ARBs.

Looking forward to your comparison of your car's ride before and after swapping-in the OEM M Sport springs!
      05-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #87
giorgioarmani
Private
Rep
Drives: silver m sport 335i & 19s

h&r has a spring set up for the f10 5 xd so i imagine it is only a matter of time till we get something. Personally had h&r springs on numerous cars and always been happy so this is what im waiting for. unless i decide to splash out on the m6 gc comp pack instead and say to hell with the 3.....jk
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #88
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Installed the oem sport springs on the 335 MSport xdrive (with adaptive susp) today. Decreases body roll and you can tell a difference in the ride height too. I'm still on my oem wheels (with winter tires) but the summer 19s are on their way. I was gonna post a photo but it looks just like every other eb2 MSport (nonX)! I'll post longer term updates but so far so good. Will consider a switch to coil overs next summer.

Last edited by Kankles; 05-04-2013 at 07:22 AM..
Appreciate 0