F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Need recommendations for tire/spacer specs for 428i Xdrive
GetBMWParts

06-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
ManceboF32
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i Xdrive M Sport EB II

Need recommendations for tire/spacer specs for 428i Xdrive

Hey guys,

Need suggestions for tire sizes and spacer widths for a set of Vossen CVT 19x8.5 et 40 & 19x10 et 55.

These would be for my 2014 428i Xdrive as a summer /fall set up.

Currently have the the base 1 piston front and rear brake set up but have a set of 4 piston brembo fronts and 1 piston rear setup from a 335 that i would like to add later on if it should be considered when selecting a spacer. Do intend to drop the car on Bilstein B14 whenever i can find a set too.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

tire size 235/40R19 front, 265/35R19 rear

10mm spacer front, 12.5 or 15mm rear. be sure to check the manufacturer notes because some 10mm may not fit due to the hub lip. you may also have to remove the dust caps. you'll need extended lug bolts.

although it is more unsightly(imo), consider replacing extended lug bolts with a stud kit.

i speculate you got a good deal on the rims however in the future consider getting rims with the appropriate offset. it is better than running spacers with extended lug bolts.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
ManceboF32
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i Xdrive M Sport EB II

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post

i speculate you got a good deal on the rims however in the future consider getting rims with the appropriate offset. it is better than running spacers with extended lug bolts.

Thanks for all the info! Yeah, they were on clearance for 1100 shipped to my door i thought it would be better than reps or used wheels. In hind sight i should of just spend a little more considering what spacers are going to cost but cant return them unfortunately. Again, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Sorry for threadjacking, actually it is related
alohasurftoad I finally ordered KW V1, do you think my summer wheels 18x8.5ET38 with 255/40 MPSS will look odd lowered without spacers? I feel like my winter 400M with 225/45R18 will definitely need them.
Also, do you still recommend turner stud conversion kit or motorsporthardware is ok?
If I feel like the summer setup needs spacers will I need the alignment again after installing them?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 07:38 PM   #5
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Sorry for threadjacking, actually it is related
alohasurftoad I finally ordered KW V1, do you think my summer wheels 18x8.5ET38 with 255/40 MPSS will look odd lowered without spacers? I feel like my winter 400M with 225/45R18 will definitely need them.
Also, do you still recommend turner stud conversion kit or motorsporthardware is ok?
If I feel like the summer setup needs spacers will I need the alignment again after installing them?
i don't think it will look odd, however it may be slightly more tucked than you prefer. after your car is lowered and aligned(camber set) you can determine what size spacer you need. an alignment may be needed if you run a large spacer but i speculate a 5mm or 7.5mm is all you'll need, depending on how much camber is added after lowering. you may even elect to have different sized front and rear spacers even though your setup is square.

if money is no object, turner is awesome. there are many other stud kits, such as apex and macht schnell. i have motorsport hardware(least cost) it's been fine although there's a hint of surface rust on some studs.

stud kits are ideal if you want to play around with different sized spacers
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i don't think it will look odd, however it may be slightly more tucked than you prefer. after your car is lowered and aligned(camber set) you can determine what size spacer you need. an alignment may be needed if you run a large spacer but i speculate a 5mm or 7.5mm is all you'll need, depending on how much camber is added after lowering. you may even elect to have different sized front and rear spacers even though your setup is square.

if money is no object, turner is awesome. there are many other stud kits, such as apex and macht schnell. i have motorsport hardware(least cost) it's been fine although there's a hint of surface rust on some studs.

stud kits are ideal if you want to play around with different sized spacers
Thanks buddy. So I won't need studs if I'm only running 5-7.5mm spacers? Will I need longer bolts in that case?
EDIT: Is this the one I need? Seems to be on 80% sale, it's like 67 for 20 studs and open conical nuts https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...bmws/?pdk=AwEE

Last edited by thatBimmerBloke; 03-09-2020 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:03 PM   #7
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks buddy. So I won't need studs if I'm only running 5-7.5mm spacers? Will I need longer bolts in that case?
EDIT: Is this the one I need? Seems to be on 80% sale, it's like 67 for 20 studs and open conical nuts https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...bmws/?pdk=AwEE
if you don't have a stud kit and you use spacers, you will need appropriately longer lug bolts. nice sale price on the turners. you'll need to buy the appropriate length stud for you spacer size. if the stud is long and the spacer is thin, a lot of the stud tip will stick out and may look goofy, imo.

btw i'm glad you finally picked the KWV1. it's what i would've have picked after all that. your wishy washy between the bilstein and kw was killing me
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #8
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
if you don't have a stud kit and you use spacers, you will need appropriately longer lug bolts. nice sale price on the turners. you'll need to buy the appropriate length stud for you spacer size. if the stud is long and the spacer is thin, a lot of the stud tip will stick out and may look goofy, imo.
Any idea what size stud I'd need for 10-12mm spacer so that it isn't sticking out too much? I guess I should just wait until after the install to see what kinda spacer I'd need. But for my winter setup (225/45) I think it'll require at-least 10mm.

EDIT: Looks like I need 75mm studs for spacers ranging from 3-12mm as per this: https://thebuildjournal.com/tech-gui...uds-size-guide
Does it look right?
I guess that's why 75mm has no sale at all, probably the popular option that most people use

Last edited by thatBimmerBloke; 03-09-2020 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #9
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Any idea what size stud I'd need for 10-12mm spacer so that it isn't sticking out too much? I guess I should just wait until after the install to see what kinda spacer I'd need. But for my winter setup (225/45) I think it'll require at-least 10mm.
tbh, i'd just use the same spacers for the winter. you really don't want it flush anyhow because more crap will sling up the sides. plus...are people really noticing how nice or flush your wheels are with snow and ice on the car, wheels and tires?

from what i've quickly read you'll want the 75mm length for thin spacers or 82mm if spacers are thicker. you may opt for the hub extender if the spacer are thin and you need to extend the hub, however whatever they sent me did not fit so i didn't use them.

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 03-09-2020 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #10
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
tbh, i'd just use the same spacers for the winter. you really don't want it flush anyhow because more crap will sling up the sides. plus...are people really noticing how nice or flush your wheels are with snow and ice on the car, wheels and tires?

from what i've quickly read you'll want the 75mm length for thin spacers or 82mm if spacers are thicker. you may opt for the hub extender if the spacer are thin and you need to extend the hub, however whatever they sent me did not fit so i didn't use them.
I guess you were replying to my post when I was editing it 😄 Indeed, 75mm seems to be the right choice. I'll just wait and see how the summer wheels look once the car is lowered. You are right, I'll just have 5 or 7mm spacers for winters also. I'm already slinging everything onto the sides with just 225/45 on stock 400M, even going over a barely existing puddle
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #11
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Quote:
I guess you were replying to my post when I was editing it 😄 Indeed, 75mm seems to be the right choice. I'll just wait and see how the summer wheels look once the car is lowered. You are right, I'll just have 5 or 7mm spacers for winters also. I'm already slinging everything onto the sides with just 225/45 on stock 400M, even going over a barely existing puddle
What did you end up doing for studs? I'm looking at these... it's almost time to swap back to summer. Seems like the right ones and will accept up to 12mm spacer. I was trying to order from Kies, but they're on backorder and their listings are super confusing.

https://www.apexraceparts.com/access...-stud-kit.html
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 06:58 PM   #12
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
btw i'm glad you finally picked the KWV1. it's what i would've have picked after all that. your wishy washy between the bilstein and kw was killing me
haha, thanks man! I didn't see this part yesterday, you probably edited it after I had already seen it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post
What did you end up doing for studs? I'm looking at these... it's almost time to swap back to summer. Seems like the right ones and will accept up to 12mm spacer. I was trying to order from Kies, but they're on backorder and their listings are super confusing.

https://www.apexraceparts.com/access...-stud-kit.html
Nothing yet, I'll first see how the summer wheels look with the car lowered on coilovers. I feel like the narrower winter wheels/tires will need the spacers for sure. This Apex stud kit seems reasonable, not sure if it is rustproof, apparently motorsport hardware isn't. Turner had a great sale on 82mm studs but we need only 75mm otherwise they will poke out more than necessary and look odd.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:42 PM   #13
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

All the 10.9 steel studs are basically the same. They're likely to get a hint of surface rust after some time. The msi studs turner offers are probably better but they cost way more. MRG has titanium for 400 if you feeling baller status.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...70&postcount=1

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 03-13-2020 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 10:26 PM   #14
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All the 10.9 steel studs are basically the same. They're likely to get a hint of surface rust after some time. The msi studs turner offers are probably better but they cost way more. MRG has titanium for 400 if you feeling baller status.
haha, nope, not feeling it
I think 75mm Apex stud kit that BeerHerder posted looks good, I'm inclined towards trusting Apex more than motorsport I believe they are cheaper also.
Appreciate 2