F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Accidently unplugged POSITIVE first (not negative)
ARMA SPEED

04-25-2022, 04:01 PM   #1
derek.megyesi
M-Experienced
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive50e AWD SUV

Garage List
Accidently unplugged POSITIVE first (not negative)

Hi all,

I am terribly nervous. I had to do some maintenance on my 430XI (F36) yesterday and in my haste to disconnect the car battery, I removed the POSITIVE (RED +) (not the negative, it stayed connected).

Everything got done, but when I put back on the positive, it sparked a bit. I tightened it up, and everything seem fine (no weird sounds or glitches).

I am terribly worried (and at myself) now. Did I cause hidden damage, by undoing the POSITIVE first (not the negative)?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 07:29 PM   #2
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 2016 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek.megyesi View Post
Hi all,

I am terribly nervous. I had to do some maintenance on my 430XI (F36) yesterday and in my haste to disconnect the car battery, I removed the POSITIVE (RED +) (not the negative, it stayed connected).

Everything got done, but when I put back on the positive, it sparked a bit. I tightened it up, and everything seem fine (no weird sounds or glitches).

I am terribly worried (and at myself) now. Did I cause hidden damage, by undoing the POSITIVE first (not the negative)?
I don't think that would cause any issues … you should have removed the negative before connecting positive and then connect negative. But a little sparks are common whether you disconnect positive or negative. Don't worry about it 😊

Retrofits: NBT evo ID6, 6wb cluster, heated steering wheel, HUD, Kafas2 with LDW, SLI, HBA, FCW and pedestrian warning, LCW, Surround View, Parking Assist and ACC with Stop
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2022, 05:07 AM   #3
xxfinity
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435xi

freespirit is correct. There is always a spark when you connect the battery.

Since the car body is grounded, if you were to loosen the positive terminal with a metal wrench and the wrench touches the car body, it would short and cause quite a spark. Potentially damaging the battery and welding your wrench to the car body, to wherever it touched. Happened to me once lol. But it was on a car without a AGM battery.

Sounds like you that didn't happen to you. So you all good.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2022, 06:23 AM   #4
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfinity View Post
Since the car body is grounded, if you were to loosen the positive terminal with a metal wrench and the wrench touches the car body, it would short and cause quite a spark. Potentially damaging the battery and welding your wrench to the car body, to wherever it touched.
Which is why you should always remove rings when disconnecting the battery. If your ring becomes the ground between the wrench and the car body, the ring heats up and burns your finger.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 10:23 AM   #5
xxfinity
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435xi

TRUE. Never actually thought about that before lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 08:04 PM   #6
derek.megyesi
M-Experienced
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive50e AWD SUV

Garage List
Thanks, everyone for the advice. I have some more interior work to do, so I will make sure to unplug the NEGATIVE going forward.
Appreciate 0