F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Motor Trend: 335i xDrive reviewed versus S4, ATS, IS350, S60
proTUNING Freaks

07-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #67
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRyd View Post
If all the raindrops where butter-cups and gum-drop, oh what a world this would be! (Sing it!)

And where will BMW be with it's new engin's and second genereation EAS in the future

Lalalalala

Kevin
I agree, playing catch up is not what caddy wants to do. but you have to give them credit for producing a solid platform. drivetrain changes can be made.
      07-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #68
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
People criticize the N55? Seems to be a pretty advanced engine with DI, VANOS, pretty immediate turbo spool. I suppose compression ratio could be higher, but the fuel economy numbers are pretty impressive for an engine with this kind of performance. Wonder if they will base the new M3 engine off of it.
Yeah. On this forum, all the time, people thought there should have been some sort of N55 replacement with the 4 series debut. I agree with you. The N55 is a gem of efficiency and power, flexibility, usable torque. Why replace it at this point? I think BMW is doing the right thing proliferating it like mad through the entire lineup and pairing it with the ZF 8AT is just a perfect drivetrain.
      07-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #69
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive MSport EBII

//agree!

Now featuring MPPK if you are so inclined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
Yeah. On this forum, all the time, people thought there should have been some sort of N55 replacement with the 4 series debut. I agree with you. The N55 is a gem of efficiency and power, flexibility, usable torque. Why replace it at this point? I think BMW is doing the right thing proliferating it like mad through the entire lineup and pairing it with the ZF 8AT is just a perfect drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #70
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
Hmm, I'm on here pretty regularly, but seemed like the only thing people clamored for was a more powerful tune from the factory, like a 440i setup with a stg 2 tune on the N55 putting down ~ 340 lb-ft of torque "at the crank."
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #71
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive MSport EBII

Nah, people were arguing that putting the N55 in an F30 was a step backwards because there was no power increase for the new model. They were calling the N55 Old and un-inspiring.

Kevin

Quote:
Hmm, I'm on here pretty regularly, but seemed like the only thing people clamored for was a more powerful tune from the factory, like a 440i setup with a stg 2 tune on the N55 putting down ~ 340 lb-ft of torque "at the crank."
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #72
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
Wow!!! Is there a possibility of a stage 2 MPPK ?
The competition hasn't even caught up yet, why change a good thing

Was a delete option exercised just now?

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #73
xpidex
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Sline

I think been in a BMW forum you will not go to far trying to go against a BMW F30. However time will tell the fate of this new generation. You can find other comparison test all over the web and they will give the edge to the S4 or MB. At the end these are subjective opinions and choices; the same we do when we decide what to buy. I’ve seen cases (including this comparison from mortotrend) that some cars will have performance summer tires vs all season and they try to make the test objective which is not fair by any means.

In my opinion I don’t know if going away from the handling is a real winner for BMW but if that what most people wants; let it be. I recently test drove an S4 2013 (3 days ago) and I have to be honest I was surprise on what this car is capable to the point I’m considering to buy one next year.

For those that might think I praise for Audi, I own an e90 and I love it; you don’t know how hard was for me to go there and try the S4 (and looking for flaws); but when I tried last yr 328 F30 I was disappointed, loved the interior and styling but it was no longer fun to drive.

These are my 0.02 cents and I still need to test drive a 335 xdrive w/ sport package and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #74
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpidex View Post
I think been in a BMW forum you will not go to far trying to go against a BMW F30. However time will tell the fate of this new generation. You can find other comparison test all over the web and they will give the edge to the S4 or MB. At the end these are subjective opinions and choices; the same we do when we decide what to buy. I’ve seen cases (including this comparison from mortotrend) that some cars will have performance summer tires vs all season and they try to make the test objective which is not fair by any means.

In my opinion I don’t know if going away from the handling is a real winner for BMW but if that what most people wants; let it be. I recently test drove an S4 2013 (3 days ago) and I have to be honest I was surprise on what this car is capable to the point I’m considering to buy one next year.

For those that might think I praise for Audi, I own an e90 and I love it; you don’t know how hard was for me to go there and try the S4 (and looking for flaws); but when I tried last yr 328 F30 I was disappointed, loved the interior and styling but it was no longer fun to drive.

These are my 0.02 cents and I still need to test drive a 335 xdrive w/ sport package and see what happens.
Try the ATS too, its handling is on par with the E46.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #75
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Why don't BMW get on with releasing the M Performance model proper? As prev posters note the 335i is modded with PPK and brakes.

Personally when I buy my next BMW I don't want to have to add bits afterwards for it to be an equivalent Audi competitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #76
xpidex
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Try the ATS too, its handling is on par with the E46.
Their CUE system is huge down for me; specially in cold weather (I'm in Canada) I know how touch screen reacts. But is there for considaration for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #77
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

That was a neat read- all great cars.. though the nose of the Lexus is ugly, I like the side profile.

I don't know why a national magazine would test awd cars instead of rwd for a group test. I live in a notoriously snowy city, and unless you make weekly trips to ski country, there is no need for awd... and even then it's only going to save you from getting stuck on a very hilly unplowed surface. I owned a WRX wagon before my 3er, it was awesome with snows... but I got stuck in that car and have never been stuck in my 330i, go figure. I can't fathom exchanging upfront cost, fuel economy and sport suspension for awd. I have driven xi bmws, they're great, just not required for driving in a snowy climate.
Just the other night I stopped by my local dealer to see if they had a 328i with a stick to test drive... not only was every single car an automatic, they were all xi. The car companies really have people "snowed" into thinking awd is a necessary option.
It would have been interesting to see what the results of the test had included a 335i with the staggered performance tire option. Although the xi might show a quicker 0-60 time due to traction, I have to think the way they felt about how it drove as well as slalom and 60-0 numbers would have been even more favorable.

And as said above... a 328xi would probably still have beat the same other 4 cars in this comparison and would have been much more $$ attractive.
      07-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #78
Leo88
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E92 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpidex
I think been in a BMW forum you will not go to far trying to go against a BMW F30. However time will tell the fate of this new generation. You can find other comparison test all over the web and they will give the edge to the S4 or MB. At the end these are subjective opinions and choices; the same we do when we decide what to buy. Ive seen cases (including this comparison from mortotrend) that some cars will have performance summer tires vs all season and they try to make the test objective which is not fair by any means.

In my opinion I dont know if going away from the handling is a real winner for BMW but if that what most people wants; let it be. I recently test drove an S4 2013 (3 days ago) and I have to be honest I was surprise on what this car is capable to the point Im considering to buy one next year.

For those that might think I praise for Audi, I own an e90 and I love it; you dont know how hard was for me to go there and try the S4 (and looking for flaws); but when I tried last yr 328 F30 I was disappointed, loved the interior and styling but it was no longer fun to drive.

Well the differences between an S4 and a 328 are the same of an 328 vs a 335. In my opinion To be a fair comparion you need to test drive a 335 m sport with adaptive suspensions.

Btw i wont buy a car that is at the end of it's life cicle, in 2014-2015 Audi will release a new A4 with better interior and reduced weight. Still they will put the traction in the wrong wheels, but out there a lot of people don't care about that...
      07-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #79
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
That was a neat read- all great cars.. though the nose of the Lexus is ugly, I like the side profile.

I don't know why a national magazine would test awd cars instead of rwd for a group test. I live in a notoriously snowy city, and unless you make weekly trips to ski country, there is no need for awd... and even then it's only going to save you from getting stuck on a very hilly unplowed surface. I owned a WRX wagon before my 3er, it was awesome with snows... but I got stuck in that car and have never been stuck in my 330i, go figure. I can't fathom exchanging upfront cost, fuel economy and sport suspension for awd. I have driven xi bmws, they're great, just not required for driving in a snowy climate.
Just the other night I stopped by my local dealer to see if they had a 328i with a stick to test drive... not only was every single car an automatic, they were all xi. The car companies really have people "snowed" into thinking awd is a necessary option.
It would have been interesting to see what the results of the test had included a 335i with the staggered performance tire option. Although the xi might show a quicker 0-60 time due to traction, I have to think the way they felt about how it drove as well as slalom and 60-0 numbers would have been even more favorable.

And as said above... a 328xi would probably still have beat the same other 4 cars in this comparison and would have been much more $$ attractive.
The rwd cars were tested multiple times and there are even more complaints about the suspension than in the case of the xdrive

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833436

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...50_comparison/

Last edited by 300hp; 07-16-2013 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #80
eMvy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD4 View Post
Makes no sense why BMW fully-loaded a demo car only to handicap it by choosing the xDrive.
Yes, especially with this quote directly from the review "As Angus MacKenzie often states, RWD is the proper way to build a car."

When BMW starts sending xDrive vehicles to performance shootouts the two prominent emotions are confusion and concern for a multitude of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #81
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMvy View Post
Yes, especially with this quote directly from the review "As Angus MacKenzie often states, RWD is the proper way to build a car."

When BMW starts sending xDrive vehicles to performance shootouts the two prominent emotions are confusion and concern for a multitude of reasons.
The rwd had been tested, they needed another test and this is why they only tested awd cars

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #82
Menez
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 X3 3.0i

I stopped reading once it said that the BMW had the laziest handling of the group. IMO that's the most important section, and BMW has failed miserably with the F30. I'll take an E90, or better yet, an E46.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #83
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703
Quote:
People criticize the N55? Seems to be a pretty advanced engine with DI, VANOS, pretty immediate turbo spool. I suppose compression ratio could be higher, but the fuel economy numbers are pretty impressive for an engine with this kind of performance. Wonder if they will base the new M3 engine off of it.
Agree. They're getting high 4s performance out of the N55 in this application, there's really no reason to try to make the car faster than it is. How fast is fast enough?

I bet most of their R&D is going into the electric and hybrid engines right now.
      07-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #84
xpidex
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo88 View Post
Well the differences between an S4 and a 328 are the same of an 328 vs a 335. In my opinion To be a fair comparion you need to test drive a 335 m sport with adaptive suspensions.

Btw i wont buy a car that is at the end of it's life cicle, in 2014-2015 Audi will release a new A4 with better interior and reduced weight. Still they will put the traction in the wrong wheels, but out there a lot of people don't care about that...
Sorry I didn't mean to compare the 328 vs S4 (no way they are in the same league) and like you said will be like comparing to 335.

I currenlty have 2010 328 and I was comparing that one vs the F30 (I did last yr) and the reason why I choose the e90 vs F30. My only regret is that I've should pick a 335 instead. This is the reason why I'm looking to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #85
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMvy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD4 View Post
Makes no sense why BMW fully-loaded a demo car only to handicap it by choosing the xDrive.

But it was supposed to be a test of AWD cars. What should they have sent?
      07-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #86
eMvy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
The rwd had been tested, they needed another test and this is why they only tested awd cars

I see your point, but unlike AUDI, BMW's principle and most capable platform is RWD. What is MT trying to prove unless you introduce tests focused on AWD capabilities, e.g., ice, now, etc.?

Let the best of each segment show up unless you want to focus on the aforementioned capabilities of AWD, instead of simply the best in class.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #87
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMvy View Post
I see your point, but unlike AUDI, BMW's principle and most capable platform is RWD. What is MT trying to prove unless you introduce tests focused on AWD capabilities, e.g., ice, now, etc.?

Let the best of each segment show up unless you want to focus on the aforementioned capabilities of AWD, instead of simply the best in class.
They even made a nice little video of the S4 vs F30 335i RWD.

Everything had been done, they needed something new

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #88
xpidex
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo88 View Post
I think you must of the time get the better value with cars getting close to the end of the life cycle (from price, packages, interest rates) specially LCI type of cars (by this time they know what went wrong w/ gral problems). However it will be must affected by true depreciation, but again usually you can get crazy deals due to this and offset the difference.

On my test drive for the S4 I notice it is definitely heavy on the front (better than previous model; my friend has S4 2008 and you can tell) but with the sport torque differential and DCT transmission; it really feels different. It's not bad or good is just different sensation and you have to adjust your driving to get the best out of this combination.

I’m due for a test drive on the 335 w sport package and let’s see what happens.
Appreciate 0