F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW and Paris Photo Celebrate 10 Year Partnership with BMW M1 Art Car Display
ARMA SPEED

04-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW and Paris Photo Celebrate 10 Year Partnership with BMW M1 Art Car Display

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW and Paris Photo Celebrate 10 Year Partnership with BMW M1 Art Car Display
COMMENTS
Name:  P90042928-highRes.jpg
Views: 2537
Size:  183.9 KB

BMW and Paris Photo celebrate the tenth anniversary of their partnership with Andy Warhol’s 1979 BMW Art Car at the inaugural Los Angeles Fair. BMW Debuts Burlesque Style Photos at Paris Photo LA.

Los Angeles.
At the inaugural fair of Paris Photo at LA’s Paramount Pictures Studios, BMW is proud to present the M1 BMW Art Car by Andy Warhol, created by the pop artist in 1979, as well as rare making of footage of this work. Originally raced in Le Mans, Warhol in his own words meant to “give a vivid depiction of speed. If a car is really fast, all contours and colors will become blurred.”

Since 1975, prominent artists from throughout the world have designed BMW automobiles of their times, all making extremely different artistic statements. The seventeen exhibits created for the Art Car Collection until now include works by well-known artists such as Frank Stella, Roy Lichtenstein, Robert Rauschenberg, David Hockney, Jenny Holzer, Olafur Eliasson and Jeff Koons. The Art Cars reflect the cultural and historical development of art, design, and technology and have been presented by major museums around the world, including the Guggenheim and the Louvre.

BMW will also present a mini series of Burlesque Style Photos with the 6 Series Gran Coupe by internationally renowned German photographer Uwe Düttmann. Four photos showcasing the 650i Gran Coupe in a retro setting celebrate film noir as well as the extraordinary sensuality of the best of burlesque vis-à-vis the high-tech design of one of the most advanced automobiles of our time.

Two years ago at a Hollywood studio and a private movie set outside of Los Angeles, BMW realized its idea of showcasing the 650i Gran Coupé in this unique manner. As befits the character of the shoot, 15 different photographs inside and outside the Gran Coupé present the two models acting out signature burlesque poses. The pictures will be presented within an environment paying tribute to their origins. Returning back home to LA, they are exhibited at the fair for the very first time.

“BMW is pleased to be involved in the inaugural Paris Photo LA,” said Ludwig Willisch, President and CEO, BMW of North America. “We are particularly looking forward to bringing out Andy Warhol art car and debuting our new photos.”

BMW and Paris Photo celebrate the tenth anniversary of their partnership. As it has in Paris, BMW will provide VIP shuttle service during Paris Photo Los Angeles. For many years, the BMW Group has worked together with great photographers from Bettina Rheims and Bryan Adams to Karl Lagerfeld. The company has been involved in the arts for over four decades with hundreds of initiatives worldwide. In 2005, at the opening of Zaha Hadid’s BMW Leipzig plant, BMW donated its unique collection of commissioned photographs by Thomas Demand, Wolfgang Tillmans, Rineke Dijkstra, Candida Höfer and Thomas Struth, among others, to the Leipzig Museum of Fine Arts. When it comes to promoting young outstanding photographers, among many other international cooperations, BMW has been active in providing scholarships for international artists in Germany as well as France, where residences have been set up at the Musée Nicéphore Niépce. In addition, BMW for many years has been engaged with Les Recontres Arles, the acclaimed summer photography festival. As a long-term partner of Art Basel, Art Basel Hong Kong, Art Basel Miami Beach, Frieze London and New York as well as Tefaf Maastricht an many other fairs worldwide, BMW has taken in active part of furthering the visibility and innovative spirit of photography as an established form of artistic expression. Whenever possible, the company has complied with artist’s request to allow for photo shootings at our plants around the world. In 2014, the overall yearly theme of the BMW Museum will be “Photography.”

Name:  P90100536-highRes.jpg
Views: 2306
Size:  452.1 KB

Name:  P90042928-highRes.jpg
Views: 2537
Size:  183.9 KB

Name:  P0013766.jpg
Views: 2359
Size:  241.3 KB

Name:  P0002915.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  218.2 KB

Name:  P0001251.jpg
Views: 2187
Size:  193.3 KB

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Most cars couldn't pull that off but the M1 looks amazing
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

I can't tell from the post, is this a public event or private event?

Nevermind, I found it.

http://www.parisphoto.com/losangeles/

Seems way more art/photography than car...I guess it's not really that interesting for me.

Last edited by dreamspeed; 04-22-2013 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

That M1... Oh boy.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerJP View Post
That M1... Oh boy.
It's amazing how fresh it looks considering it's age.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

Saw it on display a couple of years ago along with the lichtenstein 320, stella csl and rauschberg 6er. I just got my 1:18 model of warhols m1 a couple of weeks ago. It looked brilliant even that size
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Aaahh the 80's, FTW!
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed
I can't tell from the post, is this a public event or private event?

Nevermind, I found it.

http://www.parisphoto.com/losangeles/

Seems way more art/photography than car...I guess it's not really that interesting for me.
This was at paramount studios where i work. There was a huge 20 car fleet of 750i's as complimentary shuttle services. I will post pics when i can. Didnt want to pay $20 to see this thing though but I should have went to check out the car in person.

Last edited by pkimM3r; 04-29-2013 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0