F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bent wastegate actuator, turbo replacement
Studio RSR

08-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
CTNYCLurk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335 FBO

Bent wastegate actuator, turbo replacement

I have a stock 2013 335i that has been giving me limp mode once overboost conditions are logged. I took it to an indie shop and vacuum hoses, pressure converter, MAF sensors were swapped around. The tech at the indie shop eventually recommended to get a re-flash of the car, as the DME was programmed prior to me purchasing it. I took it to a bmw dealership here, and they charged me about 400$ for the reflash, and it did not fix my problem. I went back to the dealership, and a couple days later, get a call saying my wastegate actuator is severely bent, and that my turbos would need to be replaced, a cost estimate of 5700$. Also, because the rod is connected directly to the turbo, you cannot "fix" the rod, and instead need to change the entire turbo set up. I called BMW of NA, and because my car is out of warranty by a couple months, but under the 40k mark, they may help me out, which I highly doubt.

Can anyone provide any insight on if this sounds like bs or maybe it is true? Is my only option to replace the turbos? Are there aftermarket turbos which cost way less then the proposed 5700$? Could I somehow flash a tune on my car, and then program the car to never trigger the overboost?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTNYCLurk View Post
I have a stock 2013 335i that has been giving me limp mode once overboost conditions are logged. I took it to an indie shop and vacuum hoses, pressure converter, MAF sensors were swapped around. The tech at the indie shop eventually recommended to get a re-flash of the car, as the DME was programmed prior to me purchasing it. I took it to a bmw dealership here, and they charged me about 400$ for the reflash, and it did not fix my problem. I went back to the dealership, and a couple days later, get a call saying my wastegate actuator is severely bent, and that my turbos would need to be replaced, a cost estimate of 5700$. Also, because the rod is connected directly to the turbo, you cannot "fix" the rod, and instead need to change the entire turbo set up. I called BMW of NA, and because my car is out of warranty by a couple months, but under the 40k mark, they may help me out, which I highly doubt.

Can anyone provide any insight on if this sounds like bs or maybe it is true? Is my only option to replace the turbos? Are there aftermarket turbos which cost way less then the proposed 5700$? Could I somehow flash a tune on my car, and then program the car to never trigger the overboost?

You can get a pure stage 2 turbo upgrade for like $2500.

http://www.pureturbos.com/store/bmw-...e-stage-2.html
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
$5700 for a single twin-scroll turbo replacement? Doesn't sound right. I recall that both turbos on the N54 engine could be purchased for about $4200, so the single twin-scroll turbo shouldn't be that expensive. Checking REALOEM for the part number and Tischer BMW for the price, it's about $2255, with an original MSRP of $2820. It also shows a separate part number for "set wastegate actuator" for just under $300.

What they're telling you doesn't sound quite right. If the wastegate actuator can be purchased separately, why do they want you to get a complete replacement turbo and for such a high price? Did they give you a breakdown on parts and labor?

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
F30RiK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' 335 xdrive M-sport 6 Speed

I have the bill from my new n55 turbo from the last owner, 4200$ cad for the part only, total 6000$ cad with the labour and gaske / accesories
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Huh? 435i N55 turbo is $1700 from Dinan, and that has ~30 more flow. Five hours labor i think. Am i missing something?

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
XCRN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, 1995 525i

Perhaps they are swapping the entire piece, exhaust manifold and the compressor. It seems Dinan, Pure, etc sell the turbo minus the manifold while BMW is trying to sell it to you with the manifold. Just an uneducated guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #7
CTNYCLurk
Private First Class
Rep

BMW cannot just replace the set wastegate actuator, hence why they want to swap out my entire turbo set up. my turbo and manifold are all OK as per the tech, he even told me to try to find a salvage car and take the set wastegate actuator and replace that piece only, it looks like the actual rod that goes into the wastegate is angled compared to the bolts and such
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
BMW cannot just replace the set wastegate actuator, hence why they want to swap out my entire turbo set up. my turbo and manifold are all OK as per the tech, he even told me to try to find a salvage car and take the set wastegate actuator and replace that piece only, it looks like the actual rod that goes into the wastegate is angled compared to the bolts and such
So the actuator rod is part of the turbo assembly itself and not part of the actuator? How exactly would that rod get bent? Those are the questions I'd be asking them. Check the diagram on realoem.com for confirmation, although I didn't see an actuator rod when I looked. It could be that the wastegate itself is part of the manifold/turbo combination since they are shown as one part.

Last edited by RoundelM3; 08-09-2017 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 07:29 AM   #9
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRN View Post
Perhaps they are swapping the entire piece, exhaust manifold and the compressor. It seems Dinan, Pure, etc sell the turbo minus the manifold while BMW is trying to sell it to you with the manifold. Just an uneducated guess.
From the REALOEM diagram, it appears that the turbo and manifold are one part/assembly. The aftermarket turbos are generally just the compressor side of the turbo.

Appreciate 1
      08-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #10
CTNYCLurk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
From the REALOEM diagram, it appears that the turbo and manifold are one part/assembly. The aftermarket turbos are generally just the compressor side of the turbo.
correct that it appears as one set, I was told though they are available in two separate assemblies (not through BMW direct), I'm going to do some digging on it. they were unsure as to how it was bent, I originally had a thought that the previous owner had done something to the car, and this just makes that thought more concrete. the DME was flash tuned, BMW re-flashed it for me and it didn't fix the problem, the wastegate actuator rod is cocked into the assembly, someone might have screwed around with this accidently and caused the issue, I attached two pictures below, you can see the angles compared to the bolts are off. I need to confirm that a shop can do the work of replacing the actuator with rod before digging into salvage sites to retrieve one. it wasn't my intent to replace my working turbos with aftermarket ones
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 07:10 AM   #11
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I wonder whether the previous owner replaced the compressor side of the turbo and damaged the actuator rod in the process? Can't think of anything that would bend it under normal operation. Hope you can resolve it without having to buy a new turbo assembly, but if you end up having to do that, getbmwparts dot com is the place to buy it from. Just be sure you have the correct part number from REALOEM dot com.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #12
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Huh? 435i N55 turbo is $1700 from Dinan, and that has ~30 more flow. Five hours labor i think. Am i missing something?
That's the casing itself it doesn't include the manifold and waste gate and rod that's part of the manifold.

Dinan is basically a pure stage 1 setup.
      08-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #13
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
correct that it appears as one set, I was told though they are available in two separate assemblies (not through BMW direct), I'm going to do some digging on it. they were unsure as to how it was bent, I originally had a thought that the previous owner had done something to the car, and this just makes that thought more concrete. the DME was flash tuned, BMW re-flashed it for me and it didn't fix the problem, the wastegate actuator rod is cocked into the assembly, someone might have screwed around with this accidently and caused the issue, I attached two pictures below, you can see the angles compared to the bolts are off. I need to confirm that a shop can do the work of replacing the actuator with rod before digging into salvage sites to retrieve one. it wasn't my intent to replace my working turbos with aftermarket ones
Quote:
Quote:
It sure does look bent. How the heck did that happen? I'm assuming from a previous repair job someone like used it as leverage to pry on or something along those lines. Sucks, I hope you get this resolved.
      08-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #14
CTNYCLurk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar View Post
It sure does look bent. How the heck did that happen? I'm assuming from a previous repair job someone like used it as leverage to pry on or something along those lines. Sucks, I hope you get this resolved.
Update: After 3 weeks of submitting the original case, BMW of NA has decided they cannot help me due to the car being modified by the previous owner. Sounds like I'm stuck calling junkyards/etc to find a salvaged bmw or the turbo... does anyone know how much the average cost a shop would charge on replacing the turbo/the actuator rod.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 05:49 PM   #15
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar View Post
Update: After 3 weeks of submitting the original case, BMW of NA has decided they cannot help me due to the car being modified by the previous owner. Sounds like I'm stuck calling junkyards/etc to find a salvaged bmw or the turbo... does anyone know how much the average cost a shop would charge on replacing the turbo/the actuator rod.
It's all subjective where you go and what rates but it's a bit of a PITA to get to but I wouldn't pay more than $200 bucks.
      08-30-2017, 11:49 AM   #16
CTDrifter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i

$2700 for an OE remanufactured turbo from ECSTuning.

Not sure where you're located but there's a few Indy shops around Hartford area that may give you a good price.

Do you have the tools to DIY? Turbo replacement isn't hard, just time consuming.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 11:57 AM   #17
CTNYCLurk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDrifter View Post
$2700 for an OE remanufactured turbo from ECSTuning.

Not sure where you're located but there's a few Indy shops around Hartford area that may give you a good price.

Do you have the tools to DIY? Turbo replacement isn't hard, just time consuming.
The thing is though, I don't need to replace the turbo. It's the rod that is bent, what I did was found a used turbo off of ebay, and will see once it comes in if the actuactor with rod is replaceable, if that is the case, I will change the rod only as my turbos have less than 37k miles on them

Hartford area indy shops, got any names? I've been to minihaus out in westbrook, and I've also talked to Inline Automotive but will go to them once I get the piece in hand and see
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 12:26 PM   #18
CTDrifter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i

What is bent, the wastegate rod? The rod is part of the wastegate and just pinned to the flapper valve, easy to replace. The flapper valve is welded together through the turbo, if the flapper valve arm is bent you would likely need to remove turbo to fix it. I had a place in Ohio rebuild my N54 turbos and they fixed the worn out flapper valve for about $100 a turbo.

Glastonbury Foreign Automobiles may be a good place for service.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 07:04 AM   #19
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
The thing is though, I don't need to replace the turbo. It's the rod that is bent, what I did was found a used turbo off of ebay, and will see once it comes in if the actuactor with rod is replaceable, if that is the case, I will change the rod only as my turbos have less than 37k miles on them
Remember - you only have ONE turbo on your N55.

That said - let's hope the one you found on eBay is the correct model for your specific production date. Starting in June or July of 2013, they changed to EWG from PWG, and there might be a slight difference in the actuator. Keeping our fingers crossed for ya! BTW, I'm originally from New Hartford, NW of you on Rte 44. You might check for indy shops in Avon/Simsbury/Canton area.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 10:03 AM   #20
CTNYCLurk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDrifter View Post
What is bent, the wastegate rod? The rod is part of the wastegate and just pinned to the flapper valve, easy to replace. The flapper valve is welded together through the turbo, if the flapper valve arm is bent you would likely need to remove turbo to fix it. I had a place in Ohio rebuild my N54 turbos and they fixed the worn out flapper valve for about $100 a turbo.

Glastonbury Foreign Automobiles may be a good place for service.
yes the wastegate rod is bent, I have not seen the flapper valve to see if it is screwed up, but let's see.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 10:04 AM   #21
CTNYCLurk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Remember - you only have ONE turbo on your N55.

That said - let's hope the one you found on eBay is the correct model for your specific production date. Starting in June or July of 2013, they changed to EWG from PWG, and there might be a slight difference in the actuator. Keeping our fingers crossed for ya! BTW, I'm originally from New Hartford, NW of you on Rte 44. You might check for indy shops in Avon/Simsbury/Canton area.
yeah, I purchased one after contacting the seller, confirmed it would fit my f30, if it doesn't, I have a 30 day return policy that I will use lol. thanks for the input
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 10:32 AM   #22
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
yeah, I purchased one after contacting the seller, confirmed it would fit my f30, if it doesn't, I have a 30 day return policy that I will use lol. thanks for the input
You're welcome! Let us know how things turn out. Changing that rod is probably going to be a relatively tough job due to the limited access on that side of the engine from above and below.

Appreciate 0