F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Follow Our Live Updates on New BMW Navigation (Comes Nov.) and New iDrive Touchpad
proTUNING Freaks
Closed Thread

07-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #23
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Jason:

Besides the touchwheel on the physical iDrive controller, the rest of the upgrades are all software related.

Any hint as to whether those of us with the non-touch F30 iDrive will still get the software enhancements like faster response, realtime weather, etc?

BJ
The upgrades to the Navigation Professional system that are coming to the current generation BMWs as of July production (and Nov. production for the F30) have nothing to do with the iDrive touchpad controller system that will also be covered during the press conference.

As the first post states, we won't see the iDrive touchpad system on any BMW model until next year at earliest, with the likely introduction in the next gen F15 X5.

And yes, like the others have stated earlier in this thread, the Navigation updates coming to current models is not only software based, but also incorporates hardware upgrades.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezz View Post
I am prepared for the swath of angry 2012/2013 (especially 2013) people who have ordered/built their cars...
Or the trickle of customers changing their orders to F10...
      07-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #25
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Or the trickle of customers changing their orders to F10...
Went to drive a used 2011 535i, loaded (navi, premium etc) with 11k miles today... 6MT. Only $44k and that's before negotiating...

Might chop my F30 order and get my deposit back (it's already in production, but I don't really care. I can get my deposit back whenever in CA.)

I am really, really against buying a brand new BMW with 6 year old technology that is t-minus 90 days of being updated. Probably sounds kind of whiny but it really is a deal breaker for me. I've considered ordering an an F10, but buying a used one at $44k (vs $62k) is much more attractive.

This is actually a pretty tough decision at this point. I am used to BMW making it so easy & justifiable to spend the extra cash; that just "go for it" attitude. But in this case it is very much the other way around. Weird perspective change to say the least!

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #26
martianpc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

My car is waiting for the boat to come over and I am tempted to say screw it and wait. My biggest fear is that they will stop development for the existing iDrive and release better apps and Android support only for the new one. I have android, and I would be so furious if that happened.
      07-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #27
bringonthenite
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post

I am really, really against buying a brand new BMW with 6 year old technology that is t-minus 90 days of being updated. Probably sounds kind of whiny but it really is a deal breaker for me. I've considered ordering an an F10, but buying a used one at $44k (vs $62k) is much more attractive.

This is actually a pretty tough decision at this point. I am used to BMW making it so easy & justifiable to spend the extra cash; that just "go for it" attitude. But in this case it is very much the other way around. Weird perspective change to say the least!
I will probably go to see my CA tomorrow and postpone my build. If they can do it, so can I.
Good luck with the path you choose!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #28
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

So here's my take on this. Yep, I've ordered a 2013 F30 328i MSport, and I'm apparently going to be getting the "older" CIC navigation system. Am I slightly disappointed? Sure. Am I going to cry and whine and throw a fit? Nope.

I love technology, but along with that love, I'm also used to the fact that it changes faster than we can keep up with it. As soon as one buys "the latest and greatest", something else is already in development and being released. Maybe I'm less disappointed because I'm coming from a 2008 E92 with the CCC (DVD-based) system, but nevertheless, the current navigation system is nothing to sneeze at. The touchpad system won't be available in a 3-series for quite some time, and it still remains to be seen whether or not it will even be beneficial. Yeah, better hardware performance is always a plus, but by the time the touchpad system is released, there will probably be yet ANOTHER hardware upgrade.

Point is, if you're trying to always have the "latest and greatest", I hope you find your enjoyment in small doses....because you're looking at a short timeframe before your hardware and software is outdated again. Enjoy your technology for what it is instead of constantly comparing it to the latest developments.
      07-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #29
martianpc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
So here's my take on this. Yep, I've ordered a 2013 F30 328i MSport, and I'm apparently going to be getting the "older" CIC navigation system. Am I slightly disappointed? Sure. Am I going to cry and whine and throw a fit? Nope.

I love technology, but along with that love, I'm also used to the fact that it changes faster than we can keep up with it. As soon as one buys "the latest and greatest", something else is already in development and being released. Maybe I'm less disappointed because I'm coming from a 2008 E92 with the CCC (DVD-based) system, but nevertheless, the current navigation system is nothing to sneeze at. The touchpad system won't be available in a 3-series for quite some time, and it still remains to be seen whether or not it will even be beneficial. Yeah, better hardware performance is always a plus, but by the time the touchpad system is released, there will probably be yet ANOTHER hardware upgrade.

Point is, if you're trying to always have the "latest and greatest", I hope you find your enjoyment in small doses....because you're looking at a short timeframe before your hardware and software is outdated again. Enjoy your technology for what it is instead of constantly comparing it to the latest developments.
I mostly agree with you... However, I do not like paying 3100 for the tech package with outdated tech. If they are releasing a new iDrive so be it. The fact that they did it in a mid model year change ticks me off. The price doesnt go up for it. Why should I pay the same amount for old tech (a few years old that is) when the newest is right around the corner in just 3 months. A great example is the iPhone. The 4 comes out, $199. The 3s goes to 50-99. We metaphorically have the 3s in our current builds, but BMW isnt dropping the price of the tech. I dont want to pay full price for outdated hardware in my NEW 2013 expensive car when some other guy with a 2013 paid the same price but got a better car because he waited 3 months to order..
      07-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #30
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martianpc View Post
I mostly agree with you... However, I do not like paying 3100 for the tech package with outdated tech. If they are releasing a new iDrive so be it. The fact that they did it in a mid model year change ticks me off. The price doesnt go up for it. Why should I pay the same amount for old tech (a few years old that is) when the newest is right around the corner in just 3 months. A great example is the iPhone. The 4 comes out, $199. The 3s goes to 50-99. We metaphorically have the 3s in our current builds, but BMW isnt dropping the price of the tech. I dont want to pay full price for outdated hardware in my NEW 2013 expensive car when some other guy with a 2013 paid the same price but got a better car because he waited 3 months to order..
But the new tech isn't out yet....it's not out until November. Did you get a discount on the iPhone4 when the specs of the iPhone4S were released? Nope...you waited until the product was on the market.
      07-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #31
martianpc
Private
Rep

The difference being that cars are sold on Model Years. 2012, 2013, 2014. If you went out bought a 4S and so did a friend but his had better specs for the same model wouldn't you feel short changed.

I feel short changed. Not saying tech doesn't update in a rapidly changing world. Just that I feel screwed since BMW is putting this into some models like the F10 starting with July production. The tech IS already out, we are just getting leftover stock off the shelf.
      07-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #32
TLennox
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

I agree, BMW royally screwed this one up. Not right with the new model F30 12 or 13's not being able to upgrade their systems. BMW should allow the install of the new hardware for existing F30 owners at a discounted price. They should have installed the new hardware capable of running the new software on all cars before launch. Have Nav which is just an activation that could be signed up for at purchase or even afterwards. The company In turn would have made a lot more money and customers would have been happy. Instead they have no uniformity in there software or hardware. They may want to take a clue from Apple, 1 IOS with system upgrades for everyone. Glad not everyone is a naive and maybe this should be a deal breaker for some when buying 50 to 60k car.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #33
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep

It's a lot harder to do system/integration testing than you guys are realizing. BMW is not going to sell the new hardware until they have been able to successfully do quality testing on the integration. If they sold the new hardware/software in existing models, and it didn't work, you guys would be b!tching about quality going out the door.
      07-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #34
Blue_Sky
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: --

This is definitely a deal breaker for me too!!! For sure going to cancel my order.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #35
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Wait until they come out with a power bump in 2014 lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #36
greg-s
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 msport - enamored

I just got my m-sport production number last week after waiting for what feels like an eternity and find myself leaning toward cancelling and waiting for November production now.

I liken this type of upgrade to generations of MS Windows. It takes several years between iterations... and while largely cosmetic (which isn't without significance), there are tangible gains in UI optimization, latency, integration capabilities and overall functionality that I, personally, would rue not having. For most, this update is not worth cancelling/postponing. But for those of us who put a high premium on their technology environments it's difficult to not stir over this. 4 years of innovation on the car's primary interface is a big deal.

At this point they should have just waited until MY 2014 to bring this to the F30. They're going to give my friend at Kelly Blue Book an ulcer trying to work this variable into their database.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #37
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
It's a lot harder to do system/integration testing than you guys are realizing. BMW is not going to sell the new hardware until they have been able to successfully do quality testing on the integration. If they sold the new hardware/software in existing models, and it didn't work, you guys would be b!tching about quality going out the door.
That is a fair point.

However, they are able to use the new system to pimp the hybrid 3 so they must have a reasonable confidence level that it has been sufficiently quality tested. I think people ordering F30s from July onwards are being unfairly discriminated against. They are still expected to pay top Dollar for the media package but they get the old technology.

No wonder BMW have been so coy about the changes. If I hadn't read about the (significant) hardware changes in this forum, all I would have seen was a few pictures of the new screen. They must be worried about getting F30 orders cancelled. Luckily for them, I chose an F10 when I cancelled my F30 order. Others might jump ship altogether from the brand.

This was a major factor in my decision to change. Yes, technology changes a lot but this isn't some unknown future change - this is out there already but if you order an F30 you can't have it because, er, you just can't.
      07-09-2012, 01:56 AM   #38
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Luckily for them, I chose an F10 when I cancelled my F30 order. Others might jump ship altogether from the brand.
Honestly, all of this really comes down to production costs. Obviously, there was no one in the room that was fighting for BMW to delay the new Nav so they could intentionally screw over the early 2013 folks. There must be a surplus of parts of some sort that they need to use up prior to November, or some sort of coding/software platform that won't be updated til then on the assembly line. Long story short, there is some 'logical' argument somewhere in existence that we need to remember.

That being said, the strongest point here is that BMW has absolutely zero consideration of the handful of people who are 'affected' by this issue (read: those who are paying attention to the fact that there is a new nav system coming 3mo after 2013 production AND have placed custom orders on their new 3 series.) -- We are literally less than 0.01% of BMWs clientele.

Not to go off on a tangent here, but let's be real.. The rest of the BMW consumers (at least 95% non-enthusiast, I'd say?) are oblivious to these changes and will notice no difference in their safe, luxury German sport sedan. And we know how "interestingly" educated CAs are about new BMW products and news...

If we were a $132 billion dollar corporation, we wouldn't care either.

It makes sense from a business perspective. From a consumer perspective, it blows.

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 02:14 AM   #39
Bomiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: SS E92 M3

If you canceled your f30 335i M Sport Order and live in SoCal, PM me the specs you ordered and what dealership =]
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 02:49 AM   #40
Haarschmerzen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i xdrive

Can someone comment on the changes for the new idrive? Is there new functionality or just cosmetics? My 320i xdrive comes in September... I am on the edge of canceling...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #41
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
<SNIP>

That being said, the strongest point here is that BMW has absolutely zero consideration of the handful of people who are 'affected' by this issue (read: those who are paying attention to the fact that there is a new nav system coming 3mo after 2013 production AND have placed custom orders on their new 3 series.) -- We are literally less than 0.01% of BMWs clientele.

Not to go off on a tangent here, but let's be real.. The rest of the BMW consumers (at least 95% non-enthusiast, I'd say?) are oblivious to these changes and will notice no difference in their safe, luxury German sport sedan. And we know how "interestingly" educated CAs are about new BMW products and news...

If we were a $132 billion dollar corporation, we wouldn't care either.

It makes sense from a business perspective. From a consumer perspective, it blows.
I wouldn't argue with any of that. I do think they have been a wee bit sneaky. They have played down the significance of this update. Other than a few screenies, the dearth of technical details has been conspicuous. If the hardware differences described by another poster on this forum are correct, they represent a big step forward.

"Let's not make too much fuss about this upgrade 'til we have a couple of month's worth of F30 orders."

Well, as I've already said, I'm not putting up with that nonsense.
      07-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #42
martianpc
Private
Rep

The way I see it, I have three options...

Either the dealer
1. works with me to get me the new system installed in my car.. Free or VERY cheap
2. They give me a discount on the purchase price to reflect the old tech
3. I cancel my order and either wait until November or check out that new ATS that is not being stuck with old equipment in it.
      07-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #43
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

As I've said a couple of times on the forum. The F30 won't change MY for us until November, so blame BMW USA for tricking you with their MY-change.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #44
gator15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by martianpc View Post
The way I see it, I have three options...

Either the dealer
1. works with me to get me the new system installed in my car.. Free or VERY cheap
2. They give me a discount on the purchase price to reflect the old tech
3. I cancel my order and either wait until November or check out that new ATS that is not being stuck with old equipment in it.
I highly doubt that they would install the new system for free or at a very low cost. Your option 3 seems the most plausible for you. If this is something that is really important to you, then I would wait for look at the new ATS.

I have a 2012 328i, and frankly, I do not see what the big deal is. I love my iDrive as it is now, I am completely satisfied with it. Would it be awesome and cool to have the new system? Of course, but I learned a long time ago that technology changes so quickly that it is impossible to keep up. When I placed my ED order in January, I went through a few days where I thought about waiting for various reasons, but my spouse convinced me to stick with my order because there is always going to be something newer and greater. I am glad I did, as two weeks before my redelivery, my old car was destroyed by an uninsured driver, so I would have needed a new car anyways.

Just like computers, cell phones, iPads, TVs, etc., new technology will be introduced no matter how new your product is. I think it would be awesome to have live radar on the nav or a wireless chip, but lets be honest, I didn't buy a BMW for the nav system. Japanese car makers have had these upgrades in their cars for years, but there is a reason why I chose BMW over their superior nav technology. For MY2013 buyers, if you can wait it out, then I would. Honestly though, I do not think that it is worth fretting about. You still are going to get a very capable nav system. When you purchase your car, you are getting the most up-to-date technology at that time, for that day, for that month. There will always be something newer and better (like the new iDrive touchpad control unit). You will never be happy with your car if you continually compare it to new models and newer technology.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread