F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 6MT Auto Rev Matching Change? (Resolved)
GetBMWParts

09-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #23
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
the other thing that annoys me is i have a habit of jiggling the shifter to make sure i'm in neutral. if i'm in 3rd gear and coming to a stop, i clutch in and shift the neutral but jiggling the shifter makes it try to rev match...twice. for some reason it tries to rev match before i put it in the 2nd gear gate, and in the process of moving the shifter back and forth it'll rev the first two times it hits the left side.
My 16 Nismo did this... wiggle it and neutral and it would confuse the auto rev match. It made flames come out the rear so i was ok with it
      09-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #24
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
the other thing that annoys me is i have a habit of jiggling the shifter to make sure i'm in neutral. if i'm in 3rd gear and coming to a stop, i clutch in and shift the neutral but jiggling the shifter makes it try to rev match...twice. for some reason it tries to rev match before i put it in the 2nd gear gate, and in the process of moving the shifter back and forth it'll rev the first two times it hits the left side.
I think that's because they don't rev match for first, so you MUST be going into second if you go left from center.
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      09-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #25
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

instead of accepting your ideas as common sense, i'm going to continue flailing and cursing as i coast to stop lights while revving like a ricer
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
eluded3029.00
      09-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #26
tsbrown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

My 2017 340i/6MT is RWD and late October 2016 production. I have experienced the exact same change as you have since my software was "upgraded" about 2 weeks ago. Old behavior it would rev match on any downshift, but now only rev-matches on next-lower-gear downshift.

More frustrating was that my phone would disconnect randomly while trying to play TuneIn Radio App via bluetooth. Worked flawlessly before and it may be working now, but I'm really not sure.

I've been with the same SA at the same dealer for 12+ years and this was the first service visit that didn't get 10's/exceptional (they almost always are). However I made it clear it was not the service experience, it was the software BMW told them to install that the dealer doesn't control. It really sucks.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #27
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Just to throw more data into the mix... for my 2016 340i:

As of now i've only had oil changes from the dealer, no major service that would require some bigger software update. My car rev-matches whenever i want (ie i can go from 4 -> 2 and it will rev-match). It does not try to rev while jiggling the shifter in neutral.

Last edited by jpsimon; 09-28-2017 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #28
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

I have 440ix. Production was 10/10/2016. Mine rev matches on all downshifts, but I have never had software updated and has never been serviced.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #29
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
My car was built in spring 2017 (I think March) and it will auto rev-match 6 to 4, 5 to 3 etc. I'll be a little disappointed if they only rev match the gear below the current one, there's just no point to going 6 > 5 > 4 when you know you want to end up in 4th ...on the bright side, this will give me an excuse to blip the throttle on my own.
Quote:
I've noticed this with mine too. I guess I don't mind, it does sound kind of cool when you're coming to a stop.

Charles
      10-26-2017, 09:35 AM   #30
mkrup87
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi M Sport 6MT

I'll be really upset if this is the case. What's the point of having rev matching if it doesn't do it on skip shifts? That's when you have the largest difference in revs and need it the most. Very stupid decision by BMW, though I'm sure they did it because someone botched a downshift and overreved... Would seem far more logical to just apply a limiter in those cases.

I also concur on revving while wiggling in neutral. It's just one of those habits I learned early when I first started driving standard, so it's a hard-wired reflex to wiggle the shifter when I'm coming to a stop. Sometimes it's fun to hear it, but sometimes it just makes me feel like an asshat, especially if it's late and I'm in a residential neighborhood since I have the MPPSK and like to ride around in Sport whenever I can.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 12:02 PM   #31
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrup87 View Post
I'll be really upset if this is the case. What's the point of having rev matching if it doesn't do it on skip shifts? That's when you have the largest difference in revs and need it the most. Very stupid decision by BMW, though I'm sure they did it because someone botched a downshift and overreved... Would seem far more logical to just apply a limiter in those cases.
Limiter wouldn't help. I guarantee it has a limiter, but once you let the clutch out, the momentum of the car forces the RPM higher than safe, and that's what causes damage. I actually think it refused to rev-match if you tried shifting to a gear that would make the RPMs go above the limiter (ask me how I know.. lol. It made me stop and think, and I didn't let the clutch out, so it probably saved me from some damage).

Quote:
since I have the MPPSK and like to ride around in Sport whenever I can.
There's a simple fix to that...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 02:48 PM   #32
PushingRedline
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi M-Sport

I think I now have this same issue. I took my car in yesterday for oil change (it's a '17 340) and had them look at an issue with my trunk. When I picked it up they said they applied an update to the car. Driving home I noticed the rev matching didn't always work. I believe this is the issue.

I think I am going to call them and schedule another appointment. If they can't fix the issue then they need to roll back the update. I have gotten so use to the rev matching that it is frustrating to drive now. I didn't pay over 50k for a car that had rev matching only to have it break less than a year later.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 06:03 PM   #33
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

I'm going to go out on a limb and say they can't roll back programming, but good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #34
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingRedline View Post
I think I now have this same issue. I took my car in yesterday for oil change (it's a '17 340) and had them look at an issue with my trunk. When I picked it up they said they applied an update to the car. Driving home I noticed the rev matching didn't always work. I believe this is the issue.

I think I am going to call them and schedule another appointment. If they can't fix the issue then they need to roll back the update. I have gotten so use to the rev matching that it is frustrating to drive now. I didn't pay over 50k for a car that had rev matching only to have it break less than a year later.
Yeah, sounds like it.

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say they can't roll back programming, but good luck.
So, based on what my advisor has told me, they can't normally, but it might be an option if they escalate and that's the answer. I'm still waiting for them to get an answer from escalating my case. I tried going through BMW NA customer service too, and they told me to just wait for my dealer to hear back. If they don't hear back in another week or two, I'll try and escalate on the BMW NA side again.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #35
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

I could see it possibly if it was causing an issue, but it just changed the operation. Stuff like that typically doesn't get changed unless they think it's causing an issue or wasting money on BMW's end. Someone had to make that decision to go change how it functions.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 04:55 PM   #36
PushingRedline
Private
Rep

Quote:
I could see it possibly if it was causing an issue, but it just changed the operation. Stuff like that typically doesn't get changed unless they think it's causing an issue or wasting money on BMW's end. Someone had to make that decision to go change how it functions.
I get that. My argument will be is it doesn't operate like it did from the factory and what my test drive was like. Also, my buddy had a '16 m3 that would work exactly how mine use to work before the update.

On a side note there is another issue I am having now. Every time I start the car now it wants to confirm the profile I am using. This never use to happen. Maybe part of a different update they did or same one?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #37
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I get that. My argument will be is it doesn't operate like it did from the factory and what my test drive was like. Also, my buddy had a '16 m3 that would work exactly how mine use to work before the update.

On a side note there is another issue I am having now. Every time I start the car now it wants to confirm the profile I am using. This never use to happen. Maybe part of a different update they did or same one?
That's just a setting, you can turn that off in i-drive. I forget where though. Probably in the driver profiles menu/options. When they did my software update, ALL my personalized settings were lost, other than seat positions, so it was a frustrating day in general, having to re-program all my favorites/etc(I never remembered to do a USB back up after setting it all up, but I have now), and not yet having figured out the new 'rules' of rev matching at first. I don't fuck it up and expect it to rev match a 2/3-gear downshift anymore, but I still hesitate a moment before it registers and I get annoyed having to do it. What's funny is if I drive another car, I don't have the 'muscle memory' of it rev matching for me, so I automatically try to rev match there.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #38
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
That's just a setting, you can turn that off in i-drive. I forget where though. Probably in the driver profiles menu/options. When they did my software update, ALL my personalized settings were lost, other than seat positions, so it was a frustrating day in general, having to re-program all my favorites/etc(I never remembered to do a USB back up after setting it all up, but I have now), and not yet having figured out the new 'rules' of rev matching at first. I don't fuck it up and expect it to rev match a 2/3-gear downshift anymore, but I still hesitate a moment before it registers and I get annoyed having to do it. What's funny is if I drive another car, I don't have the 'muscle memory' of it rev matching for me, so I automatically try to rev match there.
Great idea!
      10-31-2017, 09:23 AM   #39
PushingRedline
Private
Rep

So just an update...I have an appointment scheduled for Wed next week to have them look at this change in Rev Matching. The other thing I have noticed now that I have had the car back for a while is that I no longer can access Traffic Info (this has worked perfectly fine before I dropped it off). It isn't even sporadic...just has not worked once since having my car back. I will bring that up to them when the car is dropped off as well. I will post an update if i have one late next week.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #40
PushingRedline
Private
Rep

Quote:
So just an update...I have an appointment scheduled for Wed next week to have them look at this change in Rev Matching. The other thing I have noticed now that I have had the car back for a while is that I no longer can access Traffic Info (this has worked perfectly fine before I dropped it off). It isn't even sporadic...just has not worked once since having my car back. I will bring that up to them when the car is dropped off as well. I will post an update if i have one late next week.
Here is my update...dropped car off yesterday. They confirmed that it won't rev match when skipping gears as well from neutral (which it use to do both). They sent a request into BMW headquarters and had to keep car overnight. Today they called me and stated BMW headquarters explained that it is currently working as designed. They can't do anything.

Additionally, they did not fix my traffic info not working issue. They blamed the fact i have a USB stick plugged into the USB port for it not working. They will however have a genius sit with me when i pick it up so we will see if he can figure it out. This whole situation has really pissed me off and makes me not want to deal with BMW anymore. I will try to escalate the Rev Matching issue to BMW if only to exhaust any options i may have even though I know i have little shot to change anything.
Appreciate 2
kern4174446.50
2turboBMW115.50
      11-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #41
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

My dealer has had no replies to the PUMA case in about a month, so I'm trying to go through social media channels to get a reply.. I may get the same answer though.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #42
PushingRedline
Private
Rep

Quote:
My dealer has had no replies to the PUMA case in about a month, so I'm trying to go through social media channels to get a reply.. I may get the same answer though.
I really want to press BMW on why they would change this. Let me know if you want me to pile on the comments...long shot but maybe if we get enough people asking we can get an answer.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #43
2turboBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
I really want to press BMW on why they would change this. Let me know if you want me to pile on the comments...long shot but maybe if we get enough people asking we can get an answer.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm with you on this. I shouldn't have to bring my car in for service and worry about this change.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 07:27 AM   #44
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

I have a '17 M240i however I can confirm I have the same issue. Before service I could dowshift and skip gears with it rev matching but instantly after getting an update I noticed I no longer can. It's annoying either having to go down each gear until I get where I want or having to manually rev match since I never had to do it since I've owned this car. If you figure out a way to get BMW to downgrade I would be all in!
Appreciate 0