F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Boosting 328xi engine
ARMA SPEED

03-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
sfiermon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535xi

Boosting 328xi engine

Total NOOB here. What is involved? See threads on BMS? I live in NH. Can I bring the car locally somewhere you'd recommend?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Turboedv6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Apline White Sportline 328

What are you trying to do?
      03-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
sfiermon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535xi

Increase HP and tourque. Totally confused on how this is done. Is this a good idea?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

There is a lot of information on the various threads and it would be in your best interest to spend a lot of time reading. If you have specific questions feel free to ask those. It can be a steep learning curve so don't hesitate to get seek help.

But your first step is to read the existing knowledge base.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
RJH
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
There is a lot of information on the various threads and it would be in your best interest to spend a lot of time reading. If you have specific questions feel free to ask those. It can be a steep learning curve so don't hesitate to get seek help.

But your first step is to read the existing knowledge base.
Summary:
There seems to be 2 options out right: now one called Scorcher and the other BMS Stage 1; with Stage 2 expected soon. They look promising, but some like yours truly, are still sitting on fence (w/cash in hand). Masking from dealer seem manageable, and only a concern if you blow up your motor. But may require the purchase of an e-tool that wipes the codes. Total investment is about $500-600ish and install looks you'll have to get your hands dirty, but a solid DIY and no tools. (also some good instructions on the forum)
I'm waiting for more independent feedback from early adopters, but let us know if you take the leap. I'd do the leaping myself, as the price, even if it delivers minor gains, is low, and it's 100% reversible; but I'm too busy.
Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH View Post
Summary:
There seems to be 2 options out right: now one called Scorcher and the other BMS Stage 1; with Stage 2 expected soon. They look promising, but some like yours truly, are still sitting on fence (w/cash in hand). Masking from dealer seem manageable, and only a concern if you blow up your motor. But may require the purchase of an e-tool that wipes the codes. Total investment is about $500-600ish and install looks you'll have to get your hands dirty, but a solid DIY and no tools. (also some good instructions on the forum)
I'm waiting for more independent feedback from early adopters, but let us know if you take the leap. I'd do the leaping myself, as the price, even if it delivers minor gains, is low, and it's 100% reversible; but I'm too busy.
Hope this helps...
5 minute install, no dirty hands.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Turboedv6
Private First Class
Rep

The AFE scorcher takes 60 seconds to install.
      03-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Turboedv6
Private First Class
Rep

Use a lot of nitrous if you want to go fast!
      03-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
1GrayBulldog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
Quote:
Summary:
Hope this helps...
5 minute install, no dirty hands.
+1

install is no issue even for the car illiterate
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
only a concern if you blow up your motor.
You can do that without any modifications if you drive the car in a manner it was not intended for. Not a valid argument. Besides, have you read of even a single N20/26 engine being blown up as a direct result of the Stage 1 (or aFe) units being installed?

Quote:
I'm waiting for more independent feedback from early adopters,
Plenty of those around, you just need to look. What do you want to know? Yes, it gives my 328i a very nice power and torque boost, from low down all the way to the top of the power band. Does the unit turn the 328i into a super car - no, not at all. It will ad does drop 0-60mph/0-100kmh times by around 0.5 seconds - possibly more. Well documented.

Quote:
but I'm too busy
Not a credible excuse, sorry. If you posted, I'm not ready, sure I can understand, but too busy, no on. No disrespect intended by the way.
Cheers
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.

Last edited by David328M-Sport; 03-30-2013 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
Turboedv6
Private First Class
Rep

We had our first blown N20 come in with only 25k miles, the customer didn't think changing the oil was needed haha
      03-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
1GrayBulldog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport
Quote:
only a concern if you blow up your motor.
You can do that without any modifications if you drive the car in a manner it was not intended for. Not a valid argument. Besides, have you read of even a single N20/26 engine being blown up as a direct result of the Stage 1 (or aFe) units being installed?

Quote:
I'm waiting for more independent feedback from early adopters,
Plenty of those around, you just need to look. What do you want to know? Yes, it gives my 328i a very nice power and torque boost, from low down all the way to the top of the power band. Does the unit turn the 328i into a super car - no, not at all. It will ad does drop 0-60mph/0-100kmh times by around 0.5 seconds - possibly more. Well documented.

Quote:
but I'm too busy
Not a credible excuse, sorry. If you posted, I'm not ready, sure I can understand, but too busy, no on. No disrespect intended by the way.
Cheers
Great post, totally agree.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
RJH
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post

Cheers
While travelling for work, I've actual have been closely following posts on topic, here and other forums, and I'd argue the results are anything but independent and well documented. The feedback has mostly been from developers & resellers and a couple of early adopters, but there have also been users who've indicated their disappointment and others reporting disappointing dyno results. So from my vantage point, the jury is still out.I'm not being negative; just cautious. Is that ok with you?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #14
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
but there have also been users who've indicated their disappointment and others reporting disappointing dyno results.
Users or single user indicated disappointment? Are you aware of the full story behind their 'disappointment'?

Dyno results? What about on the road results? Here is one from a user. Me.
Absolutely fantastic boost in power & torque from the BMS Stage 1 tune. From low down, though out the entire power band.

Makes for a much more responsive & quicker 328i than stock. This unit works, no question.

Now back to you RJH. Putting all this into perspective, i had the BMS PowerBox installed in my 2.5 litre E90 325i 6AT in December '09. Worked as advertised straight away, boosting power & torque. Improved performance after a few drives. Yes, the NA engine's improvement according to the figures did not seem terribly much, but the on road performance was quite impressive, especially in DS mode.

So I'm not an early adopter to BMS and the JB for the N54/55 engines has been out for years without issue. Anyone disappointed there?
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0