F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M Sport: How are you mounting your front plates?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #45
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
DMV. Smart. Haha!

Seriously though, I might sign up for one of those black/yellow letter plates. We'll see if enough people sign on for it to happen. However, since the plates will most likely be reflective, I doubt the core audience for the retro plates will be onboard.
I just emailed Gov. Brown about Euro plates for CA. Hey ya never know...
      01-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #46
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwuser View Post
I ordered from skene design, should be coming soon (hopefully before i get my new bumper)

http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/Euro.shtml

you drill holes in parts not directly visible.

looks better than the tow hook ones (if youre keeping them on long term).
I would like to use/buy this type. But I'm not sure if a normal US plate will attach? I don't mind drilling into the bottom of the bumper, where holes would be out of sight if removed.

This Bell holder would do the trick, but it seems flimsy and the threat of immediate rust turns me off: http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Automotiv...9235999&sr=8-4

EDIT: ah this might be the ticket! http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/Choose.shtml

Need to figure out which one is best for M-sport....
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #47
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

For the velcro question, I have my euro plate on with velcro right now. I don't see how the glue can be any stronger than the stuff they use for the badges, and you can get badges off carefully without damage to the paint. I'm going to AZ next, so I plan on just taking it all off, but if I go somewhere next that requires plates, I may get the retractable option.

If you have parking sensors on the front with Msport bumper, then there is currently no tow hook option that won't interfere with the sensors. Hell, I even had to bend my euro plate a bit and put extra velcro on to avoid the sensors...

Oh, and the velcro has been holding well, even in snow on the autobahn, and even through an unfortunate, but necessary trip through an automatic car wash.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #48
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

I just got mine mounted using the licence plate holder that came with the car. This is kind of immunization, you don't want the shot but its something that has to be done. The first 3 hours I could not stand the look, urgh. After a few beers she looks just fine

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #49
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
I just got mine mounted using the licence plate holder that came with the car. This is kind of immunization, you don't want the shot but its something that has to be done. The first 3 hours I could not stand the look, urgh. After a few beers she looks just fine
The problem is, anything (anyone) will look good after a few beers.

I think no one has a real solution yet for M sport package with US plates. And I don't want to get fix-it tickets for that! Another reason why I haven't gotten my windows tinted yet....
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #50
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger
Quote:

I think no one has a real solution yet for M sport package with US plates. And I don't want to get fix-it tickets for that! Another reason why I haven't gotten my windows tinted yet....

The law sucks at times

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #51
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

I wonder how long I could keep dealer plates on my car without actually putting on the front license plate. It's been 2 months now and none of the cops care. Maybe a couple years?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #52
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I wonder how long I could keep dealer plates on my car without actually putting on the front license plate. It's been 2 months now and none of the cops care. Maybe a couple years?
After a couple if days you will get used to it. The first day I promise you, you will need those beers

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #53
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Have you had problems with tint in the past? I had my TSX tinted for three years without issues (knock on wood). I have an appointment set up for a week after I get my 335.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #54
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
Have you had problems with tint in the past? I had my TSX tinted for three years without issues (knock on wood). I have an appointment set up for a week after I get my 335.
Never had a problem with the tint on my accord, but it was 50%. I had 35% on my Scion tc and Irvine cops loved pulling me over every chance they had JUST for the tint. I'd say 50% is the minimum to guarantee not to get pulled over.

25% will definitely get you pulled over. 35% I think you'll still get pulled over but less of a chance if you get it on the back windows and 50% on the front. I know it's ugly, but it's a compromise in getting pulled over.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #55
gtabfknkdnme
5 Star General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82, F30

frontplatelolwat
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #56
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellerKiller View Post
For the velcro question, I have my euro plate on with velcro right now. I don't see how the glue can be any stronger than the stuff they use for the badges, and you can get badges off carefully without damage to the paint. I'm going to AZ next, so I plan on just taking it all off, but if I go somewhere next that requires plates, I may get the retractable option.

If you have parking sensors on the front with Msport bumper, then there is currently no tow hook option that won't interfere with the sensors. Hell, I even had to bend my euro plate a bit and put extra velcro on to avoid the sensors...

Oh, and the velcro has been holding well, even in snow on the autobahn, and even through an unfortunate, but necessary trip through an automatic car wash.
Mine has been on with velcro for almost 2 months in some of the coldest weather we've ever experienced. It's also been through the car wash at least 20 times with zero issues. Not even a hint of lifting or separation. A buddy of mine has been using velcro for years on his various cars with no issues. You just can't go wrong. It's quick, cheap and reliable.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #57
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic
Mine has been on with velcro for almost 2 months in some of the coldest weather we've ever experienced. It's also been through the car wash at least 20 times with zero issues. Not even a hint of lifting or separation. A buddy of mine has been using velcro for years on his various cars with no issues. You just can't go wrong. It's quick, cheap and reliable.
Do you take it on and off a lot? If not, what is the purpose of Velcro instead of just mounting the plate normally?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #58
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Do you take it on and off a lot? If not, what is the purpose of Velcro instead of just mounting the plate normally?
Yes, I'm curious as well.
      01-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #59
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
I have different plates that I swap out as the mood strikes me (Euro plates).

I thought the whole point of this thread was folks that don't want to poke holes in their bumper. The velcro is a non-destructive solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #60
RN_2021
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
Never had a problem with the tint on my accord, but it was 50%. I had 35% on my Scion tc and Irvine cops loved pulling me over every chance they had JUST for the tint. I'd say 50% is the minimum to guarantee not to get pulled over.

25% will definitely get you pulled over. 35% I think you'll still get pulled over but less of a chance if you get it on the back windows and 50% on the front. I know it's ugly, but it's a compromise in getting pulled over.
Totally agree with you on Irvine cops. It's like they have nothing better to do. Got pulled over 3 times in my EvoVIII because it was tinted 25% all around, luckily no tickets though. Not sure how dark I should go with my 335i though.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #61
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic
I have different plates that I swap out as the mood strikes me (Euro plates).

I thought the whole point of this thread was folks that don't want to poke holes in their bumper. The velcro is a non-destructive solution.
Gotcha.

It was, I was just curious about some of the solutions and so many people saying Velcro, was wondering if it was just to avoid drilling or because people actually take them off periodically as well, which I was assuming was the point of the Velcro..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #62
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Quote:
I'll be moving back to AZ this year, where front plates aren't mandatory. Now I don't have to get a lame vanity plate to cover up holes.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #63
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

I have found a very agreeable solution to mounting my front plate on my M-sport. Of course I resisted, but prefer not to deal with the anxiety/potential ticket every time I spot a cop.

I ordered the Medium bracket solution from Skene Design @ $50. The kit comes with everything you need, and is very adjustable. Of course you are putting holes in the under side of the bumper lip, but they would be unnoticeable if I need to remove the bracket, or if Texas every really does dump the front plate law

The black license plate frame is the OEM BMW black slim line version. You can get them from Amazon or your dealer for about $30.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #64
Ron335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

What options do we have for a M Sport with PDC? Picking my car up in a week and need some ideas
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #65
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron335 View Post
What options do we have for a M Sport with PDC? Picking my car up in a week and need some ideas
My post right above yours?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #66
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron335 View Post
My post right above yours?
That is the Only options for cars with PDC. Can't use the tow hitch.
Appreciate 0