F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Home security cameras / alarms
proTUNING Freaks

03-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
Coloradom3
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, 21 X5M

Home security cameras / alarms

Hello fellow BP members!

So I'm in the market for some home security advice. I'm definitely looking for some cameras. Preferably something that's viewable on my phone when I'm not home and a home alarm. Do you guys / gals have any recommendations on a company ? Or something I can pick up and install myself. Things are getting crazy out there in the world these days. And I know if someone wants to get into my home they will if they really want to. I'm home often but for the times I'm not, I'd like a set up to help detour such behavior.

Cheers and God bless.

Last edited by Coloradom3; 03-02-2016 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
STOOF
Sunburned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F83 M4 Convertible 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agedog2gt View Post
Hello fellow AZ members!
This aint Audizine

Subscribed, been looking into home security cameras.
Appreciate 2
      03-02-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

We had a whole discussion about security cameras here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1132696

As far as security systems, I had ADT install systems in both of my homes. I was specific I wanted a semi-commercial grade unit which does not have the brains of the alarm integrated into the keypad despite the sell job they were trying to do. The system I have in my primary home is a Ademco/Honeywell Vista 15P panel. It's pretty old but because it's modular has been able to keep up with updates in technology. I have the panel installed in a totally different part of my home from the keypad with a cellular backup. The cellular backup and the main panel are on their own battery backups which will keep the system up and running for 24 hours.

The panel I had installed at my vacation home is a similar unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 09:41 PM   #4
Coloradom3
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOOF View Post
This aint Audizine

Subscribed, been looking into home security cameras.
Haha FML, huge fail. Thx for the notice sir hahaha

Damn I feel like a dousch
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #5
Coloradom3
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
We had a whole discussion about security cameras here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1132696

As far as security systems, I had ADT install systems in both of my homes. I was specific I wanted a semi-commercial grade unit which does not have the brains of the alarm integrated into the keypad despite the sell job they were trying to do. The system I have in my primary home is a Ademco/Honeywell Vista 15P panel. It's pretty old but because it's modular has been able to keep up with updates in technology. I have the panel installed in a totally different part of my home from the keypad with a cellular backup. The cellular backup and the main panel are on their own battery backups which will keep the system up and running for 24 hours.

The panel I had installed at my vacation home is a similar unit.
Thx for the link and info man, appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:40 AM   #6
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

You can get a decent package on Amazon w/ DVR, cables & 3-8 cameras for like $650 up. Cameras these days are power over ethernet so you run one cable between DVR and camera for power and video. I recommend fixed focus / fov cameras with 2-3MP minimum otherwise you won't be able to read much. You don't need a fancy enclosure, just make sure the cameras are rated for outdoors which most are. Set DVR to record on motion. Just search "security camera DVR". Make sure it has good reviews and it's Amazon so you can return if you don't like it. Most of the brands are similar and will let you look at your feeds on android / iphone and in a web browser. You can buy the hard drive separately and install it yourself with 0 technical experience so don't pay more than you need to for storage.

Make sure your cameras are conspicuous and things are well lit if you intend to actually deter someone breaking in and not try to figure out who they were afterward, which rarely goes anywhere. Use cable w/ solid copper wires for your cameras if you need to do runs longer than the included 50ft cables. Otherwise power over ethernet can have issues since lots of cables use thin gage aluminum wire which is inferior.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 01:36 AM   #7
Coloradom3
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Wow! Lots of info I'll be sure to research! Thx a ton for taking the time to inform those of us who are interested!

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
You can get a decent package on Amazon w/ DVR, cables & 3-8 cameras for like $650 up. Cameras these days are power over ethernet so you run one cable between DVR and camera for power and video. I recommend fixed focus / fov cameras with 2-3MP minimum otherwise you won't be able to read much. You don't need a fancy enclosure, just make sure the cameras are rated for outdoors which most are. Set DVR to record on motion. Just search "security camera DVR". Make sure it has good reviews and it's Amazon so you can return if you don't like it. Most of the brands are similar and will let you look at your feeds on android / iphone and in a web browser. You can buy the hard drive separately and install it yourself with 0 technical experience so don't pay more than you need to for storage.

Make sure your cameras are conspicuous and things are well lit if you intend to actually deter someone breaking in and not try to figure out who they were afterward, which rarely goes anywhere. Use cable w/ solid copper wires for your cameras if you need to do runs longer than the included 50ft cables. Otherwise power over ethernet can have issues since lots of cables use thin gage aluminum wire which is inferior.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 06:23 AM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

You have to be really careful about many security/IP camera systems out there. Some may look like they have good specs but are just plain junk. This is even more true when you're talking about night vision performance. It took me a long time before I settled on the system I have now, Hikvision. And I couldn't be happier with it. Great picture quality. Loads of features. Excellent night vision performance. The exterior cameras I use have an honest 30 meter night vision range. A mobile app and a web browser plug in for your PC. The exterior cameras are IP66 rated for environmental exposure. I can vouch for this as the cameras have been through temperature extremes from 20F all the way up to 100F; plus rain and snow. Interior cameras have two way audio capability. I'm looking to add an exterior camera with two way audio capability also. Overall just a good system.

If you want to see for yourself how good this system is along with other serious high performing systems from other manufacturers, go here: http://www.networkcameracritic.com/

I posted a link to that site in that thread I put up above. That site has the most thorough independent reviews I've seen anywhere on IP camera systems. It's what swayed me to buy the cameras I have now. Unfortunately, the reviewer passed away suddenly.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 06:56 AM   #9
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agedog2gt View Post
Hello fellow BP members!

Things are getting crazy out there in the world these days. And I know if someone wants to get into my home they will if they really want to. I'm home often but for the times I'm not, I'd like a set up to help detour such behavior.

Cheers and God bless.

So the camera will detour someone from breaking in and prevent them from doing hideous things to your family.

Cameras are great but if you're home and can pull a draw then your in business.

Bang Bang- catch my drift.......
      03-03-2016, 07:08 AM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
So the camera will detour someone from breaking in and prevent them from doing hideous things to your family.

Cameras are great but if you're home and can pull a draw then your in business.

Bang Bang- catch my drift.......
It's not meant to be a 100% deterrent. Although it helps. I remember some solicitor at my front door. He noticed the camera in the upper corner of my house and got a bit uneasy. He kept staring up at it. It's the same when you put out a sign saying you have a home security system.

What I use my camera system for is to keep tabs on my house when I'm away. I have a camera inside of my garage which I use some times to see if I forgot to close the garage door. See if I got a package delivered to my front door and all the stuff that goes with that. If something were to happen, as a source of evidence for authorities.

BTW, I also have the bang bang black metal things in case I have to welcome unexpected guests.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #11
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
It's not meant to be a 100% deterrent. Although it

BTW, I also have the bang bang black metal things in case I have to welcome unexpected guests.

Good to see you have all your CAMERA angles covered!!
      03-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #12
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Aah, my passion! I just installed a few of these puppies at my house, in addition to the ones I already had. Quite pleased so far!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #13
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm a big fan of AXIS. great cameras even better software

not cheap though but you get what you pay for.
      03-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #14
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Subbed.
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #15
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I just want to figure out which freaking neighbor keeps parking all the POS cars on the street and leaving them, so I might go get a trail camera.

I've had several people come up to me and ask just where my cameras are, because rumor has it I do somewhere. "Wouldn't be prudent, at this juncture, to tell you where they are"

Oh, and pew-pew as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #16
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
I'm a big fan of AXIS. great cameras even better software

not cheap though but you get what you pay for.
Axis is amazing, but it's indeed extremely expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #17
E92 M Sport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82

http://www.networkcameracritic.com

I learned a lot by reading this site. The site owner died, but the reviews are still good to learn from. I have a Dahua camera/nvr system. I use adt for the house alarm. I agree with others that lighting is a great deterrent. LEDs are efficient, I leave them on dusk to dawn.

Don't forget to get a lockbox for the nvr, or hide it really well.
      03-03-2016, 02:48 PM   #18
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I have several DropCams (now a part of Nest). It doesn't get much easier to install/use than those.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #19
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

We use these for the outdoor cameras at our hotels as well as at my house.

http://www.specotech.com/index.php/p...ip/1041-o2ib3m

Had my guys hardwire 8 of them throughout my house, to a internet connected DVR and controller. Work great at the hotel. A little over kill for residential purposes, but if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

A few of my cousins in India use a all in one box setup. For their needs, watching the main gate and the tractor, they do the job.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #20
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I have several DropCams (now a part of Nest). It doesn't get much easier to install/use than those.
Sure, but having to pay every month for cloud storage must be annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #21
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Sure, but having to pay every month for cloud storage must be annoying.
I pay ADT like $42/mo anyway so another $10 for cloud storage is nothing. I still think it's much cheaper than a fully installed system with hard drives storing the footage. A coworker of mine just paid $6k for his system and it does less than my dropcam.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #22
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I have a couple of foscams connected to my qnap with surveillance station. I've been wanting to add some more cameras and upgrade the ones I have, but havent gotten around to it.
Appreciate 0