F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tow Bar
ARMA SPEED

01-30-2013, 01:49 AM   #1
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport

Tow Bar

I'm going to be specifying a towbar when I order my F31 330d M Sport Xdrive next month. When I asked my dealer about it he said that they cut a hole in the rear bumper/apron and fitted an access panel in it. Then when you wanted to tow something you had to rummage about in the boot, remove the towbar hook, remove the access panel, plug in the towbar hook and tighten. Then you are good to go.

Is this so?

Last edited by Captain Cow Pat; 01-30-2013 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: corrected spelling mistake
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

hmmm that doesn't sound right. I've not got the tow bar fitted to my F31 but had it on my E91 M Sport and it was hidden behind the rear diffuser. To release it there was a button hidden in the left side of the boot. To put it back you just pressed the button again and then manually push it back.

There was nothing to cut as long as it factory installed. On the F31 I can see the button fitting is in the same location.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
hmmm that doesn't sound right. I've not got the tow bar fitted to my F31 but had it on my E91 M Sport and it was hidden behind the rear diffuser. To release it there was a button hidden in the left side of the boot. To put it back you just pressed the button again and then manually push it back.

There was nothing to cut as long as it factory installed. On the F31 I can see the button fitting is in the same location.
Do they cut the diffuser or does it come out underneath? Can you see anything when the tow bar is hidden away. i.e. is there an actually panel?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorroone View Post
Do they cut the diffuser or does it come out underneath? Can you see anything when the tow bar is hidden away. i.e. is there an actually panel?
The tow bar is hidden away behind the diffuser. If you looked at the car from the rear you can't see it at all (unless it's been deployed) and the diffuser is intact. If they did have to cut the diffuser it would murder the rear end! Having said that a rear diffuser is cheap as chips. I brought one when I got the twin M Performance Chrome pipes fitted to replace the single pipe, it cost me about £65 quid.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
The tow bar is hidden away behind the diffuser. If you looked at the car from the rear you can't see it at all (unless it's been deployed) and the diffuser is intact. If they did have to cut the diffuser it would murder the rear end! Having said that a rear diffuser is cheap as chips. I brought one when I got the twin M Performance Chrome pipes fitted to replace the single pipe, it cost me about £65 quid.
I might opt for that, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Floriank
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport Tanzanite

I have the factory fitted tow bar on my F31 - it's completely hidden from view when retracted. There's a button inside the left-hand side boot cubby hole and if pressed, the tow bar extends electrically from underneath the rear and locks itself into place - very elegant solution.

This is an improvement on my E91 where the tow bar was 'dropped down' half way electrically and then had to be locked into place by hand - at least the car came with a special glove one could wear to do this as the tow bar would always be very dirty. On the F31 the extension and retraction is fully electric all the way - much better.
      01-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floriank View Post
I have the factory fitted tow bar on my F31 - it's completely hidden from view when retracted. There's a button inside the left-hand side boot cubby hole and if pressed, the tow bar extends electrically from underneath the rear and locks itself into place - very elegant solution.

This is an improvement on my E91 where the tow bar was 'dropped down' half way electrically and then had to be locked into place by hand - at least the car came with a special glove one could wear to do this as the tow bar would always be very dirty. On the F31 the extension and retraction is fully electric all the way - much better.
Thanks sounds a good neat job. Liking it.
Appreciate 0