F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Options
ARMA SPEED

01-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport

Options

So, as I've yet to place my order, what option do you now think are a waste of money and what option do you think are well worth the money?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

I got my first quote today with all the options. I think about the only options I left out were TV, sunblinds and surround view.

Dealer is NOT being very forth coming on discount. Says new model and limited number etc. Smells of BS
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Vis pack - absolute must
Pro nav - very nice - lovely black panel display in for instrument cluster included in this
Comfort access woulda been nice in hindsight.

You could argue BMW connected drive, apps pack thing is all a bit of a take it or leave it option..
      01-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Agree with Sladechester. Visibility Pack and Pro Media. I don't even use the nav too much but it's just such a great toy! I'd also spec the Connected/internet/USB add ons for what they cost. You never know what phone or media playback you might want in the future.

Comfort Access I wouldn't bother with. I had it on my E91 and the whole keyless thing is nice but you've got 50% of it with the F3x anyway. And locking the car by touching the door handle is just as inconvenient as using a key. I'd go with the standard set up and blip the remote to lock.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 03:12 AM   #5
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Musts for me would be:
- Sport Auto
- Visibility Pack
- Pro Nav
- HK audio

Waste of money for me I'd say:
- Park Assist
- Lane change/departure
- Surround view
- Heated rear seats
- Blinds
- TV function

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 04:14 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

How do you define a waste of money on an option? For me surround and reversing cameras are superb options, use them all the time. Same for HUD, speed limit identification, comfort access and sport auto. None are necessary, but make the car.

Whether worth the money as we go through the tick boxes, that is a different issue, IMO. Only each user can put the value on what he feels is an essential option. Personally I wouldn't option a lot of the luxuries in a new car, as I don't see them as value for money, but in a used car many are a 'must have' on the options list.

An example, a panoramic roof is a must have in the touring, particularly in the M-sport with the 'coffin' blackness. I could just not live with the dark interior, so would be a deal breaker without the pano' roof.

For me, essentials in an m-sport touring would be; visability package, sport auto, adaptive suspension, panoramic roof, speaker upgrade.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

As Pete says its each to there own. What suits one dont suit another.

When I bought my E90 new I didnt spec any kind of Nav/Media system. Not interested. Saved the £2K and put it towards other options that I wanted. The odd time I go anywhere I'm happy to use a Tomtom and for music I use a USB stick.

On the whole, for the F3X has a great sport auto 'box and visibility pack is great for the headlamp assist alone, let alone xenons etc...

From there on, its up to you want you think is important.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep

You make a good point. I guess what I mean is have any options not lived up to your expectations and why?

How do you find the reverse camera with the surround view? Do you use a tow bar? Does it look straight down at the hitch and thus make lining up easier?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
When I bought my E90 new I didnt spec any kind of Nav/Media system. Not interested. Saved the £2K and put it towards other options that I wanted. The odd time I go anywhere I'm happy to use a Tomtom and for music I use a USB stick.
We also did without the satnav as the car is only use on school runs, going to the supermarkets and the occasionally weekends away (so we are happy to use a TT1000). So apart from it looks pretty cool it wasn't worth the 2K, might be different if I was on lease or something and the monthly cost was a few quid here or there but as a outright buyer things quickly get out of hand. We also went manual, that was a personal choice.

Other items we did go for were: HK Upgrade (seriously way better than the standard system), Sun Protection Glass, Vis Pack, Folding Wing Mirrors, Enhanced BT, Adaptive M Suspension, Black Panel Display to name a few.

Items I consider not worth it are:

Apps, Internet, TV Function (seriously when would you use this?), Surround Cameras, Lane Change .... I could go on. If the auto tailgate was an option I wouldn't of paid for it!

For a lot of those TV Functions etc etc, if you go on the coding section you can enable those via coding (of course you need to have certain hardware)....someone was asked how to enable DAB radio via coding!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
....someone was asked how to enable DAB radio via coding!
Suspect it's not possible (wish it was), otherwise BMW would charge £299 for a re-code rather than £299 for a box of tricks, some wiring and a new aerial

One option I've been impressed with is the heated steering wheel, but probably cos I suffer from cold hands this time of year.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Suspect it's not possible (wish it was), otherwise BMW would charge £299 for a re-code rather than £299 for a box of tricks, some wiring and a new aerial
It's a hardware change so it's not possible. But people have enabled Internet, TV Function etc etc all via coding. Or for those without Apps you can enabled BMW Live.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep

With the heated steering wheel is it just on? or are there different heat settings? Does it have a thermostat or does it just keep getting hotter? Is it all of the rim of the wheel that is heated or just bits? Does it stay on for a specific amount of time and then turn its self off or does it wait for you to turn it off?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

The one option I wish I had not purchased (it's free now) was DAB. It sounds rubbish. Compressed with no dynamic range. FM is vastly superior.

Heated steering wheel is something I wish I had optioned. Instead, I just wear my very warm, soft and expensive fur lined leather gloves which I have had for the last 35 years.

The heated wheel is a great idea but then there have been some problems with it as mentioned in the General Section:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780546
      01-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Cow Pat View Post
With the heated steering wheel is it just on? or are there different heat settings? Does it have a thermostat or does it just keep getting hotter? Is it all of the rim of the wheel that is heated or just bits? Does it stay on for a specific amount of time and then turn its self off or does it wait for you to turn it off?
Single on/off switch, no variable heat setting. You can feel it starting to warm up after about 15-20s on a frosty day. Takes about 4-5 mins to reach a steady temperature. It's very warm by where the paddles are, slightly cooler elsewhere. On switching off it cools quite quickly.

Cost-wise for keeping your hands warm it's more expensive than gloves, but cheaper than a wife or g/f (and that's probably illegal while driving!)

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Andys83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i xdrive

Must haves
Pro nav
Auto box (first auto wow what have I been missing!!)
19" wheels just because!
Xdrive
Heated front seats
Visibility pack
Sevtronic steering and paddles

There are plenty more, personally wish I'd went for HK,HUD and visibility pack as all I've heard are good things about them!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

The only option I regret not ordering is the reversing camera. That would have been really handy.

Visibility pack is probably my favourite!

I have an M Sport touring and don't find the interior too dark at all without the sunroof. Sure it would have been nice but it's expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

The pano roof is one option I wish I had got, it's costly but worth every penny IMO. My last 2 cars have had them, and I miss the light they let in.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #18
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

My 2 cents

Great options:

Viz pack
Pro Nav
19" M403
Folding rear headrests (better rear viz)
Boot net
Rear Camera
Adaptive cruise
Speed limit display
DAB

Not so useful:

Adaptive suspension
Heated seats
Folding mirrors
BMW Apps (buggier than the Amazon rainforest)

Last edited by NISFAN; 01-25-2013 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add the essential DAB, brilliant is you drive more than locally :)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #19
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
My 2 cents

Great options:

Viz pack
Pro Nav
19" M403
Folding rear headrests (better rear viz)
Boot net
Rear Camera
Adaptive cruise
Speed limit display
DAB

Not so useful:

Adaptive suspension
Heated seats
Folding mirrors
BMW Apps (buggier than the Amazon rainforest)
Wow I thought the Adaptive would be must what do you not like about it as we have very poor roads in NE Scotland is it still to hard? Thanks Derek
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #20
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
Wow I thought the Adaptive would be must what do you not like about it as we have very poor roads in NE Scotland is it still to hard? Thanks Derek
No, not too hard, just not that much of a difference between the two settings. I prefer sport setting in almost all situations, so could have just skipped the adaptive option.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #21
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
No, not too hard, just not that much of a difference between the two settings. I prefer sport setting in almost all situations, so could have just skipped the adaptive option.
I've not driven the 3-series with adaptive suspension, but thought others have said the difference is quite marked.

I suppose one thing is the limitation of having just 2 base settings, can't be too far apart, or there would be complaints of it being "too different".

Driving the 5-series with 3 base settings, I'd imagine gives a wider spread. I know if I only had the comfort and sport modes, I'd be saying they are too different. Typically I use normal mode, as the sport mode is too firm and ride quality deteriorates on our poor surfaces. Sport and comfort are great on better road quality, then I can pick the firmer ride, or magic carpet.

BTW, for the 5-series I rate Adaptive Drive as the best option available.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #22
f1swk
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 330d

I have one of the fully loaded m sport 330d tourings, if I was to spec another
I would leave off these

rear camera/park assist-drive 100yds and the camera is covered in crap rendering it useless
pro sat nav-badly needs software update, lots missing,£100 tom tom is better
19inch wheels, prone to pothole damage, harsher ride, lets face it im not using it for racing so an on going cost for zero benefit

must haves are
330d,what an engine, sport auto, adaptive suspension, vis pack, interior comfort pack, memory seats if you share the car with the missus.
that's the main bits I would go for, add other small bits to your choice
Appreciate 0