F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > DSC safety interrupts on hwwy after i changed to winter tires
GetBMWParts

11-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
i'm setup factory spec: 32 F / 38 R

Haven't broken them in yet though...I'll give it a few hundred miles...
I'd still be looking at tire pressures, I'd say 32psi is too low for a non run-flat winter tire on the front of a 335i xDrive. RC will be quite different, IMO, (front to rear) on the softer rubber.

I'd be experimenting up to around 36psi on the front, if I had the issue on a car. See if things change.

I was running 35 - 36psi on the front of my E91 RWD 330d 17" non run-flat performance winter tires, and they were still on the softer edge.

BTW, what is the load and speed rating on the tires? That could be a clue to what is going on.

On the trouble shooting front you have changed tires, that is where the issue will be, pretty much for certain, rather than issues with the car itself, or systems.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #24
dunderhi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgioarmani View Post
what size wheel? 19?

gosh well paint me envious
Thanks. I run 19" Michelin Pilot Super Sports on BBS RGRs for the Summer and 18" Michelin Pilot PA3s on BBS RGRs for the Winter. The difference between the two is subtle, but I don't like giving up too much dry performance in the Winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #25
dunderhi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
PA3 is a "performance" winter tire. Much more rigid/stable tread blocks than more hardcore snow/ice tires.
True, but they are the same tires as the OP, so he shouldn't have traction control issues just because they are non-RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #26
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'd still be looking at tire pressures, I'd say 32psi is too low for a non run-flat winter tire on the front of a 335i xDrive. RC will be quite different, IMO, (front to rear) on the softer rubber.

I'd be experimenting up to around 36psi on the front, if I had the issue on a car. See if things change.

I was running 35 - 36psi on the front of my E91 RWD 330d 17" non run-flat performance winter tires, and they were still on the softer edge.

BTW, what is the load and speed rating on the tires? That could be a clue to what is going on.

On the trouble shooting front you have changed tires, that is where the issue will be, pretty much for certain, rather than issues with the car itself, or systems.

HighlandPete
I'm actually considering running 38 psi cold all around...I realize the staggered tire pressure offsets understeer a bit with the AS, but in this case, I'm not looking for a cornering beast...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #27
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
I installed my winter setup on my '13 335i xDrive Msport last night (18" 225/45-18 Blizzak LM60 non-RFT on Elbrus I08) and have no issues. Tire pressure is set at 35psi cold all around.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
martinf79
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5 M50i

No issues w Blizzack LM-60s.
      11-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #29
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Was warm today, tire pressure was probably up, no more issues... I think solution is limiting contact patch and breaking these tires in.

Need to find my bloody tire pressure gauge to fill up tmrw...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #30
Nero7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i

Is it a bigger problem when you use studded winter tyres? I have ordered 225/45 18" Continental Conti Ice Contact, don't know if I will have the same problem with these tyres .

/// M-Sport 328i // Packages -- Adaptive Drive-- Drive Comfort -- Function -- Visibility // 19" 403M // M-Sport Brakes // Harman Kardon // Head Up Display ///
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #31
SamE30
BMW Certified Technician
Canada
Rep
Drives: 84 325e 2.8L PTE6262

Did you try resetting your FTM?

If not, go through the iDrive and under vehicle status there is an icon with 'init' on it. Follow the prompts and this will reset the FTM. Make sure you pressures are set to the placard in the drivers door sill.

If you got your tires changed at an outside shop, they may not have re-initialized the FTM. This is crucial because when you change tires, you change the diameter, which changes the speed the wheels rotate in relation to one another. The DSC module takes input from wheel speed sensors, and if there is a difference, it can cause intervene falsely.

I actually tested this on a 1M last week when switching to winters. They are fast, but not enough to spin a set of Pilot Alpines in 4th gear at 100km/h in dry.

To answer previous questions, you can run non run-flats on a BMW. They are not only designed for run flats. As long as the FTM is initialized and learns the tires, it will be fine.

- Sam
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #32
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

As Sam suggested, make sure you reset your TPMS.
You guys may have already done this, but it's a good reminder in case you haven't.

I was at the TireRack last Friday and they installed a set of
Bridgestone RE970 AS tires. When I got in to leave the TPMS was lit up,so I just reset it. It only took a few feet for the system to reset. They put the PSI at the recommended door sill numbers, 32ft and 35rr.
I have a 335i Msport with 18" staggered sizing.

Owners manual shows different psi for 328i and 335i even with same size tires. These are normal psi, not high speed high load.
Make sure you're starting with the correct PSI before experimenting, so that you have a good base starting point.

328i RWD and Xdrive with 18" square - 32/35
18" staggered - 32/32
19" staggered - 32/35

335i RWD and Xdrive with 18" square - 32/38
18" staggered - 32/35
19" staggered - 35/38

Last edited by RPM90; 11-20-2012 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #33
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
DSC safety interrupts on hwwy after i changed to michelin alpin winter tires from a non bmw garage yesterday. (private garage confirmed from michelin that these tires are compatible)

And i mean total baby mode. Funny thing is, i can floor it all i want on normal roads but when i get on the highway boom nanny dsc mode.

I got the michelin alpins non runflat in the same exact dimensions as the summer runflats for the 19 inch stock wheels.

Dealer says it s cause the car is developed for runflats (especially my xdrive)and the tires are probably too soft hence the issue. wow, dsc can only work in harmony to runflats ok.. tell me thats a joke?

besides that, they dont know what it could be casue no error codes are being thrown they say, lol, and that it might be the surface of the hgwy being the culprit and that had i had them install tires which is what i 'should' have done this wouldnt be happening now.

and apparently all bmws now have runflats...

fuckin A will it ever end? can my car just be my car?

any ideas? gonna put the summers back on cause i cant drive like this...
What Michelins are you using?
What sizing?

TireRack doesn't show a 19" Pilot Alpin set that matches the OEM size spec.
Perhaps TR doesn't carry them, I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #34
SamE30
BMW Certified Technician
Canada
Rep
Drives: 84 325e 2.8L PTE6262

Also, keep in mind FTM and TPMS are two different things in the BMW world.

TPMS was mandated in the US after the Ford Exploder incident. It utilizes sensors in the wheel itself.

FTM uses your wheel speed sensors to detect a flat tire, it won't actually be triggered until about a 6psi difference from the initialization pouint. It's pretty simple actually, a tire with less air in it has a smaller diameter, thus it spins faster. I know the Canadian spec BMW's use FTM, not sure if the US car's switch to FTM, or they sttill use the TPMS system. I haven't seen a US spec car in a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #35
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamE30 View Post
Also, keep in mind FTM and TPMS are two different things in the BMW world.

TPMS was mandated in the US after the Ford Exploder incident. It utilizes sensors in the wheel itself.

FTM uses your wheel speed sensors to detect a flat tire, it won't actually be triggered until about a 6psi difference from the initialization pouint. It's pretty simple actually, a tire with less air in it has a smaller diameter, thus it spins faster. I know the Canadian spec BMW's use FTM, not sure if the US car's switch to FTM, or they sttill use the TPMS system. I haven't seen a US spec car in a while.
Good to know. I wasn't aware that in Canada your cars don't use TPMS as standard. FTM costs less and customers don't have to worry about the tire sensors when mounting different tires.

US cars have to have TPMS, so no need for FTM, as TPMS actually measures each tires individual PSI.
There are air pressure sensors in each tire that transmit their pressures to a central receiver that then communicates with the cars computer.
I think TPMS is a better way to do it, although it costs more for the manufacturer and the customer.

US F30's have the capability to show each tires pressure, but you have to code it to get the reading.
A member on here, SVACHE, has the codes if anyone is interested in turning on that function. I have no idea why BMW didn't just turn it on by default, after all it's already in there, just not turned on.

A reset of either system is still a good suggestion to at least eliminate that potential as the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #36
RPM90
Major General
Rep

OP have you checked your tire sizes?
Which Mich Alpins are you running?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #37
Sweeper
Second Lieutenant
Latvia
Rep
Drives: F10 , R8 , F30 M

Today i've changed my summers to exact winters in 18 on xdrive

225/45 and 255/40

Have the same DCT issue (((( . Wtf bmw !

Running pirelli sottozero II winters
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #38
Sweeper
Second Lieutenant
Latvia
Rep

And btw I've resetted the sensors and pumped air as door car suggested. No help.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #39
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
And btw I've resetted the sensors and pumped air as door car suggested. No help.
Weird.

So, with the winter tires you have no traction warning at take off or at low speeds, but on the highway at steady speed, you get a warning or traction light blinking?

If you get a warning, what does it say?

What are the temps there when you're driving?

What if you turn TC/DSC off completely, do you still get a warning?

I'm running all seasons with no problems at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #40
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

I had this problem with the E90 as well, very common. Issue is first and foremost that the tires are freshly mounted on the rim, very soft and haven´t really set. Will get better once they´ve been run in, and winter/all-season tyres ARE softer because they are supposed to operate at low temperatures. Second, RFT tyres. Non-RFT ones are a bit softer, some more than others. So they flex more and the PMS.. sorry, DSC-system goes in. Turning on DTC helps because DTC allows some more spinn before it lets DSC go in and control it. Be aware of that.

All-season tyres are in reality not suppsoed to be used ALL season. It´s just non-studded winter tyres, they are too soft to function really good in the warmer periods. And using them ALL year around really kills their winter characteristics. The rubber isnt supposed to be exposed to warm temperatures..

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #41
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
DSC safety interrupts on hwwy after i changed to michelin alpin winter tires from a non bmw garage yesterday. (private garage confirmed from michelin that these tires are compatible)

And i mean total baby mode. Funny thing is, i can floor it all i want on normal roads but when i get on the highway boom nanny dsc mode.

I got the michelin alpins non runflat in the same exact dimensions as the summer runflats for the 19 inch stock wheels.

Dealer says it s cause the car is developed for runflats (especially my xdrive)and the tires are probably too soft hence the issue. wow, dsc can only work in harmony to runflats ok.. tell me thats a joke?

besides that, they dont know what it could be casue no error codes are being thrown they say, lol, and that it might be the surface of the hgwy being the culprit and that had i had them install tires which is what i 'should' have done this wouldnt be happening now.

and apparently all bmws now have runflats...

fuckin A will it ever end? can my car just be my car?

any ideas? gonna put the summers back on cause i cant drive like this...
I am experiencing the same thing with my Blizzak LM-60s that I had installed on the OEM M Sport 18s this morning. Even the lightest acceleration triggers it -- it's very disconcerting....6th gear at 70mph and giving a tiny bit of gas to speed up slightly will trigger it. Granted, it is unseasonably warm right now (50 degrees F), I'm hoping it's not as much of a problem when the tires are broken in and we have ACTUAL "winter" temperatures here to stiffen up the rubber a bit. It's definitely better in Sport+ so I may be running Sport + all the time while it's still this warm out.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #42
Sweeper
Second Lieutenant
Latvia
Rep

Ok I get DSC on these conditions :

1) when the road is bumpy and you drive around 30-70km/h , DSC kicks on landings
2) when you driving around 65km/h for example on 4th and if the car shifts to 5th , and you will cruise on that speed than try to pedal it and DSC kicks in
3) if you are driving about 80km/h on straigh road and doesn't matter if you push the pedal 5% or 90% , it won't accelerate , just flashing DSC

The interesting thing is that on 0km-60km/h launchesh it doesn't flash , aswell as just driving in city (only sometimes).

By my experience it only flashesh when you are in higher gear and low RPM and trying to accelerate.

Conditions : 5Celcium , foggy day , 225/45 fronts 255/40 rear on 18 , as factory setup Pirelli Sottozerro II (full winter tyres)

Videos added.

Car is 320XD Automatic

I believe we all have pretty serious problem here.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #43
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
I am experiencing the same thing with my Blizzak LM-60s that I had installed on the OEM M Sport 18s this morning. Even the lightest acceleration triggers it -- it's very disconcerting....6th gear at 70mph and giving a tiny bit of gas to speed up slightly will trigger it. Granted, it is unseasonably warm right now (50 degrees F), I'm hoping it's not as much of a problem when the tires are broken in and we have ACTUAL "winter" temperatures here to stiffen up the rubber a bit. It's definitely better in Sport+ so I may be running Sport + all the time while it's still this warm out.
Just a quick update: as I suspected, after the temperature here dropped to a more "wintery" temperature of 30F, the problem went away for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #44
Sweeper
Second Lieutenant
Latvia
Rep

Its 0 celcium here. Tried to pump tires 2.4 and 2.6 , nothing helps. Going to dealer for a hint tomorrow :-(
Appreciate 0