F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M Sport Brake upgrade
Extreme Powerhouse

12-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

M Sport Brake upgrade

Just a bit of info for those wanting to know if the "Brake upgrade" was any good and worth the money.
IMO after driving the Sport without the upgrade for most of the day, and then getting back into mine with the upgrade, the difference was really noticeable the upgraded brakes are so so much better, peddle feel is really good and feel is very much improved.
It would not be as easy to notice if the cars were not driven back to back.
Worth it to me, and this is not from a mad boot down driver, you can feel the difference in normal driving.
      12-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

Thats great news at least it's money well spent!

How did the satnav issue go with the dealer..

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30FAN View Post
Thats great news at least it's money well spent!

How did the satnav issue go with the dealer..
Yep it sure is, if you have them on order you wont regret it.
      12-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

12-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Just a bit of info for those wanting to know if the "Brake upgrade" was any good and worth the money.
IMO after driving the Sport without the upgrade for most of the day, and then getting back into mine with the upgrade, the difference was really noticeable the upgraded brakes are so so much better, peddle feel is really good and feel is very much improved.
Worth it to me, and this is not from a mad boot down driver, you can feel the difference in normal driving.
Thanks John - this is great news for me. I specced the brake M Sport Brake upgrade, hoping for exactly what you've described. I know they're not full-on things, but I hoped they'd be firmer on the pedal, easier to modulate and stronger stoppers. Sounds like all this is true.

I put top-notch aftermarket brakes (AP Racing) on my last two cars and I'd never be without them. Not something you can appreciate the value of until you've driven cars with and without.

It's good to hear you feel the difference in normal driving. This fits my experience - in normal road situations, it's more about a reassuringly firm pedal, feel and control.

The M Sport brakes sound like great value from your comments :-)

Now all I need is for the next two weeks to go by quickly ...

Dave
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Good to know as I have them optioned up.........but...........would you really notice the difference once you get used to your car? I think not so much?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Good to know as I have them optioned up.........but...........would you really notice the difference once you get used to your car? I think not so much?
Maybe not once you get used to them, but the feel and peddle firmness is always there and it just feels M3 like if you know what I mean.
The STD brakes IMO are soft almost spongy in comparison.
      12-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Maybe not once you get used to them, but the feel and peddle firmness is always there and it just feels M3 like if you know what I mean.
The STD brakes IMO are soft almost spongy in comparison.
I know exactly what you mean.....the 4 pots will also react better to aftermarket pads too
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Hi Nisfan,

Again, this is down to personal taste but, if you like involvement, feel and control, then I'd say you'll miss that feeling the second you step into a car with ordinary brakes.

Yes, you will get used to good brakes, just as you do real power (or torque in our world). But likewise, I think you'd miss them hugely them if someone downgraded your brakes to standard overnight.

For me, great brakes, with firm pedal, genuine feel and real control are every bit as high on the list as handling and straight-line go. By control, I mean the ability to start braking, push a bit harder, feel clearly where you are relative to lockup or ABS kicking in through the pedal and then having complete confidence in all braking situations. You end up with a level of control that makes a difference even in normal A-B driving. And when you do a bit of spirited driving, it's just marvellous.

I'm leasing my car, so I can't do any mods and that makes me very happy to hear the M Sport upgrade is pretty good.

Dave

My concern was that the M Sport brakes might not make a big difference,
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
Hi Nisfan,

Again, this is down to personal taste but, if you like involvement, feel and control, then I'd say you'll miss that feeling the second you step into a car with ordinary brakes.

Yes, you will get used to good brakes, just as you do real power (or torque in our world). But likewise, I think you'd miss them hugely them if someone downgraded your brakes to standard overnight.

For me, great brakes, with firm pedal, genuine feel and real control are every bit as high on the list as handling and straight-line go. By control, I mean the ability to start braking, push a bit harder, feel clearly where you are relative to lockup or ABS kicking in through the pedal and then having complete confidence in all braking situations. You end up with a level of control that makes a difference even in normal A-B driving. And when you do a bit of spirited driving, it's just marvellous.

I'm leasing my car, so I can't do any mods and that makes me very happy to hear the M Sport upgrade is pretty good.

Dave

My concern was that the M Sport brakes might not make a big difference,
You are going to be happy daveyc for sure.
      12-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6
Is this on a 335 or 328?

I've driven with brembos and Baer brakes on previous rides, and I felt like my stock 335i 4-potters were almost up to the same task (I might put on some stainless steel lines to make them stiffer)...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Is this on a 335 or 328?

I've driven with brembos and Baer brakes on previous rides, and I felt like my stock 335i 4-potters were almost up to the same task (I might put on some stainless steel lines to make them stiffer)...
Mine is on the 330D M Sport, not sure if the upgrade is available to all F30/31 models, you will have to check. Anyone?.
      12-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine is on the 330D M Sport, not sure if the upgrade is available to all F30/31 models, you will have to check. Anyone?.
US 335i's come with the M Sport front brakes as standard, well same calipers, not sure what disc size they use.

Here in the UK, the M Sport brake upgrade gives the 4 pot calipers painted blue, with bigger discs all round. I can't remember if the rear calipers are 2 piston or the standard single sided piston but are also painted blue.

It is basically the same caliper kit as M Performance but with non drilled discs. Which to me is a bonus, having drilled discs on anything other than a track car is stupid.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
US 335i's come with the M Sport front brakes as standard, well same calipers, not sure what disc size they use.

Here in the UK, the M Sport brake upgrade gives the 4 pot calipers painted blue, with bigger discs all round. I can't remember if the rear calipers are 2 piston or the standard single sided piston but are also painted blue.

It is basically the same caliper kit as M Performance but with non drilled discs. Which to me is a bonus, having drilled discs on anything other than a track car is stupid.
My rears are 2-pot in the 335i.

Yes, the M perf upgrade didn't seem to make sense to me, because all it offered were larger rotors...which, for a non track, commuter car, doesn't make any sense...but it's nice to see that the 4-potter in the US 335i is similar to the one used in the kit!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #15
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
At £570 the M Sport Brake System seems a bargain. Non-M Sport owners are forced down the route of the M Performance 18" Brake System which probably won't get you much change out of £2k?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Is there actually better stopping/braking performance from the brake upgrade; or is it solely down to pedal feel/lack of fade etc.?
      12-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #17
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
Is there actually better stopping/braking performance from the brake upgrade; or is it solely down to pedal feel/lack of fade etc.?
The standard system will stop the car from 90mph to 0 just as quick (in a one braking event emergency). The ABS will kick in in both systems limited by tyre traction. Pedal pressure would most likely be higher on the stock system.

Of course the upgraded system has more capacity, which for track use would come into it's own.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #18
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
Hard driving and the upgrade wins, also "Feel" to anyone into performance means a great deal and gives confidence, IMO from what time spent driving both, the upgrade gives me a lot more.
      12-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #19
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The standard system will stop the car from 90mph to 0 just as quick (in a one braking event emergency). The ABS will kick in in both systems limited by tyre traction. Pedal pressure would most likely be higher on the stock system.

Of course the upgraded system has more capacity, which for track use would come into it's own.
Thanks, what I wanted to hear (didn't spec M Sport brakes ). As long as they actual perform the same when it matters, I'm personally happy; got 6-pot fixed caliper brakes (OEM, made by Brembo) on my 135i and while they're fantastic, gets a bit grating in daily driving as the pedal is so sensitive and it can result in some jerky driving if you're not careful I'm sure they're great though, but I had to cap the options somewhere
      12-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #20
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
It's not standard in USA. 2NH is not yet available on US-spec cars.
The calipers are different as the fronts on 2NH are 370mm - standard 335i fronts are 345mm.
The rears on 2NH are also larger than standard.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #21
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
For EU/ROW available on all engine versions of M-sport, so relatively speaking it's better value for a 316i/d than a 335i as the cost is the same but the incremental upgrade is bigger.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #22
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Anyone know if 335i/330d get the same (standard) brakes in the UK? Or are the 335i's discs bigger etc.?