F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Head to Head Test BMW 328 Xdrive and Cadillac ATS 2.0
Studio RSR

02-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

Head to Head Test BMW 328 Xdrive and Cadillac ATS 2.0

This is a pretty thorough comparison from the Canadian site autos.ca . I largely agree, for me I much prefer the look of the BMW and the ATS is too small for me. The ride on the BMW also is now less sporty than in the E90.

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/...-ats-2-0t-awd/
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Yeah, but one's made in Detroit by union labor and the other's made in Germany by non-union labor! Hhhhmmmm, I wonder which one's a better car in every way? Good, I see at the end he "gives the crown" to the 3 Series.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Yeah, but one's made in Detroit by union labor and the other's made in Germany by non-union labor! Hhhhmmmm, I wonder which one's a better car in every way? Good, I see at the end he "gives the crown" to the 3 Series.
I guess you didn't read the article if you think the 3 is a "better car in every way". According to the author the ATS had better steering, better handling, more power at the mid and top end, better observed fuel economy, better engine sound, etc.

And he admits his choice of the 3 was mostly due to the larger back seat for his family.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
I guess you didn't read the article if you think the 3 is a "better car in every way". According to the author the ATS had better steering, better handling, more power at the mid and top end, better observed fuel economy, better engine sound, etc.

And he admits his choice of the 3 was mostly due to the larger back seat for his family.
The ATS often gets the nod for handling and steering, but this guy is on his own with giving engine cred to the ATS over the 328.

I think he might be letting the crank ratings get in his head. Edmunds dynoed both cars and at no point does the ATS make more power and its slower in every measurement.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
I'll admit I'm biased and would have difficulty buying a car built in Detroit. I realize Cadillac is trying to appeal to a younger demographic, but when I see one I still think the owner is at least 70 years old and dines at early bird specials.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60
Uh wrong. BMW is heavily unionized. The Spartanburg plant (maybe Pretoria aswell) are the only plants that are not unionized. The problem isn't necessarily with unions themselves as much as it is the UAW.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll admit I'm biased and would have difficulty buying a car built in Detroit. I realize Cadillac is trying to appeal to a younger demographic, but when I see one I still think the owner is at least 70 years old and dines at early bird specials.
I would gladly drive a 6mt CTSV wagon tuned to 700hp and do a nice smoky burnout in the face of people with such a mentality.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #8
GB72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport Melbourne red

What an utter pile of shite!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #9
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

let me get this straight from most of the reviews I've seen:

1. ATS 3.6 is overall preferred to the BMW 335i
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

2. BMW 328i is preferred to the ATS 2.0
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mw-328i-page-3

Generally, the ATS 2.0 is preferred to the ATS 3.6, so doesn't this mean the BMW 328i is better than the BMW 335i...lol

Last edited by BMWinGE; 03-03-2013 at 05:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #10
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

No matter how good the ATS is, it will not sell here in the UK. We do not like American cars, we do not like Cadillac's and we do not like their consumer demographics.

I can't recall if they do plan to sell it in the UK or not, but if they do I doubt highly they will get the sales they want. Maybe some clever marketing could push things in their favour, but BMW, Audi, Mercedes will just push right back and assert badge dominance.

Thing is, many qualitative views are not/cannot be taken into account by reviewers. Something simple like the quality of the maps on the Navigation. I don't mean how up to date they are, but how they look, how they take landscape into account, thickness of roads, RTTI, pleasant woman and the colours used. Mercedes' is fecking horrible! Audi's is pretty good. BMW's is best. Does the ATS used GM's system?

My opinion, but if you simply take a look at each system, I'd be surprised if you said the others were easier on the eye. The BMW is a well rounded car, as are Audi's. Merc's to some extent...

My point being, the Cadillac may be a dynamically better car in terms of performance on the track, but I want a BMW or an Audi over it, and that can't be explained so easily.

One could argue a biased view, what with being a Bimmerpost member approaching 2000 posts and a BMW owner for 7 years so far (9 by the time it's bye bye 328i), and I highly doubt I'll be in another marque, unless the Fisker Atlantic is as amazing as it could be. Or the Tesla Model S actually... Mmm...
But, like every time, I will look at all rivals to be sure!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
J Tiberius
Captain
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Imperial Blue Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123
No matter how good the ATS is, it will not sell here in the UK. We do not like American cars, we do not like Cadillac's and we do not like their consumer demographics.

I can't recall if they do plan to sell it in the UK or not, but if they do I doubt highly they will get the sales they want. Maybe some clever marketing could push things in their favour, but BMW, Audi, Mercedes will just push right back and assert badge dominance.

Thing is, many qualitative views are not/cannot be taken into account by reviewers. Something simple like the quality of the maps on the Navigation. I don't mean how up to date they are, but how they look, how they take landscape into account, thickness of roads, RTTI, pleasant woman and the colours used. Mercedes' is fecking horrible! Audi's is pretty good. BMW's is best. Does the ATS used GM's system?

My opinion, but if you simply take a look at each system, I'd be surprised if you said the others were easier on the eye. The BMW is a well rounded car, as are Audi's. Merc's to some extent...

My point being, the Cadillac may be a dynamically better car in terms of performance on the track, but I want a BMW or an Audi over it, and that can't be explained so easily.

One could argue a biased view, what with being a Bimmerpost member approaching 2000 posts and a BMW owner for 7 years so far (9 by the time it's bye bye 328i), and I highly doubt I'll be in another marque, unless the Fisker Atlantic is as amazing as it could be. Or the Tesla Model S actually... Mmm...
But, like every time, I will look at all rivals to be sure!
Fisker and Tesla are American cars designed and built in California. We're not all bad over here.
      03-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Cadillac might sell some cars in US, but in Europe their numbers can't be taken in consideration at all
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #13
wayman519
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 6MT A51

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2009 128i  [0.00]
FYI if you miss the E46, and i bet a lot of people here do. The ATS was built on the E46 template. Its definitely worth a test drive. The engine is underpowered and the tranny is a dog. But if you pick the right setup, you could have a very close to E46 car.

Edit: The ATS is nowhere near as the pretty as the E46 or F30 and more.

Last edited by wayman519; 03-04-2013 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #14
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

^^^ I don't have to miss the E46, I still have it!

I sat in the ATS last month here at the Canadian Auto Show and it was a sea of cheap shiny plastic. No matter how it drives, I won't be able to stand sitting in that thing. Sorry, pass.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #15
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

The ATS is a decent first effort by Cadillac. I test drove one before I decided to go with the F30. Overall I felt the ATS had the edge over the F30 in handling and braking, but didn't feel as quick as its numbers suggest (2.0t model), the interior was not to my liking, and the trunk was significantly smaller than other cars in this class. It will be interesting to see how the ATS evolves in the next generation.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #16
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayman519 View Post
FYI if you miss the E46, and i bet a lot of people here do. The ATS was built on the E46 template. Its definitely worth a test drive. The engine is underpowered and the tranny is a dog. But if you pick the right setup, you could have a very close to E46 M3 car.
Really? Kindly point me to the ATS configuration that gets you close to an E46 M3. You can't even get a manual with the 6 cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
AdrianRex
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma
^^^ I don't have to miss the E46, I still have it!

I sat in the ATS last month here at the Canadian Auto Show and it was a sea of cheap shiny plastic. No matter how it drives, I won't be able to stand sitting in that thing. Sorry, pass.
After seeing all of the glowing reviews about the car, I went to a local dealership to see one upclose. I was profoundly disappointed by the interior styling and build quality. I'm sure the car drives as well the reviews say and I'll certainly give it another look in the future, but for now I'm comfortable saying it doesn't hit the sport-luxury balance as well as BMW, Audi or Mercedes does.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #18
ckimmel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Ltd

Garage List
Escalades?

I thought that the Escalade was a popular vehicle in the UK with professional athletes? Didn't I hear that on one of the car shows? It is a Cadillac and it has to be ungodly expensive there. If your pro athletes drive them, the general public will follow suit eventually.

Funny. I think that the Escalade is garbage, but I think the Land Rover and Range Rovers are garbage too. I would drive a Land Cruiser or LX over those any day. BUT, the UK products are popular with wealthy people in my area. Loads of Range Rovers on the road here. Why? I dunno? Owners will even say they are garbage and cost a lot to upkeep, but they keep driving them. I suspect it is the status symbol and back to my initial point... A lot of our pro athletes drive them, so other people of means follow suit.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #19
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

I think a major issue that is not addressed is what Cadillacs look like long-term. Interiors of American cars hardly stand up over time. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but in 2010 (when I last owned it) the interior of my 1999 M Coupe looked far better than the interior of my 2002 Chevy Suburban did in 2006 (when I sold it).
Things may have changed, but I will need to see long term proof that Cadillac has changed the quality of their interiors.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Uh wrong. BMW is heavily unionized. The Spartanburg plant (maybe Pretoria aswell) are the only plants that are not unionized. The problem isn't necessarily with unions themselves as much as it is the UAW.
The big problem that people like myself have with Cadillac is with the UAW, which I'm sure is what he was referring to. That, and the problem that GM is basically Government Motors. Ford is the only American company I remotely respect right now, and I still don't respect them enough to buy one of their cars.
For me, the UAW making the car was my #1 reason for not even considering a Cadillac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
The ATS often gets the nod for handling and steering, but this guy is on his own with giving engine cred to the ATS over the 328.

I think he might be letting the crank ratings get in his head. Edmunds dynoed both cars and at no point does the ATS make more power and its slower in every measurement.
Exactly. Every test I've seen always points to the 328i being superior to the ATS in the engine and performance area.

Case in point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature..._8kTTbBA#t=99s
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #20
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedo302 View Post

Exactly. Every test I've seen always points to the 328i being superior to the ATS in the engine and performance area.

Case in point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature..._8kTTbBA#t=99s
I still think there is missinfo in that test.

He says you have to pull 4th gear at 55 in the ATS. Doubt it, he must have meant in the 1/4 mile. No way a 6mt would need to be shifted to 4th in a car like that, this isn't an 18spd Kenworth.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #21
ckimmel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Ltd

Garage List
UAW

I grew up in a GM/UAW town. We were always told that during the cold war our factories made us #12 on the USSR's hit list. It was said that there were plans to convert to munitions in a 48 hour time frame if needed. We toured the huge GM factories in high school as part of our education - like "here is where you will end up". Most of the parents in our town worked for GM or provided services for those employees. All of the negative things that are stereotypes are based upon facts. Employees just milked the clock, worked to barely meet a quota, smoked and ate themselves sick, made good money (counting on OT) and expected a nice retirement with health care paid for. There was never any focus on product, pride, or a mission statement.

The factories are now huge lots of grass which conceals soil so polluted that it will take decades to remediate.

I believe that, for many years post WWII, our country made the best assembly line produced cars you could find. I think that would be hard to dispute. How we get back to anything close to that status is anyone's guess, but I think that it comes down to Americans getting a sense of pride in their work back and committing to taking care of themselves. Boy that is political huh?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #22
wayman519
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 6MT A51

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsent View Post
Really? Kindly point me to the ATS configuration that gets you close to an E46 M3. You can't even get a manual with the 6 cylinder.
Sorry maybe M3 was an over exaggeration. I don't like the ATS at all, it looks hideous. But the chassis is E46. Probably a copy.
Appreciate 0