F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > What's the experience like when adding a music hard disk?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35is

What's the experience like when adding a music hard disk?

Hi,

since my old trusted and beloved iPod classic is reaching it's 160 GB limit fast, I am in need for a new solution.

How does music stored on a portable hard drive appear in iDrive? Will it be a simple directory navigation or does the car actually read the music files' ID3 tags and use those to display by artist/album/whatever?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

It reads the ID3 tags. It supports directories too.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Thanks Frogman. So it actually behaves similar to an iPod? How long does it take to read in the ID3 tags and does it store them or will they be re-read on every start of the car?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm using a USB stick, but I'd guess it works the same way on a HD based USB device.

I'm not sure it behaves the same as an iPod; for example, USB drives don't show album art.

I just played with this and found:

1. If you browse the media, it shows directories and file names.
2. If you search, it searches based on ID3 tags.
3. When it plays, it shows the ID3 tag info.

When I plug in a USB stick with lots of files (> 4000) it can play the first found song quickly, but if I browse the directory, it took a few seconds before the whole list showed up, so it looks like the car scans the USB drive in the background.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Its faster than Ipod ir usb stick. BUT when you import it will set all the folders under ONE as USB.. then sub directorires.. i recommend doing a sample play list then checking how it looks then delete and then import full library at once.. of 11gb
      10-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

thanks guys.

faster than iPod? My iPod has no delays at all when connected. The car reads the iPod database, which is extremely quick.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
c.cash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i modern line

Just a heads-up: You say you want to use a portable hard drive. Unless I'm misunderstanding, the manual says they aren't supported.

For using the glove-box USB connection, it says:

Unsuitable devices: USB hard drives, USB hubs, USB memory card readers with mul‐ tiple inserts, Apple iPod/iPhone. Music from the Apple iPod/iPhone can be played via the AUX-IN port in the center armrest.

For the center armrest port, it says:

Connection via USB audio interface: Apple iPod/iPhone, USB devices, e.g., MP3 play‐ ers, USB flash drives, or mobile phones that are supported by the USB audio interface.

And it also later says:

▷ Do not connect USB hard drives.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I do know though that USB hard drives work just fine in the armrest compartment. They just need to be small enough (e.g. 1.8 or 2.5 inches) so that the USB port can deliver enough power.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'd also be worried about putting a HD based USB drive in the car. I would think the vibration/shocks could cause the heads to crash.

A solid-state device should be much safer, you just have to deal with the limited size.

You can get big USB flash drives (up to 256GB), but they are expensive. I've only tried a 32GB stick and I don't know what the limit is on the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

I think you don't need to worry. Take the iPod classic for example. It's based on a hard drive (non solid state). Been using it in my BMWs for many years without a problem. These little hard drives are built for notebooks, e.g. mobile computers that are prone to constant rattle, vibration etc.

I will just give it a try.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 04:48 AM   #11
c.cash
Private First Class
Rep

I went into my iTunes music folder and just copied some artist folders to a USB stick.

I noticed tonight that when I connect it to the center compartment, "play all", for example, will only play the songs in a one album folder, and the song(s) will just repeat. I have the HUD, and it will only show me the song(s) in the current folder.

But if I save the contents to the internal HD (via the glove box), I get a full list of all songs in the HUD, and playback continues from one folder to the next.

So I'm going to copy as much as I can to the car's HD. I imagine using an iPOD/iPhone/iTHing would give a lot more functionality, like having Playlists.

From what I can tell, using a portable HD, or USB flash drive seems very limited -- unless you just throw a whole lot of songs in one folder.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
I'm not sure it behaves the same as an iPod; for example, USB drives don't show album art.
I get album art when playing from a USB drive (I have the Pro Nav if that makes any difference)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
I get album art when playing from a USB drive (I have the Pro Nav if that makes any difference)
I do as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oops, you're right. I think you lose it when you are importing music into the HD. I can't remember for sure. There seems to be a lot of arbitrary rules with music on this car!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.cash View Post
I went into my iTunes music folder and just copied some artist folders to a USB stick.

I noticed tonight that when I connect it to the center compartment, "play all", for example, will only play the songs in a one album folder, and the song(s) will just repeat. I have the HUD, and it will only show me the song(s) in the current folder.

But if I save the contents to the internal HD (via the glove box), I get a full list of all songs in the HUD, and playback continues from one folder to the next.

So I'm going to copy as much as I can to the car's HD. I imagine using an iPOD/iPhone/iTHing would give a lot more functionality, like having Playlists.

From what I can tell, using a portable HD, or USB flash drive seems very limited -- unless you just throw a whole lot of songs in one folder.
Thanks for this c.cash. That sounds really bad. Looks like I have to keep using my iPod and just compress the sound more
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #16
c.cash
Private First Class
Rep

To add more detail: I imported everything off the USB flash drive to the car's HD. One advantage of using the armrest USB port with a flash drive is that album art was displayed. Oddly, it is not displayed once it's imported. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #17
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.cash View Post
To add more detail: I imported everything off the USB flash drive to the car's HD. One advantage of using the armrest USB port with a flash drive is that album art was displayed. Oddly, it is not displayed once it's imported. Weird.
Agreed, very strange limitations. Oh well...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #18
c.cash
Private First Class
Rep

I'm trying to work all this out myself, so I'm updating as I go.

There is a solution to the "trapped in a folder" problem when using a USB flash drive in the armrest: Playlists.

In iTunes you can export playlists by right-clicking on them, and from the file type drop-down, choose m3u format, and just save them to the root level of the USB drive. I think Windows Media Player has the same ability.

As expected, you can play all the songs in a playlist continuously, regardless of folder structure. The list also shows up in the HUD. (When you first insert the drive, it may a take a while for the playlist(s) to show up on-screen because the music folders populate first.)

So:

Armrest USB = Playlists and Album Art; playlist in the HUD; but without a playlist it'll just repeat the contents of whatever folder you're in.

Glove Box Import = Plays songs contiguously from folder to folder; you see a list of all songs in the HUD; but Playlists and Album Art are not available.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #19
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, very strange limitations. Oh well...
BMW made some very strange design decisions with the hard drive. Not only does it not show album art, but there's no way of editing/deleting your MP3s once you've imported them. The only way is to wipe them and import the whole lot again.

I did try to export everything onto a USB stick hoping that I'd be able to edit the exported data and then then re-import it, but it seems it gets encrypted when it's exported so that's a non-starter.

I've given up using the hard drive now and just use a USB stick plugged into the armrest socket. I get album art and it's simple to add/edit/delete stuff - problem solved. What were the designers thinking?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW made some very strange design decisions with the hard drive. Not only does it not show album art, but there's no way of editing/deleting your MP3s once you've imported them. The only way is to wipe them and import the whole lot again.

I did try to export everything onto a USB stick hoping that I'd be able to edit the exported data and then then re-import it, but it seems it gets encrypted when it's exported so that's a non-starter.

I've given up using the hard drive now and just use a USB stick plugged into the armrest socket. I get album art and it's simple to add/edit/delete stuff - problem solved. What were the designers thinking?
You can delete a track. Select it and push Option.

You still can't add, rename, or do anything else to the track though.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #21
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You can delete a track. Select it and push Option.
Hmm - I'm sure I tried that before without success. I'll give it another go just out of curiosity.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #22
vigalent
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 318D

Hi all....

I'm having no luck at with USB import..... I've connected my USB fash drive (FAT32) in the glovebox, but when I try an import I get

'No corresponding data available on USB device'

Anyone have any idea what this message means....I did manage to do 1 import when I was 'learning' (single album) and is was ok (same USB disk as well).

Any helpers out there please.....

Last edited by vigalent; 11-11-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0