F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW Previews 4 Series Gran Coupe Individual Options
ARMA SPEED

02-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #23
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
as tempting as the Grand Coupe is
I'm waiting for the 2 door version of the 4 door version of the 2 door
as opposed to the 4 door version of a 2 door version of the 4 door

not sure what kind of smack the BMW marketing team is smoking
but I think they should include some for potential buyers of this car
so at least when someone with some intelligence asks them what's the grand coupe?
they can explain it
      02-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #24
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [8.33]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
i like the the striping on the seats, exterior needs m-sport

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #25
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qunadry
BMW produces the 4 and 2 series to separate 2 door from 4 door and then produces 4 door "Grand Coupes". Nothing but outrageous marketing smoke and mirrors. When is the 4 series crew-cab pick-up going to be announced?
Enough people like the looks of gran coupes that it makes financial sense for BMW to develop an offering. It does nothing to dilute the 3er so what's the big deal?
      02-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #26
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgone View Post
Enough people like the looks of gran coupes that it makes financial sense for BMW to develop an offering. It does nothing to dilute the 3er so what's the big deal?
it's not about making financial sense
the z4 sells in very low quantities and has a much lower profit margin than the Audi R8, it doesn't lead its' class in anyway
yet bmw continues to make it.

but we've heard the line from BMW that they won't make an R8 competitor because it doesn't make financial sense
to I think its time they hire some new financial analysts

spinning models off the same platform makes sense, of course
but you have to put a little bit of effort into it

making a 4 door version of the coupe has got to be one of the stupidest ideas ever to come out of BMW, right after hiring chris bangle.
why not call it a 3 series grand coupe?
i'm pretty sure its to charge more for it
because as BMW learnt from Audi
4>3 (A5>A4)
      02-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #27
Venom692x
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i X Coupe

Yeah I think the 3 series GT and 4 series GC should be merged together under the 3 series GT moniker.

This car is so similar to the 3 series, with a hatch. Oh wait that already exists. So this is the 3 series hatch that isn't abominable looking. Sigh.

I just hope the 4 series doesn't end up being the like the 6series, where almost every car at every dealer is the gran coupe... Although that may be less likely to happen because the 4 series is a lot more similar to the 3. The 2 door body style was one of the biggest differences which the 4GC lacks.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #28
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Damn people are repetitive. Any mention of the 4GC, now the tenth thread and people say the same shit.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #29
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well we're pretty far off in taste then - it's not popular but I've always liked what Chris Bangle did. He took BMW from modern to boxy.

As for the R8, while I'd love to see BMW make a competitor to it, I can see why it is cost prohibitive for them while it's not for Audi. You have to remember Audi is part of a larger conglomerate and the engine is a detuned Lambo Gallardo variant.

The 4GC is wider and lower than a 3. Some people will feel that style is worth the price premium. I know if I was struggling making a decision between a coupe and a sedan the 4GC would be perfect for me. But as always, to each their own.
      02-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #30
Qunadry
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
How many similarly sized 4 door cars does BMW need to make? How about something to compete with the Porsche Cayman?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #31
blacksquid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qunadry View Post
BMW produces the 4 and 2 series to separate 2 door from 4 door and then produces 4 door "Grand Coupes". Nothing but outrageous marketing smoke and mirrors. When is the 4 series crew-cab pick-up going to be announced?
Coupé does not mean 2-door, it means cut, as in the back is cur with a more sloping roofline. It's a body style that can accommodate 2-door and 4-door variations. Manufacturers have been making 4-door coupés for years.

John
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #32
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qunadry
Quote:
How many similarly sized 4 door cars does BMW need to make? How about something to compete with the Porsche Cayman?
It would be irresponsible for BMW NOT to make the 4GC if there is a significant market for it and it adheres to their brand ethos.
      02-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #33
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Imagine a black m-sport with individual merino white/black interior? Or dark brown. Either would be amazing.
      02-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #34
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Is it just me or does the 4-series gran coupe lend itself better to the luxury/individual lines than the m-sport?
Attached Images

02-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #35
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Individual is code word for "fugly and expensive"
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #36
jasemsport
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E46 touring M-sport

The nutmeg looks good... Also like the leather dash, makes the car stand out.

Why do all the same ppl always feel the need to come into a 4gc thread and start to rant again how a 4-door coupe is not a coupe...

Go rant in a 'coupe' or 'sedan' thread about it... :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #37
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
How about rather than have 17 different spin-offs of each model... the 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,x1,x2,x3,x5,x6 i mean ENOUGH!..... they made things a bit cost effective so they were not charging you THOUSANDS of dollars for "extras" that are routinely included as standard fare on cars costing HALF the price.

The "rear climate" on my 12 X5 was like $2000.... its a scam.... you still have to turn heat on in the front so the kids can get it to go on in the rear. You know what the dealer said? "We get complaints about that all the time".

Why is the rear view camera in one package, and the overhead view camera in another? All the cars are adding up to 80 large without even trying.

Seriously, the shit BMW charges extra for is getting absolutely crazy. Since when is plain old black an individual, bend over here comes a screw job, extra?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #38
SRB
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

Individual & M

Played with the configurator on the Germany and Netherlands site.

If you select M body it deselects the Individual leather.

Anyone know if this is just a bug with the program? I assume it is, there is a guy in Belgium who ordered an M body with the individual leather.

Also tried to select the Individual extended leather with the Dakota seats. This was not possible, however I assume this is true, that you need to get the Individual seats to be able to get the extended leather dash.

Would hate it if you could not get the individual leather with the M body - a leather dash would significantly raise the feel of the interior (recently test drove a new X5 with extended letter, it made the car seem a level up).
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #39
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRB View Post
Played with the configurator on the Germany and Netherlands site.

If you select M body it deselects the Individual leather.

Anyone know if this is just a bug with the program? I assume it is, there is a guy in Belgium who ordered an M body with the individual leather.

Also tried to select the Individual extended leather with the Dakota seats. This was not possible, however I assume this is true, that you need to get the Individual seats to be able to get the extended leather dash.

Would hate it if you could not get the individual leather with the M body - a leather dash would significantly raise the feel of the interior (recently test drove a new X5 with extended letter, it made the car seem a level up).
M Sport is officially not available with Individual but Individual options can be specified at additional cost. Speak to your BMW Partner.
      02-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #40
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgone
it's not about making financial sense
the z4 sells in very low quantities and has a much lower profit margin than the Audi R8, it doesn't lead its' class in anyway
yet bmw continues to make it.

but we've heard the line from BMW that they won't make an R8 competitor because it doesn't make financial sense
to I think its time they hire some new financial analysts

What an provoking and incorrect statement.
It's not about financial sense it is about priorities. BMW have spent the last 10 years in conceiving technology , advances in manufacturing , sustainable mobility , tackling emissions legislation and focusing on segments that symbolise growth. Other manufactures done the opposite now they are catching up but in that time they extended their priorities in favour of 15 minute vanity projects.
Now their limits have come apparent.

One Supercar project = resources for the above. As an Independent company BMW AG have to be profitable. Building such a car back then would not be profitable for the company. But in BMWs defense they did not need a halo car for this purpose as the BMW brand is strong to support a globally popular brand image in lieu of a super sports car.

BMWs expertise and intelligence has led us to the Carbon Age where the impossible has come the possible for BMW. Its highly beneficial strategy has not only brought BMWi , but new methods of manufacturing , cost effective use of CFRP far ahead of our competitors at cost for use. A new generation of BMWs await utilising CFRP from the ground breaking BMW i3 in their construction and new partnerships with other manufacturers and industries to reap the development costs.

BMW is the world most innovative manufacture at this time , Audi/ VW are behind Hyundai/Kia. That is sticking to your priorities and as a business provide dividend for our shareholders and future product plans.
1 Supercar could not do all of that.

But BMW have finally brought their interpretation of a sports car. Its a sports car of the future. And a very possible future. It's called the most progressive sports car because it embodies the attributes of a sports car but combines with sustainable mobility. Its the revolutionary BMW i8 and you will soon see how this car is revolutionary because it dares to be different , it completely embodies BMWs philosophy as it does when implementing exciting new concepts.

As it stands the compact and sub-compact segment is where current and future growth lies BMW has to downsize as well as upsize.
And to remain Independent BMW have to be competitive in each respective segment.

Also with SUVs - BMW X models are globally the best selling premium SUV models it is only right that the company continues to dominate this segment which is why more SUVs or SAVs are coming.
In the global market , the best selling models for any manufacturer are SUVs and crossovers.

But everyone will have more as markets downsize and upsize for high performance concepts.

The same strategy that exists for BMWi Will be mirrored with BMW M. With not only stand alone concepts. But in engineering , design and development.

Thanks to the utilisation of material technology at a significant lower cost. BMW can be excessive with CFRP because they are producing it for volume. Other manufacturers are not therefore their costs are higher.

One such project aims to combine high performance and Eco technology with lightweight materials in a car that will be more than a fraction of the cost of today's cars with similar specifications.
Specifications and ideas are currently being thrown in all directions from all departments involved. It's to celebrate a very special anniversary in 2016 but to look at the future.
The i8 will be three years old at this point.

To suggest BMW does not have the engineering know how is an insult to their skills and intelligence. It's not just going to be like a re bodied Gallardo.

spinning models off the same platform makes sense, of course
but you have to put a little bit of effort into it.

BMW does put a lot of effort into the engineering. The central piece is modular but mounts and firewalls are placed in regards to what model it is whether a Coupe , Sedan or SAV.

making a 4 door version of the coupe has got to be one of the stupidest ideas ever to come out of BMW, right after hiring chris bangle.

Why do many insist in blaming the fictional problems at Chris Bangles door.
Chris Bangle was a visionary that brought modernity and fresh thinking to BMW and he should be applauded because the vehicles styled under his supervision not only dethroned Mercedes-Benz for the no 1. Premium manufacturer. But his ideas and visioned opens up car design to discussions that compared architecture etc. Also Bangle can accept criticism. I can tell you about designers who have fled at the slightest opportunity of "well that does not work".

Besides the cars Bangle gets criticised about were designed by the current BMW chef of design, hardly a reward for failure.

why not call it a 3 series grand coupe?

How many times must this be mentioned. The 4er is lower and much wider than the 3er. Your clearest evidence is the M3s rear arches that have been extended to accommodate the wider track. Whilst the M4 has a slight width increase.
      02-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #41
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Damn people are repetitive. Any mention of the 4GC, now the tenth thread and people say the same shit.
      02-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #42
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by erce View Post
Individual colors are named: Citrine, Pyrite Brown, Tanzanite, Brilliant White, and Frozen Cashmere Silver. Interior colors are Merino, Golden Brown, Opal White, Cashmere Beige and plain black. Looks all very nice to me.
The picture in the first post indicates the interior color is Nutmeg? Merino is not a color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
All those individual options are Msport compatible.
Not sure about that, in the US. I guess I'll need to consult my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #43
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
How about rather than have 17 different spin-offs of each model... the 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,x1,x2,x3,x5,x6 i mean ENOUGH!..... they made things a bit cost effective so they were not charging you THOUSANDS of dollars for "extras" that are routinely included as standard fare on cars costing HALF the price.

The "rear climate" on my 12 X5 was like $2000.... its a scam.... you still have to turn heat on in the front so the kids can get it to go on in the rear. You know what the dealer said? "We get complaints about that all the time".

Why is the rear view camera in one package, and the overhead view camera in another? All the cars are adding up to 80 large without even trying.

Seriously, the shit BMW charges extra for is getting absolutely crazy. Since when is plain old black an individual, bend over here comes a screw job, extra?
If you want a Ford, buy a Ford.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #44
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qunadry View Post
You don't need to worry about the BMW's you have no intention of buying, k?
Appreciate 0