F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Car Buying: Is This a Scam?
proTUNING Freaks

09-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #23
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

I was going to play but I can't even find that car on ebay
      09-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #24
95DakarM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 95 M3

Well, I did some research and ran the complete CarFax report. Like I said I have been talking to the seller as well. She told me that the cars location was in Fort Bragg, NC. She wouldnt offer a telephone number or any other means of communication. Now that I have paid my $25 for the CarFax, it says that the car has had 3 owners. And that it is located in Glenview, IL.. From what I can obviously conclude is that the deal is a fraud. Hope this helped you in your decision. As it did mine. If you need some more info just lemme know. Ill have the CarFax for 14 more days.

95DakarM3
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #25
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95DakarM3 View Post
Well, I did some research and ran the complete CarFax report. Like I said I have been talking to the seller as well. She told me that the cars location was in Fort Bragg, NC. She wouldnt offer a telephone number or any other means of communication. Now that I have paid my $25 for the CarFax, it says that the car has had 3 owners. And that it is located in Glenview, IL.. From what I can obviously conclude is that the deal is a fraud. Hope this helped you in your decision. As it did mine. If you need some more info just lemme know. Ill have the CarFax for 14 more days.

95DakarM3
The op even says (typed) that the seller informed him the car was in Blaine WA!!!! WTF! Don't people have better things to do then try and rip somebody off? Sad part is this person has probably done it before, and successfully.
      09-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #26
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

She still hasn't responded to my latest reply, I'm guessing the scam artist is trying to make it look like I'm actually talking to a full-time, employed, legit woman by responding to my emails at the same time everyday.

Haha.

Glad to see that this has helped someone, maybe a sticky should be made for known scam schemes in the buying/selling forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #27
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95DakarM3 View Post

95DakarM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
She still hasn't responded to my latest reply, I'm guessing the scam artist is trying to make it look like I'm actually talking to a full-time, employed, legit woman by responding to my emails at the same time everyday.

Haha.

Glad to see that this has helped someone, maybe a sticky should be made for known scam schemes in the buying/selling forum.

Glad that you guys didn't get scammed. Small world that two M3post members were almost scammed by the same scammer.
      09-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #28
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

I'd bet you guys dollars to donuts that it's not a woman you're exchanging emails with. Unless it's your own grandma, there's no way someone is going to sell you a vehicle for that much less than it's really worth when they could simply walk into a dealer and get a whole lot more on the spot. Come on guys, don't waste your time and don't let yourself fall victim to these bastard crooks.

On the other hand, when I see stuff like this, I do occasionally enjoy playing with the scammers a bit before I report them. In a sick and entertaining way, I guess I enjoy making them feel like they're oh so close to making a deal right before I pull the rug out from under their feet...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #29
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Woah, I don't belong to M3Post. Only in my dreams

EDIT: How do you report them? There's no actual evidence of them being scammers until you actually lose your money to them, and no one has the balls to do that just to get them convicted.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #30
95DakarM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 95 M3

Quote:

EDIT: How do you report them? There's no actual evidence of them being scammers until you actually lose your money to them, and no one has the balls to do that just to get them convicted.
I cant really report her but on my CarFax Report I can however report that the car is being posted up for sale by another person. In this case, a scammer. Done alittle more research and found who the actual owner is. Its definetly not a female. I emailed the guy about whats been goin on. Ill post his response when/if he gets back to me. Definetly glad I didnt go through with this.

Oh and....

To introduce myself...

I drive a manual 95 dakar M3. Mainly exterior mods with a soon to be added AA supercharger.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #31
SDTopless
I just wanna do my car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 350z RevUp =)

what if... carfax is behind all these scams and they get those people who check the cars out to run a carfax for that $25 charge?
      09-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #32
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

yup thats a scam. too good to be true!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #33
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:

You don't need to wait until you're ripped off. These bastards are so obvious. Here's how to report a fraud - from the AutoTrader website. All you need is suspicion...

(Hope I'm not violating any forum rules posting this here. If I am, my apologies - feel free to set me straight.)

How to Report Fraud

Help us stop fraud. If you receive a suspicious email, let us and law enforcement know right away.
Step 1: Forward any suspicious emails to us immediately at fraudwatch@autotrader.com. Don't change the subject line or send it as an attachment-doing so could prevent us from identifying trends and preventing similar scams. To speak directly to a Fraud Watch Customer Service Representative, call 1-877-742-8040 (Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-10 p.m., Sat. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. EST).
Step 2: File a complaint with the Internet Fraud Complaint Center to inform federal and state law enforcement agencies. Report the fraud to local law enforcement as well.
We strongly recommend that you report fraud to law enforcement (Step 2). AutoTrader.com investigates all reports in an effort to protect our customers against future fraud. However, it's not likely we can help you get your money back. And we can't arrest the thieves who stole it.

Internet Fraud Resources

Visit the sites below to learn more about Internet fraud.
Internet Fraud Preventive Measures
Better Business Bureau (BBB)
Be a Smarter Consumer
Tips to Avoid Online Escrow Fraud
Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
Practical Tips to Help You Be on Guard Against Internet Fraud
Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC)
Fake Seals and Phony Numbers: How Fraudsters Try to Look Legit
California Department of Corporations
Top 10 Tips to Avoid Online Escrow Fraud
National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB)
Search Database for Vehicles Affected by Recent Hurricanes
Coordinating Committee of Automotive Repair (CCAR)
Handling, Disposal, and Repair of Flooded Vehicles
Department of Motor Vehicles
Contact Your State Department
Obtain Vehicle History
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #34
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
The car is already under ebay's custody, at a shipping company in California.
HELLO? ANYONE THERE? Why the hell would eBay take custody of anyone's items?

If anyone falls for the scam, they deserve it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #35
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

It's about 8:15pm now and I'm waiting for a reply, as most of them have always appeared around this time. Hopefully "she" pops up soon.

EDIT: Hey I got a question for you guys. Should I use CarFax or the DMV?

http://www.dmv.org/vehicle-history.php
http://www.carfax.com

When I searched the VIN # the DMV website gave me more records than CarFax. The DMV service, AKA AutoCheck, is also $10 cheaper for unlimited checks.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #36
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

ask to put it on layaway

also file a complaint here

http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #37
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Alright, it's almost 10:00pm here and no reply. I think the seller has given up on me.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #38
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ♥

I found it!

Damn man, what a DEAL!
________
Universal Health Warehouse
________
The Cigar Boss
________
VAPORIZER VOLCANO

Last edited by Hula-Hula; 08-27-2011 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #39
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

SCAM. She could easily walk into any dealership and sell the car for 28k.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #40
White08M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
At the beginning of my search, I couldn't believe what I saw.

A 2004 BMW M3 for $5,600 rolled for just 13k miles. "Yeah, it's a scam I thought" until I got involved with the seller over email. I need your guys' experience with online car buying. The following is the email conversation I had with the seller. I removed some parts to retain both of our privacy.

TLDR: Seller explains why the price is low: divorced, does not need car as she is a she...
Wants to pay over eBay using Escrow services
Car is "under eBay's custody" and at a shipping company in California
Offered to send car straight to me at no expense, if I like it, I pay for it and deal is over, but if I don't like it, I send it back to her at her own expense.

Sounds fishy to me, but Escrow seems to be very reputable. The only thing I don't get was that the car was listed to be in Blaine, WA, but the car itself is in California?

Should I go for it, or by your experience, what will happen if I take the offer to "test" the car?

I also checked the VIN # she provided me, but because I don't have full access to CarFax, all I know is that the VIN belongs to a 2004 BMW M3, as described, and that there are 9 records listed. I plan to get CarFax access soon if YOU let me follow in.

Thanks. *Flamesuit activated*

1000000% scam....

E92 ///M3/Alpine White/6MT/Tech/VRS Boot Lid/UUC SSK/H&R Sport Drop/Hamann lip/ Remus Race Exhaust...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #41
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

^^ Most definitely a scam ^^

Don't mean to thread-jack, but what about this?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...4&rdpage=thumb

I think it's way too good to be true. Maybe the flip out monitor and the dubs lowered the value a bit
      09-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #42
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I just found out that this scammer doesn't have much experience at all. 95DakarM3 just told me the name that this scammer is using and it matches with mine. Same name and most likely the same email.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #43
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

thats near me
lol ill take a look.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #44
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

$13,000 is a steal for a 2006 M3. It's probably violated in some way.

But who am I to say that?
Appreciate 0