F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How did I choose my car and options?
ARMA SPEED

07-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
How did I choose my car and options?

When buying my F30 I convinced myself it was the right balance between ‘head’ and ‘heart’ for the budget I had (which I still blew by nearly £2K). Was I right? Who knows, but for your entertainment….

Model : 328i Luxury – Initially looked at the 320d and love the torque of a diesel but fed up with the noise and the smell at the pumps over the last 5 years. At the time (March 2012) the 330d wasn’t an option. The combined mpg of the 320i and the 328i didn’t seem so far apart so decided to treat myself and go for the 328i. Sadly BMW don’t sell a 328i Sport Line in the UK, the interior of the Modern Line is ghastly (tinned tuna is not on my list of favourite colours) and I'd have had to add more options to the SE, so Luxury won by default.

Colour : Melbourne Red – while the F30 seems to look good in any colour, the UK has lots of black, dark blue and silver cars. White shows up dirt, bugs and shut lines more (I’m lazy), and wasn’t brave enough to go for one of the metallic brown. As to the interior, well beige is hard to keep clean and while I do like Saddle Brown I was talked out of it (harder to resell in the UK?), so took the only other option - black.

Wheels : Style 398 18” – the standard alloys on the Luxury look difficult to keep clean, and the 19’s may have been too firm for our rubbish UK roads. The 398’s give you a slightly wider rear tyre too, plus they look easy to keep clean. Am I the only one who has a fixation about grubby alloys?

Sat nav : BMW Professional Multimedia (Navigation, BMW Assist, BMW online portal, Bluetooth telematics ‘n’ stuff, voice control, Black Panel Display). At one time I swore I’d not buy built-in satnav and stick with Tomtom, but built-in is so nice the inner-geek in me just caved at all those features!

Lights :Visibility Package (Xenons, wash, adaptive, high-beam assist). Was always going to get Xenons (a BMW without Xenons is like... well insert your own phrase here, e.g. [Angelina Jolie without her lips]), and have been impressed with the adaptive lights on my other half’s RX450h. Could live without the high beam assist but seeing as it was included in the package who am I to complain. (Tried it once actually with mixed results but I will persist).

Skipped – Advanced Parking Assist : I know it’s nice but I couldn’t justify £525 for something I guess I should be able to do myself (okay I admit the included front/rear PDC does help somewhat!). Besides, I try to avoid parking in tight spots, especially public car parks as sooner or later your doors WILL get bashed.

Skipped – Active Security Package (lane departure/lane change warning) : Again, couldn’t justify £995 for an ‘extra set of computerized eyes’. Hope I don’t live to regret it!

Skipped – Interior Comfort Package (folding rear seats, folding rear headrests) : The Luxury Line already has 2-zone AC and extended lighting (also part of this package) so didn’t want to splash £450 for the privilege of occasionally folding the odd item.

Transmission – Sport Auto : Ok the car might be the Ultimate Driving Machine but in my case the driver isn’t! Last 3 cars have been autos, besides, saw many reviews saying the new 8 speed Sport Auto in the F30 was really good, plus when I drove it changes seemed plenty smooth enough & quick enough. Plus for just £135 over the cost of the ‘standard’ auto it seemed like a no-brainer, you get paddles with Sport Auto and slicker changes (mind you, had paddles on my Audi and hardly ever used them).

Suspension – stock F30 : My bad here, I didn’t do my research well enough and got the impression this was more useful for ‘enthusiastic’ drivers. What I didn’t realize was that it is also handles our poor UK roads much better in Comfort Mode. My E81 was really 'crashy' and the F30 is a vast improvement although there's still some 'bump/thump' on pot-holed roads, so I’d almost certainly add it if ordering again.

Steering – Servotronic : 328i comes with Servotronic as standard. Decided not to spend £250 on Variable Sport Steering as I’d probably not miss it with my driving style.

Head-up Display : How could I resist. For £800 a passive safety feature I’ll consciously use every time I drive. Plus my Mrs. has HUD in her RX so this puts me on an even footing. (It’s a bloke thing!).

Speed-limit Info : Ok, maybe a moment of weakness here. £220 well spent? Probably not, except for bragging rights over the Mrs as she doesn’t have it! “I think I won that round dear!”.

Skipped – Surround View : Looks really cool in videos I’ve seen, but felt at £500 it was something I’d rarely use. Wonder if I’d seen it in person I’d have been tempted?

Seats : Went for Sport Seats, electric, heated + lumbar support. Preferred the ‘snugness’ of the Sports Seats over the standard ones, plus had them in my E81 and loved them. Electric because I hate it when the Mrs mucks up my settings – now my seat can forget her delightful curves at the touch of a button! Lumbar support and heating cos I’m not getting any younger. All in all, the seat is where you spend all of your time so splashed out on pretty much everything ‘seaty’.

Skipped – Comfort Access : My E81 had this and I got used to just knowing the key was on me somewhere, but for £400 I figured I needed to make a saving. Having to now find my key to lock/unlock the car is a bind (especially as I’m forgetful) but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. Besides I can always unlock the car via BMW Remote on my iPhone… that’s if I don’t forget my phone!

Exterior mirrors – auto folding/dimming : Nice not to be dazzled by cars behind you and who knows, may keep them out of harms way in some unforeseen parking event?

Sunroof : My first three cars were convertibles and this is my way of pretending that for £870 I still have 93 million miles headroom and some connection to the outside world while driving (then I guess there’s always the motorbike for that). Also helps brighten up that somber black interior!

Privacy glass : Because it makes it that much more comfortable for rear passengers… who am I kidding, it just looks more cool! At £235 it’s not so much more than having them professionally tinted.

Skipped – sun blinds : Hopefully the VIP’s in the back will be satisfied with my ‘privacy’ glass, even if they don’t have their own heated seats or cigar lighter!

Skipped – upgraded audio (BMW Business £400 or HK £650) : Law of diminishing returns really for my hearing. Doubtless they sound better but with tyre and a bit of wind noise I leave my serious music consumption for home. (My Grado SR60’s are probably one of the best investments I’ve made).

Skipped – BMW Apps (6NR) : Again my bad because for just £130 I could have got a bit more juicy gadget goodness out of my car (as an iPhone user), with potentially more things in the pipeline. Could get a retrofit (BimmerTech do it for £399, plus dealers may do it in future) but I shall see how badly I miss this first.

BMW Service Inclusive : At £350, Mr ‘Head’ decided this was financially sensible (saves me a bit in the long run?).

BMW Trackstar : Now I may have goofed here because I understand that BMW Assist gives you something similar albeit in a slightly different way. “Hello, my car has gone. Where is it?” as opposed to “Hello, you’re car has gone, here it is”. Still for £250 + £299 lifetime subscription it’s a little peace of mind. I’m one of those paranoid people who’d rather not have to claim on my insurance if I can help it (UK insurers seem to want all your money plus your firstborn these days).

There you have it, my logical and not-so-logical reasoning behind most of what I went for. If I were ordering again today I’d probably go for the 328i M Sport now that it’s available, possibly in red but I’d actually be torn with Moonstone (mainly because it looks unusual… and that after what I said about keeping light coloured cars clean). While I like Tanzanite Blue I just know I’d get swirl no matter how careful I was. Other bits, well I’d definitely add the adaptive suspension and my evil geek twin would tick the BMW Apps box.

Feel free to ridicule my choices and/or apply your own logic

Life is a state of mind

Last edited by RobUK; 07-10-2012 at 04:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
I read this internally with a faux British narration, and it was wonderful.

Good words sir.

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
achopra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i MSport

I personally would not have gotten Red ( the red tail lights on a red colored car bother me) . I would have picked Saddle Brown or Mineral Grey, but color is personal choice.

Also would have got the folding seats, but since you have a rx450H also .. i guess its not necessary.

Would have got BMW App, it was cheap enough...

would have skipped the sun roof.

2020 G30 M550i ED on Sep 10, 2019
2016 F80 M3 ED on Jun 6, 2016
2013 F30 335i MSport ED on Aug 27, 2012 (Gone!)
2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK 350 (Gone!)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
a_k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G31 M550d

I had similar reasons for 328i Luxury. I also like the dials of Luxury line more than Sport and Modern. They look cleaner for me.
For interior I went with individual leather - kashmere beige / black. I like the practicality of black carpeting and contrast that light leather gives. Plus I hope that light leather will be less hot during summer.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Love the write up too... read it with a faux accent too hahaha :P

Quote:
Privacy glass : Because it makes it that much more comfortable for rear passengers… who am I kidding, it just looks more cool! At £235 it’s not so much more than having them professionally tinted.
I'm not sure on this one.. still thinking about whether I should have opt'd for it... not 100% sold on the dark back lighter front window look
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Sadly BMW don’t sell a 328i Sport Line in the UK,
I've read this in other threads. UNBELIEVABLE STUPIDITY!
If BMW make the 3 lines, offer it to EVERYONE. BMWUK should NEVER bee choosing for the customer, especially to a reasonably large market.

We have it here, at the bottom end of the world, with a tiny market.

By the way, congratulations and great choices. Enjoy your car.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia View Post
If BMW make the 3 lines, offer it to EVERYONE. BMWUK should NEVER bee choosing for the customer, especially to a reasonably large market.

We have it here, at the bottom end of the world, with a tiny market @ a hugely inflated price compared to the rest of the world
^ fixed
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #8
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
I read this internally with a faux British narration, and it was wonderful.

Good words sir.
I'm wondering which accent... Prince Charles, David Niven, Ray Winstone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopra View Post
I personally would not have gotten Red ( the red tail lights on a red colored car bother me) .
Agree, that's the one downside of a red car, the tail lights get 'lost'. That said, they do look nicest when they're on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
not 100% sold on the dark back lighter front window look
I know just what you mean, and in the UK they're really strict about tinting front windows. Anything that doesn't let at least 70% light through and they'll stop you

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia View Post
It's really frustrating. You can get Sport Line trim for the 316d, 318d, 320d, 320i and 320i xDrive, but not for the higher powered cars like the 328i, 330d, 335i or ActiveHybrid... just can't understand it

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #9
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
^ fixed
Compared with Malaysia and Singapore pricing, we are almost bargain basement prices.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

despite all the words so well chosen to describe your well justified choices,

you could have at least put a rendering of the car...

So your Mrs has an RX and you soon a F30... ??
Sounds just like for my girl and me, she is driving an RX330

COngrats!!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #11
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
I'm wondering which accent... Prince Charles, David Niven, Ray Winstone?
Joe Pasquale.

Looks like a great, well thought out combination BTW.
      07-10-2012, 04:29 AM   #12
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
despite all the words so well chosen to describe your well justified choices,

you could have at least put a rendering of the car...
Fixed that

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
So your Mrs has an RX and you soon a F30... ??
Sounds just like for my girl and me, she is driving an RX330

COngrats!!
Yeah, she gets paid a lot more than me so she has better toys, the RX450h plus she's got an Audi S5 cabrio I am allowed to drive the RX - super comfy & quiet as anything, but such a 'disconnected' driving experience. I'm not allowed the drive the Audi, guess that's her way of keeping me in check

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #13
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Joe Pasquale.

Looks like a great, well thought out combination BTW.
Joe Pasquale... I didn't see that coming. Now I've got that squeaky voice stuck in my head!

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0