F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Help, dealership wont fix limp mode
Studio RSR

11-24-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
HouseMusicRules
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD EBII

Help, dealership wont fix limp mode

Hi guys,
I got a 2013 335i M Sport. Dealership wont fix my limp mode problem b/c "they can't reproduce" the issue. If it happens to me 3-4 times a year how the heck can they expect to reproduce it in 1-2 days at the dealership. My warranty is going to expire in a few months and I need it fixed by then.
Anyone know how I can get the dealership to fix it?
Thanks,
HMR.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Allow them to complete an extended road test or get it on video.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

they should have a code saved by the system when you get the limp mode. did you go to the dealership when you got the limp mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
HouseMusicRules
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMsport View Post
they should have a code saved by the system when you get the limp mode. did you go to the dealership when you got the limp mode?
Couldnt... i had the kids in the car and I couldn't book an appt for a couple of weeks as they and I were busy. How long does the engine computer store the code for?

Just curious... how is it reasonable for them to expect us to just drive in when it happens? How realistic is that if you have family/work.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #5
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMusicRules View Post
Couldnt... i had the kids in the car and I couldn't book an appt for a couple of weeks as they and I were busy. How long does the engine computer store the code for?

Just curious... how is it reasonable for them to expect us to just drive in when it happens? How realistic is that if you have family/work.
The computer should store the codes. However spend 50-60.00 and buy yourself a code reader. Next time it happens, or anything else does in the future with your vehicles, you'll be able to read the codes yourself in case you have to restart and they clear or clear them yourself.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMusicRules
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMsport View Post

it should store it for awhile so you should go as soon as possible for them to read the code. this way they have it in the system so even if your warranty goes out then you have a record of it happening a few times just in case you need to sue them.
major codes are stored and not erased until they check it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

What dealer in the GTA (although I can probably guess). Just take it to another dealer. Doesn't matter where you take it. I always go between 2 dealers.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 06:45 PM   #8
HouseMusicRules
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
What dealer in the GTA (although I can probably guess). Just take it to another dealer. Doesn't matter where you take it. I always go between 2 dealers.
Town & Country in Markham. Guess i'll try another, thanks man.

As for the other suggestions... buying a device and storing the code myself seems excessive. I wonder if the dealership would even accept it since its not from their devices.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #9
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMusicRules
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Town & Country in Markham. Guess i'll try another, thanks man.

As for the other suggestions... buying a device and storing the code myself seems excessive. I wonder if the dealership would even accept it since its not from their devices.
Try these guys: Pfaff or Budd's
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 07:57 PM   #10
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You take a picture of the scanner displaying the code with your cell phone and show it to them (and keep for future dealings with service). Although the computer should be storing them to be read by their machine, it could just be they're reading a code, but in the couple of days you give it to them it doesn't trigger again so they give it back saying they can't reproduce. Have you asked them if they've found any stored codes and what they were for ?

As far as excessive ? Well that's honestly up to your judgement. But you're expressing frustration with the situation as it's developed to this point. This could potentially solve any issues with them not knowing the codes the car is generating to track down the problem. Plus having a code reader provides a way to do it in the future for any of your vehicles as well as other people you know. I've had one for years and it rarely gets used, but when that light comes on it provides a way to know if it's just a loose gas cap or something I need to contact the dealer about ASAP. Is that worth 50.00 ? Each person has to decide that themselves. Here's one at Autozone.

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...?checkfit=true

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #11
HouseMusicRules
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
You take a picture of the scanner displaying the code with your cell phone and show it to them (and keep for future dealings with service). Although the computer should be storing them to be read by their machine, it could just be they're reading a code, but in the couple of days you give it to them it doesn't trigger again so they give it back saying they can't reproduce. Have you asked them if they've found any stored codes and what they were for ?

As far as excessive ? Well that's honestly up to your judgement. But you're expressing frustration with the situation as it's developed to this point. This could potentially solve any issues with them not knowing the codes the car is generating to track down the problem. Plus having a code reader provides a way to do it in the future for any of your vehicles as well as other people you know. I've had one for years and it rarely gets used, but when that light comes on it provides a way to know if it's just a loose gas cap or something I need to contact the dealer about ASAP. Is that worth 50.00 ? Each person has to decide that themselves. Here's one at Autozone.

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...?checkfit=true
You convinced me. Bought one from amazon... lol. Thx.
Appreciate 1
CIWS654.00
      11-25-2016, 05:17 AM   #12
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You convinced me. Bought one from amazon... lol. Thx.
Any good deals on them, Black Friday help any ?

Appreciate 0