F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW 435i Engine Replacement
Studio RSR

03-08-2023, 01:40 AM   #1
435iKev
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i

BMW 435i Engine Replacement

I recently spun my rod bearings on my 435i RWD. It was around 109k miles, FBO Stage 2 BM3. I just sourced a new motor, 70k miles for 3 grand. I’m planning on replacing a few components on this new motor and had a couple questions.

1) I plan to replace the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, oil pressure control valve, plugs/coils, and injectors. I was wondering what other components I should replace while the motor is out.

2) I’m currently running Bootmod3 Stage 2(Agg) OTS tune. I’m obviously going to keep it on stock tune for a while but I was wondering how long I should keep it stock for. I still plan on flashing back to Stage 2 sometime but when would be a good time to do that?

3) I’m also adding the MMR oil sump baffle. I know the S55 oil setup is way better but I can’t afford it. Anyone who has the MMR setup please let me know your experience. I’m 99% sure the shitty oil pan design on the N55’s caused the spun rod bearings. I’ve never tracked the car and don’t plan to. I do drive decently hard and take it out on the occasional canyon sends.

Open to any advice thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 09:49 AM   #2
arekuf3x
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, X5

Was any work done on oil system before it let go, like oil filter housing gasket? From my research, MMR should help especially under hard braking. But a lot cars let go because oil system wasn’t primed after ofhg or low on oil.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 02:05 PM   #3
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Replace the rod bearings on the new (used) engine. If you're doing the baffle, you'll be right there at them anyway.

Also, do the oil filter housing gasket.

Make sure to prime the new engine before firing it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 06:10 PM   #4
435iKev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arekuf3x View Post
Was any work done on oil system before it let go, like oil filter housing gasket? From my research, MMR should help especially under hard braking. But a lot cars let go because oil system wasn’t primed after ofhg or low on oil.
No work was recently done on the oil system before it let go. I did have the “low engine oil light” but quickly added a quart of oil.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 06:12 PM   #5
435iKev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd5150 View Post
Replace the rod bearings on the new (used) engine. If you're doing the baffle, you'll be right there at them anyway.

Also, do the oil filter housing gasket.

Make sure to prime the new engine before firing it up.
Got it! I’ll definitely replace the OFHG. My mechanic is doing the motor replacement so I’m sure he knows the procedures such as priming.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 08:59 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435iKev View Post
No work was recently done on the oil system before it let go. I did have the “low engine oil light” but quickly added a quart of oil.
This was probably why. Did you ever get oil pressure warning or just to add oil?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 04:39 AM   #7
435iKev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
This was probably why. Did you ever get oil pressure warning or just to add oil?
Just the add oil warning. To be honest it was completely my fault, should’ve taken better care of the car. It’s my first Bimmer so I didn’t fully understand the amount of maintenance these cars need. Expensive lesson but I will definitely take a lot better care of the new motor.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 05:46 PM   #8
435iKev
United_States
Rep

My mechanic also told me to replace the Oil Pressure Control Valve while the motor is out. What does this do and is it necessary to change? He told me this could’be been a cause for my spun rod bearings.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 07:05 AM   #9
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Got it! I’ll definitely replace the OFHG. My mechanic is doing the motor replacement so I’m sure he knows the procedures such as priming.
No, most engines don’t require priming so most mechanics don’t do it.

If the car said engine low, that only means it was down 1L, I wouldn’t worry that you caused it but being stage 2 doesn’t help.

Put new bearings for sure and the baffle
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 08:43 PM   #10
SpoolinAddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i Stage 2 BM3

Quote:
I recently spun my rod bearings on my 435i RWD. It was around 109k miles, FBO Stage 2 BM3. I just sourced a new motor, 70k miles for 3 grand. I’m planning on replacing a few components on this new motor and had a couple questions.

1) I plan to replace the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, oil pressure control valve, plugs/coils, and injectors. I was wondering what other components I should replace while the motor is out.

2) I’m currently running Bootmod3 Stage 2(Agg) OTS tune. I’m obviously going to keep it on stock tune for a while but I was wondering how long I should keep it stock for. I still plan on flashing back to Stage 2 sometime but when would be a good time to do that?

3) I’m also adding the MMR oil sump baffle. I know the S55 oil setup is way better but I can’t afford it. Anyone who has the MMR setup please let me know your experience. I’m 99% sure the shitty oil pan design on the N55’s caused the spun rod bearings. I’ve never tracked the car and don’t plan to. I do drive decently hard and take it out on the occasional canyon sends.

Just curious, how much is the mechanic charging you for the swap? Labor and cost of the new used engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 10:51 PM   #11
arekuf3x
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, X5

If it was low on oil, it’s either burning it or leaking. N55s don’t like to run low on oil. Did you drive it aggressively on low oil? That would definitely kill rod the bearings.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 02:44 AM   #12
435iKev
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolinAddict View Post
Just curious, how much is the mechanic charging you for the swap? Labor and cost of the new used engine.
2k for labor and around 4K for the motor (used). Since the engine was already out I had my mechanic change all the gaskets and solenoid. It’s been a year and I haven’t have any problems with the replacement engine.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2024, 07:25 PM   #13
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
2k for labor and around 4K for the motor (used). Since the engine was already out I had my mechanic change all the gaskets and solenoid. It’s been a year and I haven’t have any problems with the replacement engine.
Btw, there are a LOT of junk used N55 motors around.

I tried 2 of them before just opting for a new N55 from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 09:45 AM   #14
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Btw, there are a LOT of junk used N55 motors around.

I tried 2 of them before just opting for a new N55 from BMW.
How much did it cost to get the new N55 from BMW? I have a e90, totally stock, great maintenance history but am terrified of this happening.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 02:33 PM   #15
monster6a2
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 335i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthilly View Post
How much did it cost to get the new N55 from BMW? I have a e90, totally stock, great maintenance history but am terrified of this happening.
Even though you might have the “bad” rod bearings out of the s65, if you properly maintain your engine, monitor your oil pressure, wait till your oil temp is in the green before inducing high rpm, and change ur oil every 3-4k miles, you shouldn’t have much to worry about.

Contrary to what many people say, the N55 is a reliable engine if it’s maintained well. Make sure you aren’t in need of any gaskets as this might contaminate your oil with unwanted debris, but over all, based on your great maintenance history, your engine should last for a long time. One thing that is specifically mentioned in this thread and I cannot stress this enough. Any time you do any maintenance that disrupts the oil channel, ex your oil filter housing gasket, please prime the engine. There are many different ways to do it and it realistically takes 15 min at most. Doing so will ensure that there is no oil starvation to your rod bearings and should keep your engine running healthy for many miles to come.

At some point as well, I’d suggest replacing your belt along with the tensioner and other components regarding that area of the engine. The N55 is known to suck up the belts into the crank seal, which shears the belt which then gets into your oil. Watch for that as well
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 02:43 PM   #16
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthilly View Post
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ne-11002286626

About $13,500 (includes the core charge) since BMW won't take an engine back with a few holes through the engine block.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2024, 04:56 PM   #17
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:

Do you remember which bearing? Ex. No6

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0