F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330d Touring in BMW Car Magazine - Much Better Review
Studio RSR

11-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

330d Touring in BMW Car Magazine - Much Better Review

Picked up a copy of the Nov issue of the BMW Car magazine today and the review of the 330d is far more positive.

Comments of:

"Back road blasting is a hoot thanks to the power and torque on offer and the way it pulls away from a standing start is simply staggering"

"I constantly find myself catching and overtaking slower moving traffic and the ease in which it carries out the task is bordering on the awe-inspiring."

"You feel yourself being gently but firmly pushed back in your seats, other than that within the cabin all is calm and serene."

Only faults they found are the wrap around indicators on the mirrors - can be a bit off-putting, especially at night (I found this too in the 320d I tried). And the heads up display surround can reflect in the screen under certain circumstances. Also don't expect the claimed 55mpg and take 5-10mpg off that figure.

It sums up by saying the 330d touring "has few, if any, peers."

You'll have to buy your own copy to read the rest.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

I've never read it but as it is a BMW enthusiast magazine it's not surprising it's positive is it?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

That's what I thought

Still not seen a proper review of the F30 330D anywhere
      11-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #4
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

This is more like the actual cars performance, about time ONE magazine actually drove the car., instead of making "assumptions".
      11-02-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I've never read it but as it is a BMW enthusiast magazine it's not surprising it's positive is it?

Is it a "bad" thing that its positive? Anyway I've only picked out the highlights (more positive bits) of the article.
Most people who come on this forum are BMW enthusiasts - does that make their own reviews "not surprising" too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
That's what I thought

Still not seen a proper review of the F30 330D anywhere
This is a proper review! But just a bit more positive than the dull-as-dishwater Autocar review. I'm sure if actual owners of the 330d tourer disagree with the comments, they will pipe up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
This is more like the actual cars performance, about time ONE magazine actually drove the car., instead of making "assumptions".
Exactly!
Good to hear the review is a little more accurate than others we have read.

As I've said elsewhere, the 330d has to be one of the finest engines in the world right now for the balance between performance/economy/emissions. So I'd expect some positive reviews at some point.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
As I've said elsewhere, the 330d has to be one of the finest engines in the world right now for the balance between performance/economy/emissions. So I'd expect some positive reviews at some point.
Have ANY of the reviews actually said the 330d hasn't got a brilliant engine? We know AutoCar made a negative about the example they were driving, but that doesn't mean it wasn't true and that other engines are better/different.

Lets not forget 330d engines have been around for years and even the current version is not a 'new' engine to the testers, so why do we think it needs to be proven to be 'brilliant' in the 3-series, almost goes as read, doesn't it? The 328i got a bit more attention, as that was a new departure for BMW, and everyone was wanting to see how it performed.

The best tests, IMO, will be when we see some serious group tests with its peers. Then we can see how the motoring journos really feel about the 330d.

BTW, DieselCar have tested the 330d touring and of course they are very positive. The comment that caught my eye;

Quote:
Back road pace can be summmed up in on word, cliched or not: devastating. Like the best of cars, the Touring shrinks around you and you soon forget you are pedalling a practical wagon. Be in no doubt, the 330d really is that good.
HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
andrew520d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5 25d

Auto Express have a group test with 330d tourer, Audi A4 Avant 3.0tdi quattro and mercedes 350 cdi estate this week.
BMW wins well and is awarded 5 stars overall.
Can't do much better than that I think.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is a proper review! But just a bit more positive than the dull-as-dishwater Autocar review. I'm sure if actual owners of the 330d tourer disagree with the comments, they will pipe up.
I think you missed the digit dude I meant there's not been a proper review of the F30 330D yet .. only the F31 330D
      11-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
I think you missed the digit dude I meant there's not been a proper review of the F30 330D yet .. only the F31 330D
Sorry Maestro, good point
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

11-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Have ANY of the reviews actually said the 330d hasn't got a brilliant engine? We know AutoCar made a negative about the example they were driving, but that doesn't mean it wasn't true and that other engines are better/different.

Lets not forget 330d engines have been around for years and even the current version is not a 'new' engine to the testers, so why do we think it needs to be proven to be 'brilliant' in the 3-series, almost goes as read, doesn't it? The 328i got a bit more attention, as that was a new departure for BMW, and everyone was wanting to see how it performed.

The best tests, IMO, will be when we see some serious group tests with its peers. Then we can see how the motoring journos really feel about the 330d.

BTW, DieselCar have tested the 330d touring and of course they are very positive. The comment that caught my eye;

HighlandPete
Yes, some fair points there Pete. I wouldnt expect no negative comments about the 330d. Its a great engine, but still a diesel so rattles and doesnt rev high like a petrol etc...
I think its the true enthusiasts for this kind of car that will give stunning, glowing reviews. Journos drive dozens of cars at a time and lets face it, virtually all new cars drive pretty good these days and there is perhaps 5% between a lot of them, if you rated them overall out of 100%.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Picked up a copy of the Nov issue of the BMW Car magazine today and the review of the 330d is far more positive.

Comments of:

"Back road blasting is a hoot thanks to the power and torque on offer and the way it pulls away from a standing start is simply staggering"

"I constantly find myself catching and overtaking slower moving traffic and the ease in which it carries out the task is bordering on the awe-inspiring."

"You feel yourself being gently but firmly pushed back in your seats, other than that within the cabin all is calm and serene."

Only faults they found are the wrap around indicators on the mirrors - can be a bit off-putting, especially at night (I found this too in the 320d I tried). And the heads up display surround can reflect in the screen under certain circumstances. Also don't expect the claimed 55mpg and take 5-10mpg off that figure.

It sums up by saying the 330d touring "has few, if any, peers."

You'll have to buy your own copy to read the rest.
Even taking 10 MPG off it it's still great. I managed 53MPG without trying so with harder use 45MPG would be more than fine for me.
      11-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #13
oop north
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru Outback 3.0R

Have a 330D SE saloon on test this week - in daylight, I find the dash top reflects a bit in the windscreen which is annoying. The mirror indicator is also a bit annoying - but worse is the reflection of the headlight switch in the driver's door mirror at night

The engine is very good - though I am not sure I would use the power more than occasionally. On a bumpy and slightly damp / cold country lane, the traction control light is a bit busy and the car feels a teeny bit wayward. I think I may wait to see if xdrive is going to be available on the 330d

My biggest issue, though, is with the 18" wheels fitted (optionally) to this car - more particularly, the noise generated, which is enough for me to decide I could not live with that (so that's the m sport straight off the list of possibles). I will be trying to get a drive in a 17" wheeled E90, and also a 16" wheeled ED to see if that solves the problem - on m-way drive yesterday I turned up the (standard) stereo to compensate and just got out of the car with ringing ears, which won't do.

I am the first to admit that I have a bit of a thing about road noise - rejected a 2005 X5 with 19" wheels on that basis (I had an E39 530D saloon at the time with I think 17" wheels), also in 2001 a Lexus IS200. My potential problem is that I think the E9x is the perfect size for me, so I really don't want to go any larger, but will not tolerate a lot of road noise.

For balance, I gave a quick ride to a couple of colleagues yesterday who wanted to see what it was like - and they both felt the tyre noise was OK and not at all excessive (one has a Merc CLS AMG and the other an A6 S-line)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by oop north View Post
My biggest issue, though, is with the 18" wheels fitted (optionally) to this car - more particularly, the noise generated, which is enough for me to decide I could not live with that (so that's the m sport straight off the list of possibles). I will be trying to get a drive in a 17" wheeled E90, and also a 16" wheeled ED to see if that solves the problem - on m-way drive yesterday I turned up the (standard) stereo to compensate and just got out of the car with ringing ears, which won't do.
From Auto Express... 330d touring.

Quote:
Yet despite a remarkably supple ride, the refinement suffers as it generates more wind and road noise than the Mercedes.
Was my biggest criticism of the 328i saloon I tested, far too much tyre and road noise getting into the cabin, the demo car was on 18" wheels. Plus too much wind noise for the premium status of the 3-series. Some say it has been improved, but the Auto Express comment suggests may be not.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:42 AM   #15
oop north
Private First Class
Rep

Noticed a whisper of wind noise from around the mirrors, but largely drowned out by the tyre noise at higher speeds (ie, I could hear a bit of wind noise even at around 40mph, if I remember correctly)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:56 AM   #16
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Exclamation

Are you sure you've driven this car?, I have one on loan and driven the 330D M Sport with NO ISSUES at all.
      11-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #17
oop north
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Are you sure you've driven this car?, I have one on loan and driven the 330D M Sport with NO ISSUES at all.
Yes, quite sure thanks I am not in the habit of making things up - not that you have any way of knowing that of course I did point out that two colleagues disagreed with me, and also said that I have a bit of a thing about tyre noise, so it is quite a personal thing

Did a 50-mile trip today, with my wife as passenger - and here might be the answer: she really hated the wind noise, but she thought the road noise was absolutely fine. I am the other way round - the tyre noise is extremely irritating, frankly, and means I could not live with the car on 18" wheels. If it's not better on smaller wheels, I will not be getting one (and yes I can afford it, thanks, so no "envy" here if that's what you're thinking ). I have a business I can put it through, though by the time I pay tax on the benefit I might as well buy privately

There was more wind noise today, perhaps because it is windier, I am not sure

But it seems that the frequency / pitch of the noise from tyres drives me nuts (very close to giving me a headache today after 20 minutes on the Mway to Blackpool from Preston), whereas the frequency / pitch of the wind noise irritates the lovely Helen.

Jolly annoying as in every other major respect, I thought the 330d might be just the car for me - reminded me of my lovely E39 530d (and an E39 525d touring I had before that) in many ways. I really don't want a bigger car than the F30 but I want hush and waftability more than rapidity
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I'd agree regards the tyre noise on the 328i and assume it's much the same on the 330d. To put the wind noise into perspective, I drove along the new section of the A1 earlier this year and it uses a very smooth road surface that reduces the tyre roar you get with most UK roads by a good 75%. That allowed me to really get a feel for the wind noise which actually wasn't that much, in fact the car felt very 'serene' - much more like these larger, better insulated exec cars do on regular roads.

I don't think there's anything practical you can do by way of additional insulation given the various routes the tyre noise takes to get to your ears (and you shouldn't have to on a new car!), so if noise is a deal-breaker then the F30/31 probably isn't the best, although haven't driven the current C Class to be able to compare.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #19
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

The tyre noise is probably down the the tyre choice they decided to put on your car - its probably not the car itself.

How many times have you heard people change their tyres and say their car is noisier/quieter.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
Estoril1984
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport

The first thing I noticed (compared to my 2008 E92 "with 19's") when driving the F31 Sport was the wind noise. That's why I ticked the Harmon Kardon option lol
      11-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #21
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Sadly run flats are just noisy.

I currently drive a C class, and it is quieter than the F30 both wind noise AND tyre/road roar.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #22
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

When I recently driven a 320d I cant say I noticed any issues with tyre noise or wind noise. Not that I was looking for it, but nothing made me think that any noise was excessive.
Appreciate 0