F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Adaptive suspension: knocking sounds over minor bumps
GetBMWParts

04-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #89
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry

I had this happen to me yesterday too, I don't think I was going that fast but the jolt on the downside of the bump was quite a knock.

As for speed, I don't think I've ever really checked but for normal road speed bumps maybe 15-20mph, for the car park black and yellow speed bumps maybe 10mph
Interesting. I tend to do 10 over the normal speed bumps. And very slow around 5 over the yellow supermarket type bumps
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #90
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I think I can speak for Dave when I say that the noise we hear is like travelling in a poorly maintained mini-cab. It can be best described as a 'clonk' and only really happens at low speed. So the speed most of us on here (ie not my wife) would approach a speed bump or manoeuvre small streets around town.

The noise in question also seems to occur on the 'return'. A bad description so for example riding up a speed bump will just bring on a normal suspension reaction and/or noise. Dropping down the other side of a speed bump will bring on the 'clonk'. The noise obviously occurs with potholes and other uneven surfaces but it's easier to identify/experience with a speed bump.

Again speaking for Dave, we both experience the noise all all four corners but it's most noticeable on the rear n/s but that could be down to in-car acoustics. I know I've had people in the passenger seat or rear seat who are largely unaware of it.

I'll also go out on a limb and say that I think this is an adaptive suspension problem, not passive. I know some on here with passive are mentioning the odd noise but if your car sounded like mine does and how Dave describes his then the dealers would be choking on F3xs. May be wrong on that but just my gut feeling. I should add that wheel size seems to play no part.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 06:27 AM   #91
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

The road around my BMW Service Dept is a shocker. Full of speed humps of every type. I drove around at speeds which varied from 5mph to 20mph and try as I might got no clunks, rattles etc. So I seem to be free of suspension and steering issues for now at least.
      04-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #92
///Marko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 35d lci

With those clonking problems with adaptive suspension are you satisfied with that overall? Just thinking is it worth it? I don't want to install coilover set to my forthcoming xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #93
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm not happy at all. For all its faults my E91 never sounded like that over the bumps, neither did the F31 Sport I had as a long term loan or I'm pretty sure the F31 M Sport demo I had for 24 hours.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #94
Shaunguitar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport white, CR,8AT

I have a 328i M Sport with normal suspension and was getting a thud/bang noise from the rear nearside whenever I went over a pothole/bump. After Lloyd Colne sent a PUMA case off they had the car for 2 days. When I dropped it off they said they 'had an idea' that it might be a suspension issue.

Just picked it up. They have replaced the rear shock absorber top mounts. That doesn't mean much to me BUT having driven 15 miles home it seems to be sorted. No noise like before. Instead of avoiding the pots I've driven into/over them all!

They said they had ordered in new shock absorbers as well but didn't need them. They also said the front were fine....I had told them to check the front. They were sure the top mounts for the front were different when I asked. If not I might be slightly concerned but I don't have any noise from front and no steerng clunks at all. Are they the same?? Anyone know?

So far so good. Lloyd Colne have done well anyway. I did mention the wind noise from drivers door which they said was down to the wing mirrors buffering the air outside. Well whatever was causing it I asked them to raise an issue with BMW because I never had it on my E90. It's only a minor issue but surely shouldn't be happening.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #95
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

That's good news. Thanks for posting that Shaun.

Now are the top mounts the same for passive and adaptive suspension?

Where's Highland Pete when you need him? He'd know!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #96
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
That's good news. Thanks for posting that Shaun.

Now are the top mounts the same for passive and adaptive suspension?

Where's Highland Pete when you need him? He'd know!
Should be.......adaptive is a standard shock absorber with an additional solenoid controlled circuit at the bottom.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #97
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Good stuff. Cheers NISFAN.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 04:25 AM   #98
Shaunguitar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just a quick update chaps......the problem does seem sorted by replacement of the top mounts. The noise I was getting from the rear has gone. That said I do still think the car is a little noisy when going over bumps and pots......like the seat backs were down.....but they're not (in mine they're fixed anyway) I have read other posts on this issue and talk of adding soundproofing. Don't think I'll bother as in part I think this is my paranoia/imagination! No one else can hear anything unusual.

I know my dealer (lloyd, Colne) had said they'd got top mounts and shock absorbers ordered in before they got my car so they were there ready to fit. I suppose part of me wishes they'd replaced the shockers too seeing as they had them......but Hopefully faulty top mounts isn't indicative of the shockers possibly being faulty too.......are they totally separate parts?

I'm no techno as you can tell.

Shaun
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #99
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Good to hear it worked for you. Mine has gone in today and assuming we'll be having sprog#3 any moment I won't need the car and have told Sytner to hang on to it. I also mentioned top mounts. I also brought up the steering issues mentioned in the other thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #100
Shaunguitar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes it'll be interesting to see what they find/do on yours. Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #101
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunguitar View Post
I have a 328i M Sport with normal suspension and was getting a thud/bang noise from the rear nearside whenever I went over a pothole/bump. After Lloyd Colne sent a PUMA case off they had the car for 2 days. When I dropped it off they said they 'had an idea' that it might be a suspension issue.

Just picked it up. They have replaced the rear shock absorber top mounts. That doesn't mean much to me BUT having driven 15 miles home it seems to be sorted. No noise like before. Instead of avoiding the pots I've driven into/over them all!

They said they had ordered in new shock absorbers as well but didn't need them. They also said the front were fine....I had told them to check the front. They were sure the top mounts for the front were different when I asked. If not I might be slightly concerned but I don't have any noise from front and no steerng clunks at all. Are they the same?? Anyone know?

So far so good. Lloyd Colne have done well anyway. I did mention the wind noise from drivers door which they said was down to the wing mirrors buffering the air outside. Well whatever was causing it I asked them to raise an issue with BMW because I never had it on my E90. It's only a minor issue but surely shouldn't be happening.
Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the update. That's really great news! Top mounts makes sense and I know others (including Highland Pete) have suggested this could be the problem. Certainly the sound I hear would fit well with loose loose top mounts.

So this cheers me up a lot, as it looks like a few dealers know what the problem is and how to crack it. I'll call my dealer tomorrow and suggest they talk to your dealer.

Cheers
Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #102
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good to hear it worked for you. Mine has gone in today and assuming we'll be having sprog#3 any moment I won't need the car and have told Sytner to hang on to it. I also mentioned top mounts. I also brought up the steering issues mentioned in the other thread.
Good luck on both fronts ...!

Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 02:38 AM   #103
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers Dave.

And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
I'll call my dealer tomorrow and suggest they talk to your dealer.
...good luck with that!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #104
Shaunguitar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the update. That's really great news! Top mounts makes sense and I know others (including Highland Pete) have suggested this could be the problem. Certainly the sound I hear would fit well with loose loose top mounts.

So this cheers me up a lot, as it looks like a few dealers know what the problem is and how to crack it. I'll call my dealer tomorrow and suggest they talk to your dealer.

Cheers
Dave
Dave - Craig Allen at Lloyd (Colne) service desk is the lad I dealt with. Seemed on the ball.

Shaun
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #105
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Great stuff - thanks Shaun. I was travelling all day today, so didn't call my dealer. Got much more time tomorrow, so will see if I can persuade them to talk to your guys ...

Cheers
Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #106
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Just had a message left for me by the dealer that they've raised a PUMA case and been in touch with BMW or whatever they bloody well do. Not sure if this is to do with the steering or the suspension or both. Apparently they asked BMW for 'support' which doesn't sound too good.

We'll see. Service manager is back in tomorrow and he's a good bloke.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #107
Shaunguitar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Just had a message left for me by the dealer that they've raised a PUMA case and been in touch with BMW or whatever they bloody well do. Not sure if this is to do with the steering or the suspension or both. Apparently they asked BMW for 'support' which doesn't sound too good.

We'll see. Service manager is back in tomorrow and he's a good bloke.

They did that with my situation.....i think it's a control measure to stop dealers replacing all and sundry 'just in case' and claiming it from BMW under warranty work. BMW will ask them to check things in stages.....cheapest first of course!

They'll sort it though I'm sure.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #108
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers Shaun. And I suppose they wouldn't contact BMW if they didn't think something was up.

The thing is that I know how this works. I've mentioned it before but 18 months in an E91 and spending a year of that time backwards and forwards to the dealer with the same problems. Me identifying a fault, dealer says there isn't one, repeat, repeat, repeat. It's pretty soul destroying. Doubly frustrating when a fix is suggested by E90Post forum members and it takes a year for BMW to reach the same conclusion.

My experience with the E91 is precisely why I haven't really pushed this up until now. Sytner Sheffield are a good bunch on the whole though so I guess I have to stay positive.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #109
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Interesting news. Mine's a standard suspension setup and I have 'the clonk' from the front offside (plus I have the slight knocking from the steering when at rest). Also get noise from the rear but think that's just the natural resonance from the boot and lack of acoustic dampening.

Car has to go back for the rusty seat base issue, so will ask them to check top mounts at the same time.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #110
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

I'll keep you posted on mine Rob.
Appreciate 0