F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 335 Catless DP, stock exhaust, with exhaust cutout help
ARMA SPEED

03-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
WajahatM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW F30 335i xDrive

F30 335 Catless DP, stock exhaust, with exhaust cutout help

Currently I'm running a VRSF catless DP with a borla ATAK and it sounds great WOT and overall is just makes my car feel like a racecar of sorts. The problem is that sometimes it can get really annoying, especially on cold days where the exhaust sounds like its buzzing and really unrefined. Not only that, but after the break in period for the DP the car has been droning a lot more and its really not fun on highway drives; I usually take the car on long trips with my friends so I'd like to keep it comfortable.

I thought about running a vibrant resonator midpipe in the place of the borla mid pipe, which has a small resonator already, as an upgrade. I feel like it won't really refine the exhaust as I would like, nor would it satisfy my volume needs. I don't want to go valved exhaust because they tend to be really expensive and I'm just a student.

So what I wanted to ask: I was thinking of putting the stock exhaust back on (currently no resonator but it can be welded back in if need be), run it with Catless DP and an exhaust cutout. Gives me a comfortable drive when I want it while also being super aggressive. I'd also pick up BMS tips to spice it up a little. Presumably I'd place the cutout right before the muffler. Any suggestions on cutouts. Also any opinions/suggestions about how to proceed with this?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
Buse
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I was thinking of taking a similar route and found this thread that might help: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=952596

Ended up going a completely different route though (remus axle back with DP to come later)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #3
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I'm currently running the VRSF catless DP with muffler delete and two Vibrant resonators and IT IS LOUD!! I'm curious to see how this turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buse View Post
I was thinking of taking a similar route and found this thread that might help: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=952596

Ended up going a completely different route though (remus axle back with DP to come later)

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

You need a resonator in there somewhere or it will drone with catless. Race Catted downpipes will help as well if you switch out to those.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #5
WajahatM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yeah I saw this thread a while back which sparked the idea. Also thought about trading the borla for a remus because of the valve. Decided I love the absurdly loud part of the exhaust too much at WOT and the idea of a daily driver transforming with the push of a button

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I'm currently running the VRSF catless DP with muffler delete and two Vibrant resonators and IT IS LOUD!! I'm curious to see how this turns out.
I'll keep this updated as I go along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
You need a resonator in there somewhere or it will drone with catless. Race Catted downpipes will help as well if you switch out to those.

Mike
Alright, looks like the stock resonator is gonna go back on and hopefully that would make it no drone. Aside from that, are there any cutouts that are super reliable and are high quality?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #6
Buse
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WajahatM View Post
Yeah I saw this thread a while back which sparked the idea. Also thought about trading the borla for a remus because of the valve. Decided I love the absurdly loud part of the exhaust too much at WOT and the idea of a daily driver transforming with the push of a button

I'll keep this updated as I go along

Alright, looks like the stock resonator is gonna go back on and hopefully that would make it no drone. Aside from that, are there any cutouts that are super reliable and are high quality?

From the research I did the best route is defintely a gated-valve vs, a butterfly (like the one that comes on the F30 stock exhaust) as far as reliability goes. The hardest part is getting a consistent seal over the long run. You don't want it sounding like you have an exahsut leak after a month or two of use.

My plan was to weld-in a Y-pipe with a flange on the end of it without the valve. That way I could test the sound and if I didn't like it I could close up the outlet and move on. Low-cost entry investment too with the flange only being about 50 bucks.

A piece of advice would be to make any cockpit modifications very noninvasive so that if it does fail one day or if you're unhappy with it and want to go a different route, you're not left with some switch in the middle of your center console that does nothing.

This summit racing kit has some good reviews and would make the valve easily replaced if ever did fail.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #7
WajahatM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From the research I did the best route is defintely a gated-valve vs, a butterfly (like the one that comes on the F30 stock exhaust) as far as reliability goes. The hardest part is getting a consistent seal over the long run. You don't want it sounding like you have an exahsut leak after a month or two of use.

My plan was to weld-in a Y-pipe with a flange on the end of it without the valve. That way I could test the sound and if I didn't like it I could close up the outlet and move on. Low-cost entry investment too with the flange only being about 50 bucks.

A piece of advice would be to make any cockpit modifications very noninvasive so that if it does fail one day or if you're unhappy with it and want to go a different route, you're not left with some switch in the middle of your center console that does nothing.

This summit racing kit has some good reviews and would make the valve easily replaced if ever did fail.
Alright, thank you very much for this advice. Also I was thinking of getting a remote controlled cutout.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:06 PM   #8
WajahatM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well I got everything I need for this project and went to my local shop for a quote. Only thing I need to know now is how I'm going to wire this up. Is there some sort of access point to the trunk area for the fuse box/cigarette lighter? if there is it would make this so much easier
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #9
WajahatM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah this was a terrible idea, I can't believe I was complaining about the borla exhaust. Cutout is so droney its not even funny, doesn't even sound good, and is not nearly as loud as the borla exhaust. Stock exhaust on this car with catless dp sounds like I'm driving an electric car, too damn quiet, literally no cabin noise.
Appreciate 1
JaredG_F301106.00
      03-29-2018, 06:55 AM   #10
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Are you going to put the Borla back on or sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WajahatM View Post
Yeah this was a terrible idea, I can't believe I was complaining about the borla exhaust. Cutout is so droney its not even funny, doesn't even sound good, and is not nearly as loud as the borla exhaust. Stock exhaust on this car with catless dp sounds like I'm driving an electric car, too damn quiet, literally no cabin noise.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #11
WajahatM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I’m going to put it back on until I get armytrix
Appreciate 0