F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > 2014 320i coding. DO IT!
Extreme Powerhouse

08-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #45
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperformanceworks View Post
I have some bad news for you guys. I ,ve tested SAT mode it actually produces slower 1/4 times, maybe without reflash it might be ok, but I started doing some serious testing (as in racelogic, datalog and gopro filming) high octane with JB4 stage 2 and the car was actually .5 seconds or more slower in this mode.

My idea is that the tune is not capable of keeping boost steady with the quicker shift points and there is actually some weird transmission snap/hesitation that slows the car down quite a bit at high rpms 5500 -6000rpm. This with the reflash on, its kind of like knocking at high rpms. I reverted back to the normal DS capable shifting and the car is faster, smoother shifts and the turbo (JB4 stage 2 enabled) spools nice and smooth at high rpms.

So, If you like quick downshifts and do not care about peak horsepower at high rpms do SAT. If you like a broader stronger smoother power curve that actually is quicker (with reflash) keep stock settings, and just enable sport+ if your 320 did not come with it.

let me know your comments...
The bolded part seems like a contradiction. Are you saying that with SAT coding, the other modes show improvement but that with the added boost of the tune that in SPort + mode, you run into these problems? You are talking about SAT and sport+ like they are different things and after saying you ran into these problems you are saying to still enable sport+ if the car did not come with it. Sorry, I'm confused.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #46
Eagle11
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post

We enabled EBT, SAT, and lots of other coding coolness.

Glad you are enjoying it!
Hey Frogman do you have a list of codes that you can perform?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #47
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
Wait a minute, what are you guys saying? It's worse with SAT? What you describe does not sound good. I mean, what exactly is being said here? That the car is slower overall, or that it hiccups under WOT or what?
Let me clarify my points and maybe he can his. Bottom line up front: It is not slower with SAT.

After coding SAT and doing tests it ran faster in the 1/8 and the 1/4. When tuned, you spool quicker and get to the higher RPMs quicker. Now when the car is stock, the higher RPMs (where the car is gutless given less HP than torque) the loss of power is not noticed as much. When tuned, you notice that power drop off significantly more. In addition, since the Turbo is spooling quicker, and the SAT wants to throw you into a lower gear when you put the pedal to the floor you shift into the 5600-6900k rpm range where the car loses all "GO" power, OR if you gun it with the pedal to the floor from a stop, the SAT conducts the shifts at 6800 RPM, which would be ok if you were pushing higher hp numbers like the 335, however, on a lower horsepower car, albiet tuned, the rev range will stay in those higher rpms post shifts and you could be slower, despite the quicker shifts, than the "nonSAT" setting where it would shift slightly earlier, but slower. (THIS IS ALL IN AUTO NOT MANUAL MODE)

Now if you put a pedal stop for the push down button, or control your pedal position so that you arent flooring it, then the SAT shows its greatness with a tune. (AGAIN ASSUMING NOT GOING INTO MANUAL MODE). The shifts will be in the 5600-6000k rpm range and you will stay in the power band the whole run. Basically on my car, on stage 2 tuned 320i, pedal control makes the car faster (in the 1/8 and 1/4) than just putting the pedal to the ground, why because better throttle response and much much quicker shifts into the right power band.

However, if you put it manual mode, and understand how these turbo BMWs work (basically coming to grips that going to redline is stupid and pointless bc power is lost at around 5900 rpm) and do the proper shifts at the proper RPM you will see a noticeable difference in shift times, and track times, not to mention your butt dyno will be very happy.

Again to date best mod ive done other than the tune. HOWEVER, I will say I agree with the other poster in that the car does seem to lose its umph on sport mode if you completely floor to hit the downshift button, and when im driving mindlessly and floor it (and not control the pedal like i usually do) it does catch me by surprise and frustrate me how it just seems to lose all its guts.

Hope this helps clarify things
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #48
mscalissi
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i GP

LC on F30 320i

Guys,
I add the SAT on my car but in EGS I didn't find the LC to activate the Launch Control, anyone know how?
My car doesn't have the Paddles and I assumed that only with this option we can activate LC on EGS...
I'm not sure too if I-Step need to be update to allow this option on EGS, I just saw options to activate the Paddles and not the LC.
Anyone can help me?
It would be great have this on my car...
Tks
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #49
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
Hey Frogman do you have a list of codes that you can perform?
There are lots coding sheets out there, but here's mine:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf F30 Coding Sheet rev 1.14.pdf (37.7 KB, 512 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #50
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscalissi View Post
Guys,
I add the SAT on my car but in EGS I didn't find the LC to activate the Launch Control, anyone know how?
My car doesn't have the Paddles and I assumed that only with this option we can activate LC on EGS...
I'm not sure too if I-Step need to be update to allow this option on EGS, I just saw options to activate the Paddles and not the LC.
Anyone can help me?
It would be great have this on my car...
Tks
If your EGS /3000 section does not have a LC variable, then your software level is too old.

You need an I-Step of at least F020-13-07-501 for it to be there and work.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:53 AM   #51
Eagle11
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

Quote:
There are lots coding sheets out there, but here's mine:
Thank you, I'll be in touch soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #52
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

SO! Just got back from this coding session and I honestly feel like I'm driving a new car. So impressed. Tom aka Frogman did the coding for me and this guy had Jedi level coding/computer skills. Had a whole list of things I could do. I had the following done:

1. Streaming bluetooth audio. Bout godamn time! Works seamlessly and sounds great. Coded enhanced bluetooth streaming and the sound quality is good. Set it up too where I can pair 2 phones at the same time, go back and forth, etc.

2. BMW Office - this is great. Allows me to read emails, text messages, etc. Nice feature

3. Sport AT. Possibly the best 'mod' ever. Transforms the car. It's almost like the stock AT programming wasn't holding up with the stage 1 tuning and power increase.. Left it in comfort much of the time because sport mode was always kind of awkward except at high speeds. The Sport+ setting is added now and disables traction control, enables launch control (if you are 17 and like ruining transmissions), remaps shift points and logic and shifts even faster than stock. Near-twin clutch times with the smoothness of the AT. Makes manual mode more responsive, downshifts more aggressive and increases throttle sensitivity and makes steering heavier. It was the missing link with the car. Straight line acceleration has to be quicker now - so aggressive. All in all the Sport AT coding made all the modes better w/no more awkward hanging on a shift or gear confusion. WOW.

4. Misc. goodies - remote window roll up/down, cornering lights enabled, rear flashing brake lighting enabled under hard braking, increased 1 touch turn signal blinks from 3 to 5, auto stop start remember last setting, AC climate control remember last setting, voice activation for calling etc. enabled, and one of the coolest things: detailed real-time TPMS read out showing PSI and temp of each individual tire.

HUGE Thanks to Tom/ 'Frogman' for hooking this up. Amazing! I recommend to anyone to get this done. Amazing how easy it is to unlock the car's potential without having to spend $15k in options if you don't want. Anyone with regular 8AT on these cars HAS to get Sport AT enabled. Transforms the car.

Such a scam though when you realize that so much of this exists already and is just a code or something that needs to be turned on or off. So BMW sends the car equipped with all this potential from factory and then makes people think they need to pay thousands in options to get these things... Genius! Good thing there are guys like this out there, resources like this so you can customize the car to your specific needs and get some features that should have been standard (like bluetooth audio!)

Oh well, I'm all set now. With this new Sport+ setting, I don't even need stage 2 anymore. Really makes the most of the added power now.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #53
mperformanceworks
Rep
Drives: f30 320 sport

Do you have stage 2? Are saying that SAT is enough to give you the same acceleration with stage 1 or stock than with stage 2? You do realize that stage 2 is a huge jump in power in a 320? I doubt that just quick shifting is going to match stage 2. Like I mentioned before SAT is not compatible with the tune. Maybe Im the only one that tested this but I did a lot of testing.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #54
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you have stage 2? Are saying that SAT is enough to give you the same acceleration with stage 1 or stock than with stage 2? You do realize that stage 2 is a huge jump in power in a 320? I doubt that just quick shifting is going to match stage 2. Like I mentioned before SAT is not compatible with the tune. Maybe Im the only one that tested this but I did a lot of testing.
No, I have stage 1. What I was saying is that before the Sport AT coding I didn't feel like the stock AT programming/mapping could keep up with the added power of stage 1. It wasn't aggressive enough or quick enough to fully deliver. Now with Sport+, the car feels faster, acceleration is smoother, shifts are quicker etc. and it really keeps it in the meat of the powerband so Stage 1 has come alive, making me less eager to get stage 2. I realize stage 2 is a huge bump in power.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #55
mperformanceworks
Rep

I agree with you then...great review!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 12:53 AM   #56
F30 Epal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Wow! Anyone in the Bay Area who wants to code my car? lol
      08-14-2014, 05:00 AM   #57
notebookboy
Rep
Drives: F30

Arrow

Dear Frogman,

Do you know if E89 Z4 20i could code the SAT too? It has sport+ already but shifting time is not satisfied.

Quote:
Yes, it's the same on all F3x frames:

ECU: HU_ENTRY, or HU_CIC, or HU_NBT / 3001 EXBOX / RDC_SAFETY to aktiv.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #58
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by notebookboy View Post
Dear Frogman,

Do you know if E89 Z4 20i could code the SAT too? It has sport+ already but shifting time is not satisfied.
I have no idea. Was SAT available on your car as an option?

On F30's, SAT consists of 3 things: Shift paddles, a different shifter, and different ECU coding. That's why it's fairly reasonably priced at $500.

Enabling SAT on F30's is simply changing the vehicle option list to say the car has SAT and then initializing the transmission ECU (and 2 others) to the modified option list.

I don't know if there is an equivalent feature when coding via NCSExpert or even if your car would respond to it.

F30's have the new (and incredible) ZF8 transmission; I don't know if other transmissions are programmable like the ZF8 is.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #59
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320
Quote:
No, I have stage 1. What I was saying is that before the Sport AT coding I didn't feel like the stock AT programming/mapping could keep up with the added power of stage 1. It wasn't aggressive enough or quick enough to fully deliver. Now with Sport+, the car feels faster, acceleration is smoother, shifts are quicker etc. and it really keeps it in the meat of the powerband so Stage 1 has come alive, making me less eager to get stage 2. I realize stage 2 is a huge bump in power.
I also did a lot of testing and stage 2 is a significant bump than stage 1 especially with SAT (just if you know not to hit kickdown switch and shift at right RPM).

Congrats on the coding. Told you it makes a huge difference and I'm glad you are enjoying it. But trust me when you throw on the stage 2 you will be blown away. Especially with e85.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #60
stealth-twntrbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 740xi

I have 328 M-Sport non sport transmission.

I do have the sport+ mode however would doing sat programming make the car shift faster? Or is this only for cars without sport +?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #61
mperformanceworks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
I also did a lot of testing and stage 2 is a significant bump than stage 1 especially with SAT (just if you know not to hit kickdown switch and shift at right RPM).

Congrats on the coding. Told you it makes a huge difference and I'm glad you are enjoying it. But trust me when you throw on the stage 2 you will be blown away. Especially with e85.
I have a couple question for you Thescout, just to make sure Im not going crazy on my tests.

Note the following:For straight line acceleration (1/4 mile times).

Do you agree with me that using the auto transmission to shift by itself is faster than manual?

another question,
have you tested those times with SAT running auto mode and manual mode to see if there is a difference?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #62
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperformanceworks
Quote:

I have a couple question for you Thescout, just to make sure Im not going crazy on my tests.

Note the following:For straight line acceleration (1/4 mile times).

Do you agree with me that using the auto transmission to shift by itself is faster than manual?

another question,
have you tested those times with SAT running auto mode and manual mode to see if there is a difference?
No, shifting manual is faster for me than leaving it on auto.

Tests I have run:

With SAT, just flooring it (passed the kick down switch) and shifting at redline (auto, and even manual for that matter) is slower than non-SAT with my tune. However when I floor it (just shy of kickdown switch) on auto it's faster than non-SAT. When I floor it on manual( just shy of kickdown switch) and shift at 5800ish (give or take 200 rpm) it's faster than non-SAT, AND running auto WITH SAT.

Hope this helps clarify.

However I rarely like to go in straight lines fast from a stop, so I love the 40-120 mph feeling and the acceleration on a track, therefore SAT works perfect for my type of driving.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused haha
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #63
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Maybe this was covered already but do you guys know for sure that SAT doesn't include any additional hardware changes to the tranny (such as cooling). Just want to make sure I won't reduce the longevity of my tranny by coding SAT...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #64
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB_123_99 View Post
Maybe this was covered already but do you guys know for sure that SAT doesn't include any additional hardware changes to the tranny (such as cooling). Just want to make sure I won't reduce the longevity of my tranny by coding SAT...
No. It's just a change in shift mapping and speed of gear changes. So many variables effect the longevity of your transmission and unless you plan on keeping the car for 150k miles (plenty say they will, few actually do), I wouldn't sweat it

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #65
mperformanceworks
Rep

Quote:
No, shifting manual is faster for me than leaving it on auto.

Tests I have run:

With SAT, just flooring it (passed the kick down switch) and shifting at redline (auto, and even manual for that matter) is slower than non-SAT with my tune. However when I floor it (just shy of kickdown switch) on auto it's faster than non-SAT. When I floor it on manual( just shy of kickdown switch) and shift at 5800ish (give or take 200 rpm) it's faster than non-SAT, AND running auto WITH SAT.

Hope this helps clarify.

However I rarely like to go in straight lines fast from a stop, so I love the 40-120 mph feeling and the acceleration on a track, therefore SAT works perfect for my type of driving.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused haha
yes it does clarify. From what I gather you have managed a way to manually avoid the spikes/bogs and problems I noticed at top rpm. I use the car full auto as I have tested that the auto shift is more consistant than manual mode when doing straight line acceleration. SAT shifting in auto mode is definitely quicker than non SAT. I too would recommend this mod to all the stock 320s f30 out there. I own one, cant say about the 328. If you tune it with a JB stay away from the SAT programming unless driving it in manual mode as shown by TheScout.

now the next big question would be a SAT tuned stage 2 JB equiped F30 will be quicker than a stock coded transmission stage 2 JB equiped F30? using any mode available to race.

I tested 1/4 mile times with a racelogic unit and times were considerably slower than just with the tune I doubt the SAT coded one will be quicker.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #66
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
one of the coolest things: detailed real-time TPMS read out showing PSI and temp of each individual tire.

Another question, I've read that doing the above to get TPMS details requires navigation, but in your photo I can see you have the basic iDrive. I have a '12 without nav, I'm wondering if it's possible for me?
Appreciate 0