F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340i finally out of break-in. Two words: God damn!
Extreme Powerhouse

08-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #67
Zangetsu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i Msport Track 6MT

For us bimmer owners being called "douchey", I think it's more about the way we drive...

Anyways I test drove the C450 also. Its nice. Nice interior, better material, panoramic roof is awesome. But the drive wasn't as sporty, transmission was slow, no 6 speed option, engine only sounded ok. I guess the exhaust was nice. But hey I can fix that issue easily! Lastly the cost is way more. Overall a good effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nodge View Post
I feel the same about the MB image, and to me the interior on the C450 personifies it. This may well offend some people, but the best single word I can think of to describe it would be "douchey".

Of course that is something that is said about BMW drivers all the time! All a matter of perspective and personal taste.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #68
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu View Post
For us bimmer owners being called "douchey", I think it's more about the way we drive...

Anyways I test drove the C450 also. Its nice. Nice interior, better material, panoramic roof is awesome. But the drive wasn't as sporty, transmission was slow, no 6 speed option, engine only sounded ok. I guess the exhaust was nice. But hey I can fix that issue easily! Lastly the cost is way more. Overall a good effort.
Guilty, at times at least. And yeah, it's a solid competitor for the 340i and the S4 and I'm glad it's out there. Just not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodhi16 View Post
What's the best way to improve the Xdrive suspension then. I've got adaptive suspension. Change out the springs? Any suggestions
If you want to keep your adaptive suspension you could do Dinan springs and Showckware, gets good reviews on this board. My only problem there is the drop on the Dinan springs for the 340xi is 1" front 1 1/8" rear, which is a little more than I'd like given my lip, and could have the rear sagging visually. On the 335xi though I think the drop is 0.75" all around which sounds perfect to me. I'm considering doing the Dinan setup with less aggressive springs (AC Schnitzer) but I haven't seen anyone running them on the 340xi yet and I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger until I can see what the drop would be like.

KW also have some coilovers which replace the OEM dampers obviously but retain the adaptive functionality. They are called the DDC coilovers but they are expensive, starting at $3.5k.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #69
Zangetsu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Big Nodge

So the X Drive is really high up, stock. 20mm or lets call it 3/4" higher than the rwd m sport (my car). so you'll only be about .25" lower or so with Dinan Springs.

Can you measure your height from the ground to your front lip?
Lets verify stock heights!

Quote:
Guilty, at times at least. And yeah, it's a solid competitor for the 340i and the S4 and I'm glad it's out there. Just not for me.

If you want to keep your adaptive suspension you could do Dinan springs and Showckware, gets good reviews on this board. My only problem there is the drop on the Dinan springs for the 340xi is 1" front 1 1/8" rear, which is a little more than I'd like given my lip, and could have the rear sagging visually. On the 335xi though I think the drop is 0.75" all around which sounds perfect to me. I'm considering doing the Dinan setup with less aggressive springs (AC Schnitzer) but I haven't seen anyone running them on the 340xi yet and I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger until I can see what the drop would be like.

KW also have some coilovers which replace the OEM dampers obviously but retain the adaptive functionality. They are called the DDC coilovers but they are expensive, starting at $3.5k.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #70
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep

I have about 5.75" between the ground and the bottom of the lip. I get what you are saying about it only being a little lower than RWD sport height, but I've got to imagine they measure the drop on the xDrive springs from the xDrive ride height. I don't know if I want to loose a full inch.

My bigger issue with the Dinan springs might be that the rear drops about 1/8" more. My rear wheel gap is already a little narrower than the front so I think it might look kind of funny.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #71
Zangetsu
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm wondering if that makes your car more balanced... exactly 50:50 vs 52.5:47.5
I need to remeasure my car I thought it was at 6", but maybe it was 5".

On another note, supposedly E90's 335i CG is about 1" lower than the F30's!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:10 AM   #72
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_Cai
Wonder if it's faster than the C450 AMG.
Probably is
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 05:40 AM   #73
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Which tires do you have? Mine has the Bridgestone Potenza S001's on 19" rims and I have the same issue. I think it's a issue with soft sidewalls on the tire vs the suspension though. It doesn't feel like lean, it feels like side slip with the sidewall rolling under.
I have the non-rft MPSS with the track handling package. About the best street tires you can get so I don't think it's the tires. Feels like body roll to me. One of the 340xi reviews has a video of the car taking a slalom course and you can see it leaning pretty hard. YMMV, sway bars are a must for me on this car.

Still really enjoy the way it handles stock btw, just think it can be improved. Then again I pretty much always do suspension mods on my cars, part of the fun of the hobby for me.
im planning on going with kw v2.... what options have you looked into??
      08-12-2016, 07:35 AM   #74
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm wondering if that makes your car more balanced... exactly 50:50 vs 52.5:47.5
I need to remeasure my car I thought it was at 6", but maybe it was 5".

On another note, supposedly E90's 335i CG is about 1" lower than the F30's!
I'm not sure if just comparing the ground clearance of an xDrive vs. a RWD 340i gives us much info on which is better balanced. But FYI my car has the M Performance front lip, that's why I'm particularly concerned about ground clearance. Without the lip I wouldn't worry about a 1" drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdals0213 View Post
im planning on going with kw v2.... what options have you looked into??
I'm going to do the Dinan xDrive sway bars for sure. Beyond that I mentioned a bunch of the options I'm looking into above, considering them all now. V2s are a nice choice, but you loose the adaptive features which I'd prefer to keep. But I've thought about static coils as well, either KW V1s/V2s, or maybe the KW Street Comfort coils as I would be able to dial-in a less aggressive drop.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #75
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

08-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #76
Zangetsu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry. 2 different thoughts.
I have the lip also... ground clearance measurement is just that. RWD is lower than the XDrive version. So if my car really is 20mm lower, the lip should be 20mm lower.

Balance is the second topic. Dinan lowered the back slightly more for balance. But without confirming with Dinan engineers it's just a theory.
Ideally you want to be right at 50:50. But street driving it really doesn't matter as much! haha

Quote:
I'm not sure if just comparing the ground clearance of an xDrive vs. a RWD 340i gives us much info on which is better balanced. But FYI my car has the M Performance front lip, that's why I'm particularly concerned about ground clearance. Without the lip I wouldn't worry about a 1" drop.

I'm going to do the Dinan xDrive sway bars for sure. Beyond that I mentioned a bunch of the options I'm looking into above, considering them all now. V2s are a nice choice, but you loose the adaptive features which I'd prefer to keep. But I've thought about static coils as well, either KW V1s/V2s, or maybe the KW Street Comfort coils as I would be able to dial-in a less aggressive drop.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:30 AM   #77
Bueller178
Rep
Drives: 1999 F150

Quote:

I love how the exhaust pops on overrun in the C450.

I think the BMW has a more sporty drive and better trans but the interior (Aside from the IPAD....) is nicer on the Merc.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #78
Zangetsu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah I agree. The interior is nicer on the benz. The material used is nicer. Although the Bimmer seats I like a lot more, because there's more adjustments. The bimmer user interface on the idrive is better too. probably the best out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller178 View Post
I love how the exhaust pops on overrun in the C450.

I think the BMW has a more sporty drive and better trans but the interior (Aside from the IPAD....) is nicer on the Merc.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:49 AM   #79
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE YOUNG View Post
haha fair point! Here's how it looks now, some delivery pics in the link.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=19915126
Appreciate 1
JOE YOUNG122.50
      08-12-2016, 09:54 AM   #80
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry. 2 different thoughts.
I have the lip also... ground clearance measurement is just that. RWD is lower than the XDrive version. So if my car really is 20mm lower, the lip should be 20mm lower.

Balance is the second topic. Dinan lowered the back slightly more for balance. But without confirming with Dinan engineers it's just a theory.
Ideally you want to be right at 50:50. But street driving it really doesn't matter as much! haha
Nice, can't be too many 340is with M Performance lip in NH. What color is yours?

I am not sure if this was some grand plan by Dinan or if that's how it just worked out.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #81
Zangetsu
Enlisted Member
Rep

I call grand plan. They do think about their designs. They stick to their design philosophy... Function over form.

Mine's silver, black interior. Looks like yours besides the interior.
Appreciate 0