F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > What about a modern day baby M?
proTUNING Freaks

11-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
BMW-RaceR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mini Cooper S, 74 Beetle

What about a modern day baby M?

Looking back in time at the early 90`s. BMW had what some considered to be a mini M car. Or baby M car. Or poor mans M-car. E30 318IS.
Specs:
138hp and 1180kg (2602lb) combined with a sporty chassis and LSD.

There have been several sporty models since (various IS, Si etc) , but in most cases, heavier and typically less "pure" sport cars (/sport sedans/coupes)

I realize that the M235I is the closest thing we get to a mini m-car today. And that modern day cars will be a bit larger and heavier compared to early 90`s cars. But at the same time. That car is not what I consider to be a spiritual successor due to its weight and power.

Fact is, BMW have never had more models to choose from. There have never been more M cars and M-inspired cars. But where is the modern day baby M?

BMW have a 2-series. They have a proper LSD for the 2 series. They have small lightweight engines. 1.5L 3-cylinder turbo engines producing from 136 to over 200hp.
It seems like BMW already have most parts to make sporty lightweight model if they just put the right parts together and tweaked and tuned them to suit a lightweight sporty car.

How bad would a M220IS be? Or just 220IS?
1,5L turbo with 180-200hp, 1320kg, LSD, sport suspension, brakes, seats exhaust etc. How hard and costly could it be for BMW to make something like that?
The recipe could be used on both the 1-series and 3-series in order to try and maximize sales in certain regions.

In countries where factors like displacement, CO2, HP, weight etc, equals high car taxes, a sporty car like that could become quite attractive.
It may not be the most popular car in the US, but im sure some would appreciate it for its lower weight, sportiness, and "adequate" power with good fuel economy. Put some "eco" tires on it like the GT86 and some sound trickery from the I8. I believe the media and many car enthusiasts would be all over it if it handled well and felt light and nimble.

And while Im at it. What about an M220I CSL?

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-RaceR View Post
Looking back in time at the early 90`s. BMW had what some considered to be a mini M car. Or baby M car. Or poor mans M-car. E30 318IS.
Specs:
138hp and 1180kg (2602lb) combined with a sporty chassis and LSD.

There have been several sporty models since (various IS, Si etc) , but in most cases, heavier and typically less "pure" sport cars (/sport sedans/coupes)

I realize that the M235I is the closest thing we get to a mini m-car today. And that modern day cars will be a bit larger and heavier compared to early 90`s cars. But at the same time. That car is not what I consider to be a spiritual successor due to its weight and power.

Fact is, BMW have never had more models to choose from. There have never been more M cars and M-inspired cars. But where is the modern day baby M?

BMW have a 2-series. They have a proper LSD for the 2 series. They have small lightweight engines. 1.5L 3-cylinder turbo engines producing from 136 to over 200hp.
It seems like BMW already have most parts to make sporty lightweight model if they just put the right parts together and tweaked and tuned them to suit a lightweight sporty car.

How bad would a M220IS be? Or just 220IS?
1,5L turbo with 180-200hp, 1320kg, LSD, sport suspension, brakes, seats exhaust etc. How hard and costly could it be for BMW to make something like that?
The recipe could be used on both the 1-series and 3-series in order to try and maximize sales in certain regions.

In countries where factors like displacement, CO2, HP, weight etc, equals high car taxes, a sporty car like that could become quite attractive.
It may not be the most popular car in the US, but im sure some would appreciate it for its lower weight, sportiness, and "adequate" power with good fuel economy. Put some "eco" tires on it like the GT86 and some sound trickery from the I8. I believe the media and many car enthusiasts would be all over it if it handled well and felt light and nimble.

And while Im at it. What about an M220I CSL?

What do you think?
Why not just get the GT86? If that is too little, the next step is BMW or some U.S. car, and then Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
BMW-RaceR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mini Cooper S, 74 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Why not just get the GT86? If that is too little, the next step is BMW or some U.S. car, and then Porsche.
GT86. No proper back seats and not that practical. Im not a huge fan of the engine (lack of torque and torque/power dip). Especially not considering the price here. Feels like a much cheaper car compared to a BMW too (despite that its the same price as a 220I with M-package). Ideally Id like GT86 handling in a better all round package (aka BMW ).

Next step is a BMW? Problem with all modern day BMW`s is that all the low powered models are not that sporty and engaging. You really need to get an M235I with the aftermarket LSD or proper M car in order to get a sporty drivetrain. E-diff and "low" turbo HP does not give the most exiting driving dynamics unless you are driving on snow.

U.S car?? Sporty, lightweight, and does not trigger a ton of engine taxes? Sounds like mission impossible.

Porsche. Same issues as a GT86. Not that practical. (And too expensive.)

220I with aftermarket LSD might be the best BMW option. But I have not seen a quaife LSD for it yet, and then there are potential "issues" with the electronic system (E-diff/driving modes) that may result in not getting the best out of an aftermarket diff and the car.
It would be nice if BMW just made a proper good and sporty car from the factory. Back in the E30 and E36 days you could turn off traction control (if the car had it) and enjoy the driving dynamics of a well balanced sporty car with a factory LSD.

Id just like M3 handling/dynamics in a more lightweight, less powerful and cheaper package. I like to think that there are still many people who enjoyed the 318IS-328I models in that past who today would appreciate sporty driving dynamics and be happy with similar levels of power today. But despite all the M cars, all M inspired cars, and all the added BMW models and variations of them, no such car no longer exist in the lineup.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
olinjohnston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i & 1994 840Ci

A proper M2 should be on its way...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-RaceR View Post
GT86. No proper back seats and not that practical. Im not a huge fan of the engine (lack of torque and torque/power dip). Especially not considering the price here. Feels like a much cheaper car compared to a BMW too (despite that its the same price as a 220I with M-package). Ideally Id like GT86 handling in a better all round package (aka BMW ).

Next step is a BMW? Problem with all modern day BMW`s is that all the low powered models are not that sporty and engaging. You really need to get an M235I with the aftermarket LSD or proper M car in order to get a sporty drivetrain. E-diff and "low" turbo HP does not give the most exiting driving dynamics unless you are driving on snow.

U.S car?? Sporty, lightweight, and does not trigger a ton of engine taxes? Sounds like mission impossible.

Porsche. Same issues as a GT86. Not that practical. (And too expensive.)

220I with aftermarket LSD might be the best BMW option. But I have not seen a quaife LSD for it yet, and then there are potential "issues" with the electronic system (E-diff/driving modes) that may result in not getting the best out of an aftermarket diff and the car.
It would be nice if BMW just made a proper good and sporty car from the factory. Back in the E30 and E36 days you could turn off traction control (if the car had it) and enjoy the driving dynamics of a well balanced sporty car with a factory LSD.

Id just like M3 handling/dynamics in a more lightweight, less powerful and cheaper package. I like to think that there are still many people who enjoyed the 318IS-328I models in that past who today would appreciate sporty driving dynamics and be happy with similar levels of power today. But despite all the M cars, all M inspired cars, and all the added BMW models and variations of them, no such car no longer exist in the lineup.
Maybe new Nissan Silvia as 2+2, RWD, LSD with Turbo 1.6 I4 +200 PS. But that is only a dream, so 228i or M2 is the car, and there won't be anything else, ever, maybe from Alfa still, but depends on financials.
Appreciate 0