F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Comfort Access and 2 key fobs question
GetBMWParts

09-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
ERdiesel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

Comfort Access and 2 key fobs question

I will be taking delivery of my new F30 with comfort access within the next week or two and had a question regarding how comfort access would work with 2 separate key fobs. My wife and I will both be sharing the car so we will each have a key fob and I wanted to ask a few questions as to how comfort access would work/behave if we both approached the car and we both had our key fobs with us. As I understand it, each key fob would have certain user specified settings "attached" to it, i.e. side mirror positions, seat positions, idrive settings, etc. so how would the car know which setting to bring up when we approach the car and enter? i.e mine or my wifes. Will it be smart enough to know I sat down in the driver's seat and therefore bring up my profile versus my wife with her key fob in the passenger seat?

Additionally, is there a notion of a "primary" key fob and a "secondary" key fob or would both key fobs given to use be pretty much identical in functionality and use? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
pazzo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 Glacier Silver

If the driver unlocks with their FOB, than I think you'll be good.

2017 F48 xDrive Glacier Silver
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
ERdiesel
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazzo View Post
If the driver unlocks with their FOB, than I think you'll be good.

I understand if the driver presses the unlock, it would be more "clear cut" as to who's profile the car will bring up. The question is, with comfort access, if both the driver and passenger who both are carry a key fob approach the car and one of them opens the door by touching the handle as opposed to pressing the unlock button on the key fob, will the car be smart enough to recognize the key fob "closest" to the driver side and therefore assume that's the driver and therefore bring up the driver's profile.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

I was carrying around the second fob in my computer bag--not realizing I'd left it in there.

Didn't have a problem for weeks, but one day I got in the car and all the presets and settings were different. Took me a bit to figure out what happened.
      09-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
pazzo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdiesel View Post
I understand if the driver presses the unlock, it would be more "clear cut" as to who's profile the car will bring up. The question is, with comfort access, if both the driver and passenger who both are carry a key fob approach the car and one of them opens the door by touching the handle as opposed to pressing the unlock button on the key fob, will the car be smart enough to recognize the key fob "closest" to the driver side and therefore assume that's the driver and therefore bring up the driver's profile.
Well actually that is not how you asked the question in your original post.

So just use the FOB before the other person can touch the handle,
like from 10' away. And you want to make a game of it and dive for the handle.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
ERdiesel
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well actually that is not how you asked the question in your original post.

So just use the FOB before the other person can touch the handle,
like from 10' away. And you want to make a game of it and dive for the handle.

I see what you mean as in I didn't explicitly state "without touching the unlock button" but with that said, I thought it would be implied when talking about comfort access, that one would keep the fob in the pocket or wherever and would NOT be pressing the unlock button. Hence the question regarding how "smart" the car is in recognizing which fob is activating the car and which one is the driver when you have a use case where two people with a fob enter the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Quote:
I see what you mean as in I didn't explicitly state "without touching the unlock button" but with that said, I thought it would be implied when talking about comfort access, that one would keep the fob in the pocket or wherever and would NOT be pressing the unlock button. Hence the question regarding how "smart" the car is in recognizing which fob is activating the car and which one is the driver when you have a use case where two people with a fob enter the car.
First off put your settings and your wifes settings into the profile
When you get into the car and you use your fob but you wife was the last one in the car using her settings. When the profile comes up on the display check your name and then check ok and all your settings will apply. This will solve your problem of who opens the car when you both have your fobs there. Also back up all your settings on a USB stick
good luck
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
First off put your settings and your wifes settings into the profile
When you get into the car and you use your fob but you wife was the last one in the car using her settings. When the profile comes up on the display check your name and then check ok and all your settings will apply. This will solve your problem of who opens the car when you both have your fobs there. Also back up all your settings on a USB stick
good luck
cheers
vern
I'm not following this, can you try to re-expain? sorry I'm being dense...Just trying to get the rhythm of profiles...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3/15 DA-2

Quote:
I will be taking delivery of my new F30 with comfort access within the next week or two and had a question regarding how comfort access would work with 2 separate key fobs. My wife and I will both be sharing the car so we will each have a key fob and I wanted to ask a few questions as to how comfort access would work/behave if we both approached the car and we both had our key fobs with us. As I understand it, each key fob would have certain user specified settings "attached" to it, i.e. side mirror positions, seat positions, idrive settings, etc. so how would the car know which setting to bring up when we approach the car and enter? i.e mine or my wifes. Will it be smart enough to know I sat down in the driver's seat and therefore bring up my profile versus my wife with her key fob in the passenger seat?

Additionally, is there a notion of a "primary" key fob and a "secondary" key fob or would both key fobs given to use be pretty much identical in functionality and use? Thanks.
There is no concept of "primary" or "secondary" as far as I can tell. Both fobs are equivalent.

It is smart enough to recognize which fob is on the person who unlocks the door (although I don't really know what would happen if your wife was standing right by you with her fob when you did it). It's even smart enough that if she unlocks the passenger door with her fob but you get in the driver's seat with yours it will use your fob.

A couple of things you might want to know:

There is one "gotcha". There is an iDrive setting along the lines of "remember last seat position". It was off by default on my F30, and it's deceptively named. If you don't have it turned on the car doesn't seem to properly associate your fob with your profile. Maybe my dealership should have turned it on but didn't.

Additionally, you should know that profiles are not directly associated with fobs (as in fob 1 is always profile 1) it's more like the car remembers the last profile loaded for a fob. That means the first time your wife uses the car (assuming she doesn't take delivery of it ) you'll need to switch profiles, after that it will remember.

And finally, don't get confused by the seat memory system. It has a memory button and two position buttons that you can save seat configuration to but these have no relation to fobs or profiles, in other words position "one" isn't for one profile while "two" is for another profile. Instead they are actually stored "inside" the profile and thus dependent on who is driving. They exist so that you can do things like temporarily adjust seating for someone to work on or valet the car (although you could use Guest profile for this too) and later recall your preferred seating.

Last edited by JesseS; 09-10-2013 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
pazzo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
There is one "gotcha". There is an iDrive setting along the lines of "remember last seat position". It was off by default on my F30, and it's deceptively named. If you don't have it turned on the car doesn't seem to properly associate your fob with your profile.
I've learned you want to disable this setting in iDrive before you hand your FOB to the dealer, car wash etc.

If they adjust the seat position (THAT NEVER HAPPENS DOES IT? )
and lock the doors with the FOB, your seat setting is lost with the remember last seat position.

Backing up your profile is very helpful, because any maintenance seems to wipe them also.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've learned you want to disable this setting in iDrive before you hand your FOB to the dealer, car wash etc.

If they adjust the seat position (THAT NEVER HAPPENS DOES IT? )
and lock the doors with the FOB, your seat setting is lost with the remember last seat position.

Backing up your profile is very helpful, because any maintenance seems to wipe them also.
I believe that's the purpose of the seat memory system (meaning the "M", "one" and "two" buttons on the outside edge of the driver's seat), so that you can recall a stored seat position after someone screws it up.

But when you take the car in for service you should definitely back up your profiles. If they reflash or upgrade certain ECUs it will almost certainly wipe out some settings.

One problem I've discovered, and this may not happen to anyone else, is that when I restore a profile from USB it wipes out all but two of my shortcut buttons (everything except #1 and #8 gets wiped). Not a huge deal, just mildly annoying.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
I believe that's the purpose of the seat memory system (meaning the "M", "one" and "two" buttons on the outside edge of the driver's seat), so that you can recall a stored seat position after someone screws it up.

But when you take the car in for service you should definitely back up your profiles. If they reflash or upgrade certain ECUs it will almost certainly wipe out some settings.

One problem I've discovered, and this may not happen to anyone else, is that when I restore a profile from USB it wipes out all but two of my shortcut buttons (everything except #1 and #8 gets wiped). Not a huge deal, just mildly annoying.
+1

Just use the M settings on the seat to be sure to save your position. I have one for normal driving and another for auto-x type. They may screw up your last position but unless they actually choose to reset a memory position you should be good to go at the push of a button.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
pazzo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yea agreed, unless they push the buttons to. You know, some people see a button and they just have to push it. Happened to me the last time I was at the dealer.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwm1166 View Post
I'm not following this, can you try to re-expain? sorry I'm being dense...Just trying to get the rhythm of profiles...
I know its a little hard to grasp, I had trouble understanding it also. Check it out in your owners manual,page 31-32, profile management maybe that can help you out. good luck
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yea agreed, unless they push the buttons to. You know, some people see a button and they just have to push it. Happened to me the last time I was at the dealer.
Are you sure it wasn't because they upgraded or reflashed something in the car?

I mean, you have to do more than just "push a button", you have to specifically press "M" (which results in the button lighting up) and then "1" or "2". That doesn't seem very likely unless it was intentional. I suppose whomever worked on your car might have just been a jerk, but that seems less likely than an unintended result of firmware upgrading.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #16
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

just don't carry both keys at the same time - it's annoying..
or it sounds like having the profiles set up ahead of time will make it easy.
      09-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

It recognizes WHERE the fobs are in the car. We do this all the time. It'll grab the profile for the person/fob in the driving position.
Appreciate 0