F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > "Messages" menu gone
Extreme Powerhouse

09-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

"Messages" menu gone

My wife's 2012 F30 (with EBT) no longer displays the "Messages" menu under "Office". She no longer receives any sort of system messages, locations sent from Google maps, etc.

Logging into connected drive on the web no longer shows any details for the car. My wife called BMW Assist, who said her BMW connect account has expired, but to resubscribe she needs a software upgrade.

Does anyone know the details for this? She has what appears to be the latest telephone and media software.

I don't know if it's related, but the status panel on her nav display shows a USB icon followed by "-346". Is that an error code?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

She just called back to BMW assist to see if she could get details about the software update. Now she's being told that this is a hardware issue, and that they have discontinued telematics support for her 2012, and that it would need an upgrade to 4G to continue, and that details of an upgrade were not yet available.

I'm not sure I believe this. Have they orphaned the 2012 F30? Are they talking about upgrading to the LTE radio that comes in the 2016+ models? Or is this something different?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 01:35 AM   #3
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
She just called back to BMW assist to see if she could get details about the software update. Now she's being told that this is a hardware issue, and that they have discontinued telematics support for her 2012, and that it would need an upgrade to 4G to continue, and that details of an upgrade were not yet available.

I'm not sure I believe this. Have they orphaned the 2012 F30? Are they talking about upgrading to the LTE radio that comes in the 2016+ models? Or is this something different?
This has been discussed in other threads.

Non-NBT units are only capable of access via the AT&T 2G GSM/GPRS/EDGE. AT&T used this technology on Band 2 (1900 MHz PCS) and Band 5 (850 MHz CLR). AT&T is repurposing those Frequences for newer LTE Technology. I could not tell you if Non-NBT were capable of both bands or not.

TMobile was/is the only other Nationwide USA Wireless Company that used GSM/GPRS/EDGE technology. They continue to use it on Band 2 but TMobile never used Band 5 (No Licenses).

IF the CIC units operated on Band 2 and IF you had an Electronics Degree, you MIGHT be able to switch the (assumed) built in SIM to A TMobile SIM. Of course you would then need a TMobile Account you would need to pay for TMobile Service Monthly.

Overall, that does not seem to make a lot of sense to attempt, especially if BMW Offers a LTE alternative for sale, as TMobile has only guaranteed they will continue to offer that antique service until 2020.

Likewise, at some point in the future, all pre 2016 Sirius Radios will quit working, but that is years away.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 01:51 AM   #4
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

I was afraid that was the answer.

The rep indicated that there was no upgrade available right now, but that one was planned. Unfortunately, she was pretty vague on the details. Does anyone know the specifics? (short of an NBT retrofit, or a whole-car retrofit.)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
I was afraid that was the answer.

The rep indicated that there was no upgrade available right now, but that one was planned. Unfortunately, she was pretty vague on the details. Does anyone know the specifics? (short of an NBT retrofit, or a whole-car retrofit.)
No one has that info yet.
Appreciate 0