F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > 9h Ceramic Coating
GetBMWParts

01-08-2018, 05:36 AM   #1
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport

9h Ceramic Coating

Hi all,

Recently started seeing ads galore on my Facebook page for this 9h nano ceramic DIY product. Looked up its Amazon page and the reviews were glowing, I decided to take the plunge. Figured I didn't have much to lose for the low cost.

The results are fantastic! Apologies for the poor quality pics, I finished the job with barely any daylight left. These pics really don't do it justice. The paint is now just gleaning, mirror like. Hydrophobic properties are great, water beads and flows right off.

All in all, not bad at all for $50 plus the cost of clay/ipa.
Attached Images

435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |
Appreciate 4
Insane435476.50
kretzu1713.00
      01-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

and I bet...with all the prep work, your arms are sore as hell. LOL
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcspec View Post
and I bet...with all the prep work, your arms are sore as hell. LOL
Oh mate, you know it. 4 hours of work total.

A labour of love though!
435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #4
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Which product did you use specifically and how many coats were you able to apply?

I've been eyeing CQuartz UK as the coating I'll use this spring/summer and they recently released a top coat called GLISS which makes the surface super slick/hydrophobic.
      01-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #5
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
Which product did you use specifically and how many coats were you able to apply?

I've been eyeing CQuartz UK as the coating I'll use this spring/summer and they recently released a top coat called GLISS which makes the surface super slick/hydrophobic.
Here's the one I used:
https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Coati.../dp/B01N7UF4ZD

I applied it quite generously and also coated the front and rear windshields and all windows. So I ended up using the whole bottle on a single coat. Though it's amazing how far that tiny 50ml bottle will go.

I'm planning on purchasing another bottle and doing a second coat as soon as I install my diffuser and front lip.

You may already know this, but make sure you thoroughly wash, clay, and IPA prep the car before you apply the coating. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

Hey Mountain, it's been a couple of months since you coated the your F435. How are the coating held up to the elements?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 06:43 PM   #7
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hey Mountain, it's been a couple of months since you coated the your F435. How are the coating held up to the elements?
Quite well, though it must be said that it's been summer here since I applied the coating. I reckon the true test will be over the winter when it rains all the time here in Melbourne. But then, you really can't go wrong for ~$50.

The car being black still picks up dirt quickly, as expected, but comes off much easier and returns to that gleam which I just didn't have prior to the coating.

I was happy enough to order a second bottle. This time, it got gleamier (see below)...so much so that its hard to get a good picture, too much reflection
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #8
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

Here in Seattle, we're on the opposite seasonal spectrum. It snowed a couple of weeks back and followed up with rain. I wish my S3 was coated because the paint is getting abused. Once the weather warms up a bit, I plan on coating the S3 with 2 coats. It's great to see that yours is still holding up well and most likly, hydrophobically sound!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #9
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Here in Seattle, we're on the opposite seasonal spectrum. It snowed a couple of weeks back and followed up with rain. I wish my S3 was coated because the paint is getting abused. Once the weather warms up a bit, I plan on coating the S3 with 2 coats. It's great to see that yours is still holding up well and most likly, hydrophobically sound!
Good deal mate. Make sure you clay bar thoroughly first, to get rid of all the salt and grime that's no doubt accumulated over the winter/s. You'll see an immediate difference post-claying, and the coating will seal that in.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 07:06 PM   #10
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

I bought my 435i used and it has got a substantial amount of hairline scratches - most likely from car washes.

If I clay the car, would I also have to compound and polish it before applying this coating? Is the process difficult? I've been on the fence and am not sure I trust myself to apply it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #11
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
I bought my 435i used and it has got a substantial amount of hairline scratches - most likely from car washes.

If I clay the car, would I also have to compound and polish it before applying this coating? Is the process difficult? I've been on the fence and am not sure I trust myself to apply it.
Yes, claying won't address scratches from before. You're better off getting a pro to do the whole 9 yards.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #12
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Great job (and effort behind scenes - no doubt). Did you color correct the paint prior to applying the ceramic coating?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #13
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Great job (and effort behind scenes - no doubt). Did you color correct the paint prior to applying the ceramic coating?
Thanks mate. Didn't paint correct, not skilled enough and didn't feel like the car really needed it since it was thankfully mostly free of swirls/scratches.
Appreciate 0