F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > f31 328 - car rocking and loss of power
proTUNING Freaks

12-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
pbklyn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328 SportsWagen

f31 328 - car rocking and loss of power

I had a weird one on my 328 xd, ~3500 miles and 8 months.
Getting ready for the Big trip of the year (12 hours straight) that helped me justify a new car, trunk fully loaded, kids attached, off we go.
At first, I noticed the car was weirdly rocking when stopped (in Drive, on the break at the light, engine running -start/stop disabled).
Then I noticed that the engine was REALLY weak, like super ECO mode but not limping as it was described in other threads. Revs go up but power is just not there. No fan noise, no weird smoke just a very bad feeling the car is on 2 cylinders or less.
This being the beginning of a huge trip, and after not being able to keep up with other cars after the Lincoln Tunnel (NY->NJ), i decided to hit the BMWAssist button because 1/ i have it 2/ I am very annoyed the car diagnostic says nothing. (Seriously???)
Results:
BMW Assist is useless in this case. Maybe useful in a crash but in this situation they could only send me to a garage that could only schedule an apt 4 days later and had no loaner. (I was hoping for a remote diagnostic and/or emergency service at the garage - too much asking maybe?). Also, loaner is at the discretion of the garage.
I took a chance at a red light after leaving the highway to do a stop/start , which fixed the problem.
Trip was good and car is behaving was past 2 days.

Any other had that??? Revs were definitely getting to 4/5k so this is not the limping mode i read about.

Last edited by pbklyn; 12-25-2014 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Haven't heard of that or experienced it yet. We made it through the Lincoln Tunnel unscathed last night, with the Stop/Start turned off. Glad you got it working though...

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

How is your battery? Recently I had to jump start an X1 and it pretty much did the same thing. No warning lights or anything out of the ordinary. I did the same thing as you, cycled the ignition and the car was fine. Had the battery charged and the car is fine now.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
pbklyn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328 SportsWagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef View Post
How is your battery? Recently I had to jump start an X1 and it pretty much did the same thing. No warning lights or anything out of the ordinary. I did the same thing as you, cycled the ignition and the car was fine. Had the battery charged and the car is fine now.
I did not notice anything wrong with electrical thus far.
What's the best way to check the battery (I have limited access to tools.. City life)? The car had its first service one month ago and hope they would notice a bad battery...
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Just needs a load test. I'm not sure if they check the voltage during service. Stop by your dealer and ask them to do one, takes 2min. Also, a key read can also give them battery status. You could have a defective battery from the gate, it happens. Cars sit for a couple of weeks during transport. It may not be the battery at all, just something you can check. Especially living on the east coast with the brutal winters.
Appreciate 0