F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Dealer Blowing Smoke?
GetBMWParts

09-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
Nacho98
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Several

Dealer Blowing Smoke?

Reached out to a dealer for a 328i xDrive quote to order a car today. Sticker was $50,2XX. Quote was about $48,700, which is $2k above invoice. I emailed back and said I'd do invoice, and he said no way but could sell a '15 under invoice, but I'm not interested in a pre-LCI car. I said then that I'd happily wait until spring since I don't need a car.

He then mailed back and said Q4 is when the best deals are as BMW tries to move volume vs clearing out '15s as they are now. I don't doubt they are looking to move volume in Q4, but if I'm going to order a car this month, it wouldn't show up til Oct/Nov anyway, which should be when the deals are best, according to my dealer. I don't know how BMW does it, but I'd assume for a special order I'd lock in a deal now and if the rebates etc got better at time of delivery, I'd get those. Or at the very least I'd assume I'd get rebates/incentives at delivery, so I would think he'd want to make a deal now for an ordered car if what he is saying is true about the best deals being at year end. Is he blowing smoke or am I unreasonable looking for a car at invoice right now even though it won't show up until the snow flies or close to it?p
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

The only way to know is to check other dealers in your area.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Buzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MT 244'80 V70R'07 Golf R'19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho98 View Post
I don't know how BMW does it, but I'd assume for a special order I'd lock in a deal now and if the rebates etc got better at time of delivery, I'd get those. Or at the very least I'd assume I'd get rebates/incentives at delivery, so I would think he'd want to make a deal now for an ordered car if what he is saying is true about the best deals being at year end. Is he blowing smoke or am I unreasonable looking for a car at invoice right now even though it won't show up until the snow flies or close to it?p
I found LCI at invoice a tall order and settled for 1,1K over ED invoice. Delivery in December. On the east coast finance/lease rates can be locked in 60 days prior to final paperwork. Agreed with the dealer that they will pass on future promotions. I don't know of the best deals are end of the year, but it would make sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho98
Reached out to a dealer for a 328i xDrive quote to order a car today. Sticker was $50,2XX. Quote was about $48,700, which is $2k above invoice. I emailed back and said I'd do invoice, and he said no way but could sell a '15 under invoice, but I'm not interested in a pre-LCI car. I said then that I'd happily wait until spring since I don't need a car.

He then mailed back and said Q4 is when the best deals are as BMW tries to move volume vs clearing out '15s as they are now. I don't doubt they are looking to move volume in Q4, but if I'm going to order a car this month, it wouldn't show up til Oct/Nov anyway, which should be when the deals are best, according to my dealer. I don't know how BMW does it, but I'd assume for a special order I'd lock in a deal now and if the rebates etc got better at time of delivery, I'd get those. Or at the very least I'd assume I'd get rebates/incentives at delivery, so I would think he'd want to make a deal now for an ordered car if what he is saying is true about the best deals being at year end. Is he blowing smoke or am I unreasonable looking for a car at invoice right now even though it won't show up until the snow flies or close to it?p
He is most likely saying order during Q4 because up thru December they are trying to clear out 2015 models. Your delivery would happen in Q1 or very late Q4. This timing would be more realistic for the dealer to start pushing volume and gives about 5 months for them to sell 2016 models above invoice at a higher premium (7/15 SOP for 2016 models). Simple economics. Supplies of the LCI 3 series are low still so they will charge more and likely get a taker.

There's a few different ways to rationalize it but your best bet is most likely to email a few dealers
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #5
Emilim
Dust Bunny
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 328i xDrive M Sport

It's probably harder to get great deals on LCI cars now since dealers are still in clearance mode for the 2015s and the new cars are just starting to trickle in. Once the 2015s are mostly gone dealers will start pushing the 2016s out the door more willingly.

Factory order doesn't change this since you're negotiating the sale price today, not when the car actually arrives. Incentives will most likely get better going into the holiday season though so if you plan to finance/lease then you'll probably get better rates if you time your order right.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport

Quote:

Find a different dealer. My MSRP for the 2016 328 xdrive was almost 55, i walked out the door paying 49. Took lots of calling to find a dealer that wants to move cars. I suggest looking at the big chain places like a penske dealer or similar, they make most of their money on volume.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Reached out to a dealer for a 328i xDrive quote to order a car today...
I would reach out to BMWDavid for a quote. You can always order thru him and take delivery at the Performance Center in SC.

Dackel
Appreciate 0