F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Calling UK 320D drivers - preferred driving mode?
Studio RSR

02-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #23
Chris Peacock
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaheerUK View Post
Just really interested in what mode people are driving in. I have a 320D Efficient Dynamics for about 3 weeks and have been using Eco Pro religiously. Can't say I am getting anywhere near quoted 52mpg for urban driving but more like 30 mpg on short 4 mile trips. Your response is much appreciated.
That's awful, we get an average of 32mpg from our Golf GTi with my wife doing a 4 mile commute every day to work.

Plus I have to ask why would you buy a diesel if your mileage is so low and more to the point that distance covered is hardly going to impact your finances if you can afford a brand new £30k car in the first place
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsavit View Post
That can't be right, I was getting near 40mpg driving from east London to Westminster everyday. The home journey involved me queuing down the embankment for 40min to do 3miles.
The problem is, we really can't compare driving styles and conditions. There are so many variables. I recall one of the tuning companies having a customer with a 335d running in inner London, his car was reporting sub 10mpg as normal running. Nothing wrong, just the congestion and time spent running on idle.

The only realistic comparison test, is to get out on open motorway in still conditions, and see what a car returns at steady speeds, say 70mph. If it is in the average mpg range for the model, we can be more confident that there is nothing wrong with the engine and fuel consumption.

I recall one trip in my 330d (which average was 37mpg long term), going into Bath for the day with several places to visit. The trip in and back was 18 miles each way, plus very heavy congestion while moving about Bath, due to roadworks in the centre of Bath. I returned with less than 20mpg on the OBC, and that was with 36 miles of reasonable running. Whatever was the consumption in Bath itself? I guess it was not much more than 5mpg.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 01:28 AM   #25
ZaheerUK
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D ED (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Peacock View Post
That's awful, we get an average of 32mpg from our Golf GTi with my wife doing a 4 mile commute every day to work.

Plus I have to ask why would you buy a diesel if your mileage is so low and more to the point that distance covered is hardly going to impact your finances if you can afford a brand new £30k car in the first place
I bought the deisel mainly due to the urban mpg quoted at 52 mpg which looked great!! Although I was expecting 40 at least. Tend to drive 2-3 300 mile trips (both ways) to Birmingham on a regular basis every month so thought the ED Auto best suited my needs. I am hoping that as the weather begins to improve, and the temps rise, warm up time will decrease and car will return a better mpg. Fingers crossed!!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #26
Rajput
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d 2012

I've found that if i drive in ECO mode and do a non-town driving journey say on A, B roads and dual carriageways, then i can get something like 52+ miles according to the OBC. Over several recent ECO driving trips between Bristol & Frome over a total mileage of 400 ish miles the 'saving' was coming up as around 10 miles, although this did involve a couple of 12 mile round trips in and out of Bristol too.

However, on my last journey back from Frome to Bristol, i thought i'd see if i could still get the same 52 mpg in comfort mode, and the answer is yes, i could. I did this by driving as though i was still in ECO mode i.e. slow acceleration, anticipating stops, and gradual slow downs. So what this demonstrated to me is that ECO mode is as much about driving style and keeping the revs down, as encouraging a change in driving behaviour. So now i'm of the opinon that i might as well leave it in comfort mode and just drive like a nun, but with the advantage of better throttle response always available when i want to see dust in the rear view mirror, as i can get more or less the same mpg in comfort mode. I still can't help feel though that in stop-start traffic, ECO is better, so i might stick with that in traffic. I don't know to what extent some of these extra miles are gained because the air-con is being turned down in ECO mode.

On a slight tangent, i've got a 328i auto loaner these last couple of days and that feels a hugely different and spirited car to drive. Tried the 328i ECO mode in traffic and discovered that the 'creep speed' in ECO is slower than in comfort mode, so maybe there is a parallel in the 320d as well. BUT the big difference is that the 328i just feels so much faster than the 320d, and i can only put this down to my frugal old man OAP ECO driving style in my 320d! I also think that the 328i auto makes a huge difference as i sometimes find in the 320d manual i'm in the wrong gear, particularly when pulling out of any kind of bend/corner. I'll definitely pick auto transmission next time.

Funnily enough the GF at the weekend said 'Why don't you put your foot down and have some fun driving as you've got a powerful car?' (we were in the 320d at the time). Well i did for about a mile before catching up with some slow moving traffic. But it's that (bloody) ECO button which has definitely impacted on my driving style, and what the 328i loaner has taught me is that beemers are about driving a mean machine and not about gaining an extra 10 miles in 400. I mean, if this saving was so important then surely i should have bought the ED variant?!! Or even a Prius!! And saved a barrow full of spondulicks. I'm not therefore convinced that saving a couple of quid in a tankful is what owning a BMW is all about, although every little helps and each to their own.

So in a strange kind of way, i wish that the ECO/comfort/sport mode button wasn't there so that i could just drive the car, like i did in my old E46. Then again, i didn't go for the 330d because i thought it would be 'too fast' for me, on the basis that 'speed kills, as well as speed thrills'.

When i get my 320d back, i think i'm going to have to RELEARN just what fun driving a BMW is and undo the ECO brain washing, and a 320d is by no means a slow car.
Appreciate 0