F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Having an issue.
Studio RSR

08-20-2016, 02:37 AM   #1
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Having an issue.

When I am getting ready to make a right turn coming from a dead stop and I brake before making turn I am getting a thump. If I had to describe it I would say it feels like brake pads slipping on rotor before stopping. I plan on taking it to the dealer to get looked at but I'm wondering what it could be. Has anyone ever experienced this?
      08-20-2016, 04:16 AM   #2
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

It sounds like the lower/upper suspension thrust arm bushings are past their prime. Not a big deal, they take a lot of load in cornering like the car is on rails, and you have a 2012, so its prly time.
      08-26-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizon
It sounds like the lower/upper suspension thrust arm bushings are past their prime. Not a big deal, they take a lot of load in cornering like the car is on rails, and you have a 2012, so its prly time.
Dude you were right on the money! I took it into dealership today and it took a few trips around the lot for the tech to hear/feel issue. Once he got it on the lift you could clearly see that the front driver side wheel moved way more than passenger side. That bushing has a slight crack in it. I was surprised to hear that the whole LCA has to be replaced because of this bushing, it seems because that arm is aluminum BMW won't re-press bushing.

When the tech showed me I was thinking "crap, that's going to be expensive," luckily it's really not. The total cost including new LCA with thrust mount installed is about $350.
      08-31-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep

It will make a big difference in the cornering / handling, and put the car back on rails. You need to do both sides, as the other one will be giving up the ghost soon if not already.
      08-31-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizon View Post
Guessing more mileage than time/years..

How many miles on the car, OP?
      08-31-2016, 10:54 PM   #6
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizon View Post
Guessing more mileage than time/years..

How many miles on the car, OP?
Just crossed 60k last week. While on the lift the drivers wheel moved when shaking it, passenger side didn't really even budge. The bushing did have a slight crack in it but nothing else looked off. While I don't think it's a "fix immediately" situation I do want to get it fixed.
      09-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #7
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
Just crossed 60k last week. While on the lift the drivers wheel moved when shaking it, passenger side didn't really even budge. The bushing did have a slight crack in it but nothing else looked off. While I don't think it's a "fix immediately" situation I do want to get it fixed.
While it depends on how hard you drive / push in the turns, how bad your roads are and so on, 60k sounds about right. Also, time is the enemy of rubber parts, so is road salt. I've always looked on it as a consumable like brakes.

I'd get it fixed as it will put extra / unnecessary strain / shock loading on the rest of the connections which have to take up the slack for the weak block. That will cost lots more. The bonus is you will notice the difference immediately once they're changed.
      09-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #8
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
While it depends on how hard you drive / push in the turns, how bad your roads are and so on, 60k sounds about right. Also, time is the enemy of rubber parts, so is road salt. I've always looked on it as a consumable like brakes.

I'd get it fixed as it will put extra / unnecessary strain / shock loading on the rest of the connections which have to take up the slack for the weak block. That will cost lots more. The bonus is you will notice the difference immediately once they're changed.
I'm getting ready to install some Dinan springs so I'll probably do these at the same time.