F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Buying a ID5 EVO unit
Extreme Powerhouse

03-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Buying a ID5 EVO unit

Hi all,

I have a FY14 F30 with Connected drive etc but it was pre all the goodies that were released. Been looking at Ebay and see a few EBAY units out there, but have a few questions.

I am comfortable with coding as I have done this many times before on the car. The car had a recent update to all components (two months ago) and all the components including the current headunit are up to latest firmware.

Questions:

1. Do I have to buy the Screen as well as the head unit?
2. Do I need the iDrive controller as well or will the current iDrive controller I have work?
3. The unit I am looking at now has
S6AE Teleservices
S6AK Connected Drive Services

I have "Internet" as well (Pairing BT gives me weather etc) do I lose this or is it part of S6AK? Given that the original VIN has Connected Drive Services how does one carry on with the services or is it bound to the entire car's VIN (would love to retrofit RTTI)

Anyone on the forum doing these units?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFastM3 View Post
Hi all,

I have a FY14 F30 with Connected drive etc but it was pre all the goodies that were released. Been looking at Ebay and see a few EBAY units out there, but have a few questions.

I am comfortable with coding as I have done this many times before on the car. The car had a recent update to all components (two months ago) and all the components including the current headunit are up to latest firmware.

Questions:

2. Do I need the iDrive controller as well or will the current iDrive controller I have work?
S6AE Teleservices

I have "Internet" as well (Pairing BT gives me weather etc) do I lose this or is it part of S6AK? Given that the original VIN has Connected Drive Services how does one carry on with the services or is it bound to the entire car's VIN (would love to retrofit RTTI)

Anyone on the forum doing these units?

Yes, NBT1 screen will not work as NBT EVO uses APIX2.

Current one will work as so will the touch functionality.

S6AE Teleservices

You will lose all of these services as your vehicle is using TCB and not ATM for Telematics. SOS will still work as it will go through the loud speaker underneath the steering wheel.

Also take note that you would need to get an ID5 unit that has the GPS connector. If you decide to go for a native ID5 unit, you will need either an ATM module from a donor vehicle or an ATM emulator as native ID5 units are not equipped with the GPS connector and grabs the signal from the ATM module.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2017, 03:00 AM   #3
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmercoders View Post

Yes, NBT1 screen will not work as NBT EVO uses APIX2.

Current one will work as so will the touch functionality.

S6AE Teleservices

You will lose all of these services as your vehicle is using TCB and not ATM for Telematics. SOS will still work as it will go through the loud speaker underneath the steering wheel.

Also take note that you would need to get an ID5 unit that has the GPS connector. If you decide to go for a native ID5 unit, you will need either an ATM module from a donor vehicle or an ATM emulator as native ID5 units are not equipped with the GPS connector and grabs the signal from the ATM module.
Mr.SugarSkulls

And that is why you ask people like you thank you @bimmercoders

So here is the thing:

Get the screen - Check
Get the iDrive controller - Check
Understand the services - Check (this can also be done with coding?)
- Question: Can you change the original VIN on the unit back to the VIN of my car so the services of my car can be white listed again or will this not work. - Really don't want to lose the internet functionality use the Google search for when BMW maps (yes even the latest maps fail me) fail.

If one can't really access any of the new features due to it all being online account based now by BMW (clever buggers) {I don't have a online services account right now and BMW in our country doesn't allow us to subscribe to it unless you buy a new car with the services} - then is there really any point spending the money on the new unit?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFastM3 View Post
Mr.SugarSkulls

And that is why you ask people like you thank you @bimmercoders

So here is the thing:

Get the screen - Check
Get the iDrive controller - Check
Understand the services - Check (this can also be done with coding?)
- Question: Can you change the original VIN on the unit back to the VIN of my car so the services of my car can be white listed again or will this not work. - Really don't want to lose the internet functionality use the Google search for when BMW maps (yes even the latest maps fail me) fail.

If one can't really access any of the new features due to it all being online account based now by BMW (clever buggers) {I don't have a online services account right now and BMW in our country doesn't allow us to subscribe to it unless you buy a new car with the services} - then is there really any point spending the money on the new unit?

Bottom line is, if you come from a pre-2016 setup, there is no way for you to have a 100% working ID5 retrofit even if you have the proper head unit. I've heard of some guys in Russia who were able to install an ATM module from a donor vehicle but it will be difficult to find one.

Only 2016+ models for the F2x, F3x, F80, F82, F83, F87 have the proper Telematics hardware to fully work with ID5.

I currently hold the only fully working ID5 retrofit in North America and I am only able to do it because my vehicle is a 2016 model that has the necessary prerequisites.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmercoders View Post
Bottom line is, if you come from a pre-2016 setup, there is no way for you to have a 100% working ID5 retrofit even if you have the proper head unit. I've heard of some guys in Russia who were able to install an ATM module from a donor vehicle but it will be difficult to find one.

Only 2016+ models for the F2x, F3x, F80, F82, F83, F87 have the proper Telematics hardware to fully work with ID5.

I currently hold the only fully working ID5 retrofit in North America and I am only able to do it because my vehicle is a 2016 model that has the necessary prerequisites.
@bimmercoders - thats just sad

Great that you got it working though

They changed so much in these versions throughout the years wow! I bet the new Tacho is going to require the ID5 - watch.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

So if I have a 2012, there is not way to have a fully working ID5/6?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #7
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
It will be possible to have everything working minus ConnectedDrive.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
Mwahab
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmercoders
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
It will be possible to have everything working minus ConnectedDrive.
If i have a headunit nbt2 taken out from a car, what else do i need to complete the kit in order to retrofit it on pre-lci? emulator, wiring harness etc
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #9
Chestermix
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahab View Post
If i have a headunit nbt2 taken out from a car, what else do i need to complete the kit in order to retrofit it on pre-lci? emulator, wiring harness etc
Just wondering if you managed to finish your project?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #10
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahab View Post
its not that difficult dipending on what id you have you have to change 3 cables from quadlock to oabar and from oabar add 3 cables to atm. in the atm you have to chang almost all wiring to other pin number. if your id has a seperate gps connector ok otherwise in new version the gps connection is true the atm module aswell

The problem is getting an atm module to keep connect drive functions. If you can get bmw to sell you an atm module with the EMEI nr linked to your vin a fully working retroft of nbt evo with connect function is possible. Don't know if bmw will sell you a new module and the atm is about 600 euro if im correct
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 02:35 AM   #11
Dtwok335
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3F80-Frozenblack-metallic

Hey does anyone know if F80 build year 2015 maybe has the right telematics to retrofit?

Or is it the same like F30?

Thanks!

Just looked up, I've:

S601A TV Function
S609A Navigation System Professional
S610A Headup Display
S654A DAB Tuner
S688A HARMANKARDON SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM
S698A AreaCode 2 For DVD
S6ACA INTELLIGENTER NOTRUF
S6AEA TELESERVICES
S6AKA CONNECTEDDRIVE SERVICES
S6AMA REAL TIME TRAFFIC INFORMATION
S6ANA CONCIERGE SERVICES
S6APA REMOTE SERVICES
S6NSA KOMFORTTELEFONIE MIT ERW SMARTPHON

Maybe you guys can see out of this information if it's possible to retrofit or not.

Now looked up a 2016 F30... it's the same?

S609A Navigation System Professional
S610A Headup Display
S655A Satellite Tuner
S676A HiFi Speaker System
S697A AreaCode 1 For DVD
S6ACA Intelligent Emergency SOS Call
S6AEA Teleservices
S6AKA Connected Drive Services
S6AMA RealTime Traffic Information
S6APA Remote Services
S6NHA Handsfree With USB Interface
S6WAA Instrument Cluster Expanded Equipment
S6WAA Instrument Cluster Expanded Equipment
S645A BMW US Radio

Last edited by Dtwok335; 02-18-2019 at 03:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #12
rbaudouin
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

pre lci retrofit and rtti

did someone manage to activate rtti after a nbt evo retrofit on a pre lci f30 ?

I know we do need to change le tcb module and the wire. wohr did that ?

I have retrofit a nbt evo on a 2015 prelci f30 and I lost RTTI and connected drive i am so sad.
Appreciate 0