F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Yay iced over streets!
Extreme Powerhouse

02-24-2015, 04:06 PM   #23
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Igor1080 , I feel your pain. Before you go down the path of respraying the whole bumper look into a partial paint repair. While I know this is not in NY, here is a link to a guy I used on my Audi with great results. The website will give you an idea to what can be done:

http://autocosmeticsolutions.com/

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 05:51 PM   #24
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

There is someone selling a set of blizzaks for 200 in the NYC forum. I have a set and drove through the snow and ice on Saturday night without a problem
      02-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #25
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivo View Post
There is someone selling a set of blizzaks for 200 in the NYC forum. I have a set and drove through the snow and ice on Saturday night without a problem
I've been driving through all of the crap we've been having on All Season DWS's. Driver training has more to do with if/how you get through than the tires alone.

Anybody who hasn't already done so, needs to get themselves to a performance driving school to learn to properly control the car during low traction and panic situations.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #26
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor1080 View Post
Stock All season, continental contiprocontact. Yes, I'm aware of the added benefits of a shortened stopping distance with winter tires. But I refuse to spend $1000+ on winter tires that I would have no place to store come summer.
I can not feel any sympathy. You made your bed.................it's yours to lay in. Sorry man.

Also, has anyone here pipping up about ABS ever actually tried the medicine they are peddling? ABS on ice is worthless. It doesn't pulse ANYTHING. ABS is for rain and dry pavement. Rain causes hydroplaning which when pulsed the tire regains traction by. You don't regain any traction on ice......it's ice......the ABS system just believes the car is stopped and the wheels stay locked.

I encourage you to go find a nice empty big parking lot covered with snow and ice and then just stand on your brake pedal, I think you'll be surprised.

He did the right thing, only thing he could do is release to let the tires try to get some resistance against the car. They just couldn't do enough in the conditions.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #27
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I've been driving through all of the crap we've been having on All Season DWS's. Driver training has more to do with if/how you get through than the tires alone.

Anybody who hasn't already done so, needs to get themselves to a performance driving school to learn to properly control the car during low traction and panic situations.
Don't you have an xi? Congrats for driving through the foot of snow we've had with your all wheel drive and superb performance driving skills. My car is rwd, I need snow tires just to get out of my parking spot.
      02-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #28
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivo View Post
Don't you have an xi? Congrats for driving through the foot of snow we've had with your all wheel drive and superb performance driving skills. My car is rwd, I need snow tires just to get out of my parking spot.
Yep. The GT only comes in AWD. Wouldn't have considered anything not AWD.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #29
EBIINYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 4GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
I can not feel any sympathy. You made your bed.................it's yours to lay in. Sorry man.
I'm not asking for sympathy or judgement. I'm simply sharing my story to find some relevant advice. We're all perfectly capable grown ups here so no need for pandering or judgmental attitudes. Be polite.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2015, 09:25 PM   #30
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Been driving in the Northeast since 1992, on every kind of rubber available. Even chains. AWD. RWD. FWD. Winter tires are better on ice, no doubt. I have no idea that they would have helped in this situation though. They might have, they might not have. If you can predict how a car will react on ice, then you haven't driven on it enough.
You don't throw out the laws of physics when you add ice to the equation. My guess is you're not an engineer?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #31
Livfast335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340 X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333
Quote:
Stock All season, continental contiprocontact. Yes, I'm aware of the added benefits of a shortened stopping distance with winter tires. But I refuse to spend $1000+ on winter tires that I would have no place to store come summer.

Also, has anyone here pipping up about ABS ever actually tried the medicine they are peddling? ABS on ice is worthless. It doesn't pulse ANYTHING. ABS is for rain and dry pavement. Rain causes hydroplaning which when pulsed the tire regains traction by. You don't regain any traction on ice......it's ice......the ABS system just believes the car is stopped and the wheels stay locked.

I encourage you to go find a nice empty big parking lot covered with snow and ice and then just stand on your brake pedal, I think you'll be surprised.

He did the right thing, only thing he could do is release to let the tires try to get some resistance against the car. They just couldn't do enough in the conditions.
I agree that ABS doesn't do jack in ice. I pump the brakes and use the downshift to slow momentum. We get ice and snow non stop up here.
2013 BMW 335i X-Drive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #32
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livfast335 View Post
I agree that ABS doesn't do jack in ice. I pump the brakes and use the downshift to slow momentum. We get ice and snow non stop up here.
So let me get this straight, you manually pump the brakes on an ABS equipped car. Pumping the brakes on ice is a stupid idea for a number of reasons, the least of which is that every time you do so you have to be careful not to lock up your tires. And even if you lock them up, ABS will kick in and start pulsating anyways. The other option is to apply constant steady pressure on the brakes so that you don't lock them up.

Out of curiosity, what winter tires are you using up there?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 11:32 PM   #33
Livfast335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340 X-Drive

Pirelli sottozero runflats....

I've done the test, just letting the ABS do its thing or pump them intermittently lightly and on ice I found it stopped earlier....and my tires didn't lock up either.

Obviously I have to do this quickly, but I do that for ice only. The downshifting of gears also helps a lot.
2013 BMW 335i X-Drive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #34
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livfast335 View Post
Pirelli sottozero runflats....

I've done the test, just letting the ABS do its thing or pump them intermittently lightly and on ice I found it stopped earlier....and my tires didn't lock up either.

Obviously I have to do this quickly, but I do that for ice only. The downshifting of gears also helps a lot.
For tires, those are performance winters. You'd probably get way better ice performance with studless winter tires. It's worth considering given your location.

Your test sounds fishy to me. The purpose of pumping brakes (which ABS does for you automatically) is so that your tires don't lock up. If you haven't locked up, you haven't exceeded the maximum braking force allowable. That means the "peak" braking pressure from your brake pumping is well within your traction limits. Now if you apply that same constant pressure the entire time, you will be able to slow down in less distance.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #35
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Been driving in the Northeast since 1992, on every kind of rubber available. Even chains. AWD. RWD. FWD. Winter tires are better on ice, no doubt. I have no idea that they would have helped in this situation though. They might have, they might not have. If you can predict how a car will react on ice, then you haven't driven on it enough.
You don't throw out the laws of physics when you add ice to the equation. My guess is you're not an engineer?
No, thank god. Anesthesiologist.

I wouldn't suggest throwing out any universal laws, but I've had bad experience with winter rubber on ice, and conversely, had great experience with standard radials on ice. Will winters be better? Of course. Will they keep you from having an accident? Neither one of our degrees can say for sure, which is what driving on snow and ice for over 20 years has taught me. I know that's not much compared to the indefatigable, undeniable, and unassailable laws of physics, but laws are broken in the real world all the time. Winter rubber is great. Driving with impunity on winter rubber is just dumb.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #36
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Now here's the million dollar question: What kind of tires did you have on the car at the time?
Now you have to spend $1,000 on repairs.. I have been driving all seasons for years on my car. This year I gave in and gave myself a dedicated winter and summer set. It's SO worth it. The winters to their job, and with summers the car performs so much better!!

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #37
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Now you have to spend $1,000 on repairs.. I have been driving all seasons for years on my car. This year I gave in and gave myself a dedicated winter and summer set. It's SO worth it. The winters to their job, and with summers the car performs so much better!!
The moral of the story is you have to spend money either way. Would you rather be proactive and prevent an incident or would you rather be reactive and spend it un-f*cking your car after looking like a moron who just wrecked into something? The OP bought/leased a BMW, $1000 for winter tires should be pocket change.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2015, 08:24 AM   #38
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

My driveway is 110ft long and has a burm in the middle, so when it ices, I dont go anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 08:46 AM   #39
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
My driveway is 110ft long and has a burm in the middle, so when it ices, I dont go anywhere.
+1. Arguments about tires aside the one undeniable fact is that everyone who's had an accident on icy roads would not have had they stayed home. Whatever you think is so important that you have to venture out on icy roads isn't worth the risk.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #40
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post

Check the videos etc. A/S is still inferior to winter tires on all surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #41
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
I'm not asking for sympathy or judgement. I'm simply sharing my story to find some relevant advice. We're all perfectly capable grown ups here so no need for pandering or judgmental attitudes. Be polite.
1000% agreed. I noticed people start bashing on someone who is in trouble or is having issues. Way back in the day on this forum, way before I even joined to participate, people were nicer, more helpful. Now, just badgering, criticizing, and oh yea, kicking someone when they’re already down.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #42
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
+1. Arguments about tires aside the one undeniable fact is that everyone who's had an accident on icy roads would not have had they stayed home. Whatever you think is so important that you have to venture out on icy roads isn't worth the risk.
What kind of argument is that?
100% of people who had a car accident, wouldn't have had it, had they stayed at home...

And I don't know about you, but I still have to go to work even if the temperature drops below freezing.

Here's what I drove in for a week in Norway.

People didn't stay inside when the roads were covered like that.
You have to properly equip your vehicle, be aware of the road conditions and adapt your behavior accordingly.

@OP, sorry to see that you banged your car.
From the looks of it, it's minor though.
Had the same thing on the rear bumper (someone backed into me in the parking lot) and was fixed without a bumper replacement. Looks as new!
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #43
BDWonder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
The moral of the story is you have to spend money either way. Would you rather be proactive and prevent an incident or would you rather be reactive and spend it un-f*cking your car after looking like a moron who just wrecked into something? The OP bought/leased a BMW, $1000 for winter tires should be pocket change.
Why looking like a moron? Dude's just in trouble and had bad luck. I drive in NY, as well. Ice is not really an issue here. I've only seen very little patches of ice on the actual roads. There are areas of course with ice, but i encountered them very very rarely. Plus he was going downhill. I hope that anyone can avoid an accident when going downhill. Crap happens. I've been driving on all seasons for 15 years in NY, and have not gotten into accidents yet. Granted when I hit ice, i wished i had winters on, but, like i said its rare here on busy roads and etc. Also, not everybody lives in huge houses with garages and storage space. Certain people do not have room to store 4 summer tires. And don't tell me if they could afford a BMW, they could afford storage cost and winter tires. Some folks save up long enough to purchase a BMW, and this does not indicate they're rich or have more money to spend on tires and etc. Some folks live in small apts and have collected just enough to lease/purchase a vehicle they wanted. Some have a choice, to live in bigger place, or lease/purchase a nice car. It is their decision, their priority, not anyone else's. If they choose to have a nice car instead of a nice apt, there's nothing wrong with that. Do not judge. It is their choice and desire. Other folks choose bigger, nicer places to live rather than a nice car. Nothing wrong with that too. Let's focus on what we do as human beings, instead of watching other people and judging their actions and living. Other folks can have both, nice car and nice place to live. Again, the dude hit a patch of ice coming down a hill. Could happen to any of us, independent of what tires they had or what car they drove. My co-worker had the winter ice tires on his subaru. He went upstate to snow-board. He was driving into a lot, and hit ice at like 15 mph. He ended up hitting a pole. Light damage. But, it happened. Even with winter ice tires, things do happen. He had all seasons for like 8 years before these winter tires, and never had an issue during winter. Things do happen. Let's be sympathetic.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:39 AM   #44
BDWonder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
What kind of argument is that?
100% of people who had a car accident, wouldn't have had it, had they stayed at home...

And I don't know about you, but I still have to go to work even if the temperature drops below freezing.

Here's what I drove in for a week in Norway.

People didn't stay inside when the roads were covered like that.
You have to properly equip your vehicle, be aware of the road conditions and adapt your behavior accordingly.

@OP, sorry to see that you banged your car.
From the looks of it, it's minor though.
Had the same thing on the rear bumper (someone backed into me in the parking lot) and was fixed without a bumper replacement. Looks as new!
By the way...that picture...looks amazing. What a view!
Appreciate 0