F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Building, Packaging, Shipping, Handling, M-sporting?
proTUNING Freaks

09-11-2015, 12:17 AM   #1
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Building, Packaging, Shipping, Handling, M-sporting?

Guys, I'm literally about to put a deposit on a 2016 335i GT with DHP, Factory Order with Performance Delivery and I'm torn between going with the luxury package and checking all boxes, putting the MSRP at 61k. OR do I go with M-sport, squash the lux package, get rid of Drivers Asst Plus ( Add side and top view), and get rid of Active Cruise Control, MSRP would then be 62K

I have M-sport on my X3 and it came with Performance Control, VSS, Adaptive M suspension, and M aesthetic parts of course. I don't see Performance Control for the 335 GT, so my question is does it have that?

Also, if M-sport on the new GT's are really just appearance and nothing really to do with speed or handling, do I go M sport and miss out on 2 pretty cool features (ACC and Drivers Asst Plus)?

OR Do i Go LUx package, add the 19's and get all options? Just to be fair, price is really not the issue.

P.S. I noticed when building out a 2015 GT, you can purchase the M sport brakes for $650, now for some reason they are gone. Do M-sport brakes come standard on the M Pack....

1st world problems guys, lol, Please help.

EDIT: By the way the Lux package with 19's does look 91% as good as the M-sport IMO. Does the M pack really do itself justice....... ugh
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 06:57 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I don't miss the side/top view cameras, the radar with the standard rear view camera is adequate. I would prefer having ACC over standard. MSport seems mainly cosmetic. I wouldn't do 19s, Brooklyn potholes will make short work of your tires and rims. I also would do 328, not 335. 328 has all the oomph anyone needs and gets better gas mileage. It also seems that all the complaints you see related to limp mode and so forth are on 335s.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz
I don't miss the side/top view cameras, the radar with the standard rear view camera is adequate. I would prefer having ACC over standard. MSport seems mainly cosmetic. I wouldn't do 19s, Brooklyn potholes will make short work of your tires and rims. I also would do 328, not 335. 328 has all the oomph anyone needs and gets better gas mileage. It also seems that all the complaints you see related to limp mode and so forth are on 335s.
Nice answer but a few things. Just to be clear I'm coming from a fully loaded x3 35i M with 19's. So I'm not worried about "Brooklyn potholes" that is just an ugly misconception for those that don't live here. BK is HUGE, And only in the bad neighborhoods is where the streets can get out of hand. There are more good then bad hoods, lol. Next the 35 engine has worked flawless for me. No limp mode, so I'm going to stay with the 35 and MPG doesn't mean anything to me now. An extra $1000 a year on gas is totally okay. According to what you re saying though, go with less options and get M Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post
I'm not worried about "Brooklyn potholes" that is just an ugly misconception for those that don't live here.
I don't live in BK, but I used to live in both Manhattan and Queens, and I visit NYC at least once a year. There are potholes in NYC so big that they'll swallow a car whole, and not just on the local side streets. The expressways and parkways are the worst, because you're going too fast to see them before you hit them. They could make avoiding potholes on the BQE into a most challenging video game.
But in all fairness New Jersey is worse.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2015, 03:36 AM   #5
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
So on the M Sport - yes it is just the appearance and that is generally true across most of the BMW range - on pretty much all models you can spec M Sport suspension or Active Suspension & bigger wheels and that gives you the same dynamics. So it is all down to whether you prefer the M Sport look - personally I do on these later cars - I did spec a 2008 335d as SE and then add all the M Sport options just to avoid the black roof lining, but on that car it was more spot the difference on the external appearance so I wasn't fussed with it...

So I'm probably not going to help you here as I do like the top view - great for parking straight/avoiding kerbs with your 19'' wheels! (Although the rest of that pack is pretty redundant for me.) I also always spec ACC as I spend most of my time on the highway. I believe most BMWs come with the Performance Control as standard but it doesn't do anything to the chassis set up unless you order order DHP/Active suspension. I have DHP/VSS but to be honest it pretty much always stays in Comfort.

Over here we have M Sport & M Sport Plus - which adds in the M Sport brakes (& other stuff) - assuming they do make a difference to standard (never tried a GT car without them) I'd say they are almost essential as I wouldn't want weaker brakes. Probably best to leave it to someone your side of the pond to comment more as the specs we get are quite different - plus I ordered mine before the LCI & I know things have changed... But in your shoes - just go with everything M Sport + ACC + Top View and negotiate harder - we're getting 20%+ discounts on top end GTs...No chance of regrets that way - which would be crazy if you've just spent $60k...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 06:39 AM   #6
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge
So on the M Sport - yes it is just the appearance and that is generally true across most of the BMW range - on pretty much all models you can spec M Sport suspension or Active Suspension & bigger wheels and that gives you the same dynamics. So it is all down to whether you prefer the M Sport look - personally I do on these later cars - I did spec a 2008 335d as SE and then add all the M Sport options just to avoid the black roof lining, but on that car it was more spot the difference on the external appearance so I wasn't fussed with it...

So I'm probably not going to help you here as I do like the top view - great for parking straight/avoiding kerbs with your 19'' wheels! (Although the rest of that pack is pretty redundant for me.) I also always spec ACC as I spend most of my time on the highway. I believe most BMWs come with the Performance Control as standard but it doesn't do anything to the chassis set up unless you order order DHP/Active suspension. I have DHP/VSS but to be honest it pretty much always stays in Comfort.

Over here we have M Sport & M Sport Plus - which adds in the M Sport brakes (& other stuff) - assuming they do make a difference to standard (never tried a GT car without them) I'd say they are almost essential as I wouldn't want weaker brakes. Probably best to leave it to someone your side of the pond to comment more as the specs we get are quite different - plus I ordered mine before the LCI & I know things have changed... But in your shoes - just go with everything M Sport + ACC + Top View and negotiate harder - we're getting 20%+ discounts on top end GTs...No chance of regrets that way - which would be crazy if you've just spent $60k...
Thank you sir. Very detailed answer
Appreciate 0