F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > E90->F30???
proTUNING Freaks

05-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #23
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
This is a touchy subject

I went from e90 to f30 and back to e92.

Of the two (328 vs 328) I won't hesitate to state the f30 is the superior car overall. The turbo four is faster than the six and you feel that difference in day to day driving. Also if you're thinking about automatic then the 8 speed in the f30 is worlds better than the 6 speed in the e90.

I think they handle equally well. Maybe the f30 handles slightly better. Just slightly.

The only area where the e90 does better is the steering feel and this aspect will fade in your mind over time. That's not to say the f30 steering feel is bad, it's still excellent.

Suspension wise: sport to sport I think the f30 suspension is better, handles slightly better and rides better than the e90. The e90 suspension has some bounce when pushed hard. If you're comparing base non-sport suspensions on both cars then the e90 suspension is better. The base suspension in the f30 is the worst.

Toys and gizmos wise the f30 beats the e90 again. The hud is great and the nav screen is of better quality. Sounds quality I think is a toss up when you compare the premium versions but I think base sound in e90 is better than base sound in f30.

Bottom line, don't buy base f30 and you'll be happy, you'll be buying a better car than a comparable e90 unless steering feel is extremely important to you. If you're considering base then I suggest lightly used cpo e90 instead, you'll be happier with that.

Try to get leather, xenons, nav, Harmon kardon and either sportline or msport. With these you'll definitely be happy.
I agree with most of what you say but I totally disagree with what I bolded. After 33000 miles in my F30, I still think the steering is horrible. If I ranked the steering on a 1-10 scale (10 as best), the E90 I had would be an 8 and the F30 a 3. It's too light even in Sport mode and communicates poorly and artificially. It's a bad design poorly executed by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 09:10 AM   #24
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Hi there everyone.
I've been playing with the idea from moving from my e90 328i to a newer f30 328i. The car looks nice but I kinda like the E90's styling a bit more. Also the motor is a new concern for me. An inline 4 with turbo is not exactly what I was expecting to see in a 3 series. Sadly, the only inline 6 now is in the 335 or the m3 which is a bit out of my price range. Can anyone tell me how well does the f30's inline 4 compare to the E90's inline 6? I feel that there's going to be a massive power difference. It also says that the MPG rating is now higher than in the previous model. Can anyone vouch for the MPG rating?
Is the 328 worth the money or should I save a bit more and just lunge for the 335 with the bigger power plant?
Drive both and buy what you prefer. I was in the market for a new car in 2013 and an e92 NA appealed to me more than the non-line f30 turbo. Albeit slower, car feels more refined and nimble mainly because it's smaller, lighter, lower, better tuned and the steering should be the benchmark for all manufacturers. Am not huge on newest technology in a car and see how tech geeks prefer the f30. Can't speak for all e9x's but by 2013 they sure got them sorted out well. My auto tranny feels good as well inspite of some comments referring to older cars, I drive it 99.9% in sport manual and it does exactly what I want her to do, upshifts and downshifts on a dime and over all not disappointed by not being able to find a new one stick. Had no problem staying in a pack with a couple friends with brz's with a manual in the twisties. Big fan of e92 and will keep her few more years.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 04:36 AM   #25
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Hi there again everyone,
I had a chance to go to my local dealership to take a quick test drive. My girlfriend is going to end up with the 320i but as for myself, I'm pretty set on getting an f30. However, I've read a few threads on the battle between the two. The mpg rating on the 328 is much better than the 335. Yes I'll miss the inline 6 sound and power but I feel like if I really miss it that much, I'll save up for an e90 again. I feel like the 328i with the M package and fully loaded is going to be much better than a bare 335i just like smithf32 mentioned above. The sad thing is, the only color that they have in the 328 msport is this very vibrant blue. Although beautiful, I feel weird paying 550 extra for a color I might get tired of. Also comes with Crimson red interior which is really not my style... I think I might just have to make a custom order to have the car exactly how I want it. The 328 is also about 8k cheaper than the basic 335 which amazes me a bit. I'd rather have a nice smooth ride and anything faster than my e90 328 is going to wow me a bit but I do agree with the weird steering wheel response and feel. I'm sure by the time the LCI is out or the next model they'll revert back to the old e90 feel. By then, I'm sure my lease would be up and I'd have more than enough saved for a new car. Thank you again everyone for helping. If there's anything else anyone would like to add, please do so. I'm looking to take in as much information as I possibly can before I write my decisions out on a contract. Thanks again!
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 05:00 AM   #26
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

For the 320, the sport package is a really great deal, you should definitely get it if possible. I've also seen others write that other options that come on the 320 in germany can be added, like the HK stereo. Worth looking into if you are ordering anyway.

Are you set on new? If you got a CPO E9X M3 I suspect you will NOT be second guessing yourself in any way
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 05:54 AM   #27
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
For the 320, the sport package is a really great deal, you should definitely get it if possible. I've also seen others write that other options that come on the 320 in germany can be added, like the HK stereo. Worth looking into if you are ordering anyway.

Are you set on new? If you got a CPO E9X M3 I suspect you will NOT be second guessing yourself in any way
I'd love to get a CPO E9X M3 but my goal is to get better gas mileage haha. If that wasn't an issue, there's this sexy e90 m3 on the lot that I was looking at earlier with a akra exhaust system. Didn't bother asking how much because my wallet would murder me alive with the mpg rating and the way I'd drive it.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 06:49 AM   #28
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post

If one is considering a F30 320i with a sport package, the ATS offers a far better car for the money. I've driven both, the ATS drives like a an old-school BMW the BMW drives like an old-school Cadillac.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #29
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If one is considering a F30 320i with a sport package, the ATS offers a far better car for the money. I've driven both, the ATS drives like a an old-school BMW the BMW drives like an old-school Cadillac.
The ATS is really an excellent chassis. I wish they were doing some kind of ATS-Vsport model though, maybe with a 300hp or more turbo engine and "V" widebody kit+suspension/brakes. Not as crazy as a the V, but something to compete directly with the 335/435 cars. The V6 just doesn't have the torque down low.

GM figured out handling about 7-8 years ago though and hasn't looked back since, which is such a paradigm shift it still amazes me. Good times.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 08:47 AM   #30
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I had an e90 and now a 428gc

The only thing I miss on the N52 is the sound, other than that the N20/26 wins
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #31
P-Bass
The Ox
Rep
Drives: 2009 Porsche Carrera S Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I agree with most of what you say but I totally disagree with what I bolded. After 33000 miles in my F30, I still think the steering is horrible. If I ranked the steering on a 1-10 scale (10 as best), the E90 I had would be an 8 and the F30 a 3. It's too light even in Sport mode and communicates poorly and artificially. It's a bad design poorly executed by BMW.

+1
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #32
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Price the 328 and 335 both. Depending on your options, you may find it closer than you think. For me, the way I optioned them, the 335 was only 35 bucks a month more in a lease. Easy decision (for me) at that close a price point. But the 4 banger is plenty capable in the 3 if price of the 335 is prohibitive for you. I don't like that engine in anything heavier, but it handles the 3 perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #33
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Agreed ats is worth considering. Personally, the gearboxes ruin the ats drive for me. I didn't like CUE much either but that is secondary

And bmw lease subsidies make the ats more expensive (at lease when I was shopping).
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #34
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
The ATS is really an excellent chassis. I wish they were doing some kind of ATS-Vsport model though, maybe with a 300hp or more turbo engine and "V" widebody kit+suspension/brakes. Not as crazy as a the V, but something to compete directly with the 335/435 cars. The V6 just doesn't have the torque down low.

GM figured out handling about 7-8 years ago though and hasn't looked back since, which is such a paradigm shift it still amazes me. Good times.
IMO Caddy just needs to add the 6-sp manual back on the V6 for the ATS like the 1st and 2nd Gen CTS's had. I imagine the 8-sp auto from the Vette will find its way into the ATS sometime soon and solve whatever gearbox issues you may have with it. I drove both the auto 2.0T and the auto 328i. I think BMWs 8-sp shifts too much for my tastes; but I hate automatics anyway. The F30 chassis in plain and Sport guise just doesn't have the BMW DNA. I've driven 3 different versions of the F30 in recent years, and none fedback the BMW DNA like almost every other 3-series I've driven (back to the E21 in the time period when it was new, i.e. 1976).

The ATS is an excellent driving car. It's got a few warts, but driving dynamics is not one of them. Get it without CUE and that problem goes away.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #35
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Hi again everyone.
For an update, my girlfriend ended up not getting the 320i because of the bank. They said she didn't make enough and she needed a CO signer so we decided to pass which then raised my current question. The 320i and the 328i carry a strong mirror like resemblance... like all the way down to the motor... what are the differences? Is it just the power and single outlet exhaust? If I were to say, get a 328's ecu and 328 exhaust wouldn't it be the same car or is there more to it than that? Because if so, I might as well get the msport package and load the car to the brim and save a few thousand right? What is BMW even doing right now...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #36
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

In my opinion, the engine is not the concern. The N20 is a sweet little runner, and for a person whose primary goal is not straight-line power, it should be fine.

For someone moving from an E90 to an F30, pay close attention to your suspension choices. On a rear-wheel drive car, the 704 sport suspension option is critical to achieve anything close to the level of chassis engagement that an E90 had. On the xDrive car, it's essentially a lost cause, but the Adaptive M Suspension package at least includes the adjustable dampers that tighten things up in most cases.

Everyone complains about the steering. They're not wrong, but I think that is the kind of thing that either bothers a person or doesn't. You'll know when you test drive.

A RWD E90 328 with the 704 suspension is a nice little sport sedan, if not quite as hardcore as the E90. You might find the front end to be a little soft.
      05-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #37
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb
I really miss wringing out the engine and hearing that sweet NA purr.

The E90 steering told you what was happening and about to happen. F30 steering tells you what *just* happened.
- Yes the Purr! Definitely a Great Loss in the F3x... But did you also feel it Purring into the seats like a Massage seat when idle?

- What Just Happened
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 06:28 PM   #38
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
I made the switch.

The new I4 is faster than the N52 in the 328 and the MPG is without a doubt better. I got terrible mileage in my old 328.

You don't necessarily need the 335 but don't get a car with little to no options, that you'll regret.

Find or order an MSport 328 with at least Premium, Drivers Assistance, Navi, and Cold Weather if your climate warrants is.
Agreed, i had the same hesitation as the OP when I got rid of my E90 328i and got my F30 328i, but the N20 is definitely a superior motor to N52 in terms of power and fuel economy. If anything the only area where the N52 might have had the edge would be the sound.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #39
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Price the 328 and 335 both. Depending on your options, you may find it closer than you think. For me, the way I optioned them, the 335 was only 35 bucks a month more in a lease. Easy decision (for me) at that close a price point. But the 4 banger is plenty capable in the 3 if price of the 335 is prohibitive for you. I don't like that engine in anything heavier, but it handles the 3 perfectly.
MSRP right away is $5500 more for the 435 over the 428 and guessing it should apply to the 335 v 328i as well. The option packages I believe are the same regardless if x35 or x28. Comes down to how you can haggle the dealer over either car and how bad they want to sell it.
      05-29-2015, 07:51 PM   #40
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
MSRP right away is $5500 more for the 435 over the 428 and guessing it should apply to the 335 v 328i as well. The option packages I believe are the same regardless if x35 or x28. Comes down to how you can haggle the dealer over either car and how bad they want to sell it.
Options are rarely the same across the board. The bigger engine usually also comes with some more options standard, already included in that $5500 difference. Ex, at quick glance, the 335 comes with xenons standard vs halogens and 18" wheels vs 17's. I'm sure there's more but just as examples. So if those extra standard options are things you were already going to add and pay for on the smaller engine, but getting included in the bigger engine.. , the gap therefore is not as much. So, like I said, depends on how you option it... And if you're leasing, after residual, etc.. Figure about a $10-12 difference per thousand of MSRP. Like I said, a well optioned 335, when I got mine in 2013, was only $30 or so more a month, a sticker price difference around 3k more, than a comparably equipped 328. Had I gone more light on the options, that margin likely would've been bigger.

Yes haggling is also part of it, and they may be more or less willing to discount one model over the other based on various circumstances... Generally the smaller engine is discounted more as they do more volume, but not always.

So it makes sense to shop both before assuming anything is out of reach or drastically different. Never hurts to ask.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 09:43 PM   #41
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Had a 2006 e90 325xi and mod the heck out of it (M perf intake, M perf exhaust, AA tune, 3 stage manifold), now Im in a 428gc xdrive and yes the 4 banger sounds like shit but Active sounds inside the cabin fixes that....the 428 is faster and have better gas mileage

But I have to say I missed the sound of that inline6, that layered sound was freakin amazing
Appreciate 0