F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > XDrive...Is it worth it???
Studio RSR

03-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #111
walile
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Ok, at this point I have to concede that you sir have no idea what you're talking about. Feel free to continue to read wikipedia and police the internet forums of this world with your vast knowledge. Good day!
I am sorry that the truth is not to your liking.

Many manufactures have moved to use active center diff for either performance or efficiency. Porsche too, ditched viscous coupling since the 997.2 Turbo.

The fastest AWD cars around the Ring that I can think of use either active center diff or viscous coupling. Torsen/Crown gear based systems are no where to be seen on that list.

You say I don't know what I am talking about, yet the results and the industry trend are painfully clear. Have a nice day.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #112
charagar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

For those saying XDrive is pointless

This post is for those who are saying it's all about winter tires. Let me share my personal experience with you. I have been driving RWD for 7 years in Toronto Canada. While I had fun during Summer, winter was always a nightmare. Even with Winter tires on.

So.. eventually I had to go for a an AWD. (328xi 2011). And my winter nightmares are gone. Yes the car does not handle as good but it still is a good drive, it still is every inch a BMW. Let me also add that last winter I was using all season and despite what people are saying, my personal experience, xdrive with all season was better than my E60 RWD on winter tires! (big claim but this is what I experienced).

XDrive works and it is effective in snow. I so much want an RWD but it is almost a need here in Greater Toronto area. And this is coming from someone who had RWD (4 different BMWs) for 7 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #113
Rainbird
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 428ix M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by charagar View Post
This post is for those who are saying it's all about winter tires. Let me share my personal experience with you. I have been driving RWD for 7 years in Toronto Canada. While I had fun during Summer, winter was always a nightmare. Even with Winter tires on.

So.. eventually I had to go for a an AWD. (328xi 2011). And my winter nightmares are gone. Yes the car does not handle as good but it still is a good drive, it still is every inch a BMW. Let me also add that last winter I was using all season and despite what people are saying, my personal experience, xdrive with all season was better than my E60 RWD on winter tires! (big claim but this is what I experienced).

XDrive works and it is effective in snow. I so much want an RWD but it is almost a need here in Greater Toronto area. And this is coming from someone who had RWD (4 different BMWs) for 7 years.
Thanks for the informative post
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #114
charagar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

You nailed it!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 08:51 PM   #115
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:

So you drove 4 different RWD BMW and then switched to AWD? Why did you wait so long?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #116
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
my personal experience, xdrive with all season was better than my E60 RWD on winter tires! (big claim but this is what I experienced).
My experience with xDrive and all seasons versus FWD with snows is exactly the same. And the xDrive isn't just a bit better, it is hugely better.
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1870.50
      05-23-2015, 06:03 AM   #117
Jera_Jakerz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive

I hate my xdrive. I have already requested a trade in for same year or older model with my dealer for manual without xdrive. I was misinformed that it was almost a requirement in Germany - most definitely not.

Pros: I can almost always slam the pedal without fear of spinning, which is nice on the ring or tracks and from a stop.

Cons: Its way heavier, it has required multiple returns for mods since the piping is a little different as there is a lot less room in the engine bay, I am almost certain going to need a new transmission soon.
JB4 Stage 2 | aFe Magnum FORCE Intake System DRY | ER Chargepipe | ER CATLESS Downpipe | ATM Intercooler | BMS 2.3 Gal Meth Inj kit | Bilstein B14 | OEM Slotted/Dimpeled front rotors | Cool Carbon brakes | Go Fast Bit DV+ | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure inlet
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #118
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

For my purposes, the initial 40/60 torque split and the higher ground clearance of xDrive do most of the work. Even with my three M3s I encountered wheelspin in the dry getting "out of the hole", and there were just too many days when the snow was too deep to traverse secondary roads to do my winter wildlife photography. Personally I don't much like intervention, and the xDrive definitely feels weird to me on the rare occasions when it significantly shifts the torque split, but it is clearly effective. As to the weight penalty, it's down to 125 pounds with the 435i 8AT which is pretty reasonable.

With the high torque engines in BMW's performance models RWD will soon be a thing of the past. I passed on the M4 this time around because it isn't AWD and I believe the car is traction challenged (and yes, I've driven it).
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 09:25 AM   #119
maximusjp
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f36

X Drive configuration

Hello guys,

I have heard that higher series and M-series has the ability to dynamically change ratio of power which goes to the front or rear axle, are there any mods or configurations in 4 series which can change it to be more like RWD? instead of 40/60?

And another question, if disabling traction control changes the ratio of xdrive?

Thank you in advance for answers.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 02:08 AM   #120
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Power (Torque) distirbution ratio is established dynamically in every BMW, incl. the F3x. The default ratio is 40/60, but it can go to either 50/50 or 0/100 depending on the situation. E.g. above 180 km/h, as well as when maneuvering with slow speeds, it is 0/100.

So that is already in your car, but there is no user input. Not even through the DSC / traction control.

What M cars have is the ability to go 2WD (RWD) only. You can have that with an xDelete mod, with the only difference that you cannot switch on the go - you need to code it in before you start the car. And the fact that it is a 3rd party application with no liability.
      06-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #121
maximusjp
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Power (Torque) distirbution ratio is established dynamically in every BMW, incl. the F3x. The default ratio is 40/60, but it can go to either 50/50 or 0/100 depending on the situation. E.g. above 180 km/h, as well as when maneuvering with slow speeds, it is 0/100.

So that is already in your car, but there is no user input. Not even through the DSC / traction control.

What M cars have is the ability to go 2WD (RWD) only. You can have that with an xDelete mod, with the only difference that you cannot switch on the go - you need to code it in before you start the car. And the fact that it is a 3rd party application with no liability.
Wow, thank you for so detailed answer.. Thats exactly what I was looking for.
Appreciate 1
Frosty772.50
      06-25-2020, 03:28 PM   #122
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I had 2013 BMW 335i xDrive. With Pirelli Sottozero winter tires it was unstoppable on the East Coast in practically any weather.

All suspension behavior problems were addressed by KW Street Comfort coilovers.

In short - highly recommend xDrive with proper winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #123
VVlasy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 440i xDrive GC with MPPSK

I still dont get why people think that AWD is a replacement for winter tires. Unless people are talking about studded tires as winter tires. I guess its more of a US thing. With winter tires you can be much more aggresive in taking corners at lower temperatures. It doesnt even have to snow. Summer compound gets harder in lower temperatures, AWD wont prevent that.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 06:08 PM   #124
J00PTv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mercedes e320 4matic

my 2016 340 xdrive has summer tires but still drivable in the winter, not the smartest option as it takes a while to brake on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 06:51 PM   #125
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
that's crazy! at least stick with all seasons.
I've responded to multiple crashes during the winter and I always check the tires to see their conditions to determine if they were a causative factor and there have been quite a few with summer only tires.

i have a dedicated winter set i switch to even with xdrive.

Chicago winters have to be worse than Cleveland winters!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #126
bendeyo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 N55 335XI

Definitely worth getting the xdrive. Soo much traction!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #127
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
When I was shopping I looked at the M3 and 335i... I picked 335i xdrive and here is the reason why that came true... I always pictured this somewhat of scenario and it happened...
I was in traffic going about 15mph and car further up in my lane was stopped... there was a break in traffic to my left but had to act very quickly to make the opening... I floored it and yanked it and it was amazing how it just went... If I would of done that in a M3 it would be game over from the fish tailing... You can't beat the xdrive in real world conditions and I've been reading 335i xdrive has been superior bone stock in AutoX events.... so there you go... My next car will be the next 4wd M3 or 4wd Mustang or maybe a C8...

Last edited by FastF30; 08-04-2020 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 11:47 PM   #128
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
When I was shopping I looked at the M3 and 335i... I picked 335i xdrive and here is the reason why that came true... I always pictured this somewhat of scenario and it happened...
I was in traffic going about 15mph and car further up in my lane was stopped... there was a break in traffic to my left but had to act very quickly to make the opening... I floored it and yanked it and it was amazing how it just went... If I would of done that in a M3 it would be game over from the fish tailing... You can't beat the xdrive in real world conditions and I've been reading 335i xdrive has been superior bone stock in AutoX events.... so there you go... My next car will be the next 4wd M3 or 4wd Mustang or maybe a C8...
Especially in the rain! I have only a 328ix and there's lanes that merge into on ramps here that people always try to cut you off, I literally floor it (and first gear is really short) and it just dead hooks and goes. Even cars with twice the power or more can't compete because they'll just spin.
Appreciate 1
Frosty772.50
      08-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #129
Vytas J
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Great feedback here - thanks for all the info in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 05:15 PM   #130
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
The new M3 will have the same and system as the M5. So they will get "Xdelete" stock.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 08:36 PM   #131
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:

Need I say more.......

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #132
Nathen4242
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Gran Coupé 428iX N20

I live in Canada and if you have Bad winters with a lot of snow i 100% would get a x drive, i have never gotten stuck anywhere and i have seen 4x4 trucks stuck in a snow storm and i just go passed them like its nothing. A great set of Winter Tires and you are good to go!