F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > '13 335i Mineral Grey M-Sport
ARMA SPEED

02-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #23
J-boogey
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi Msport

the grey is nice
2013 F30 335i xdrive | Estoril Blue | Black Dakota Leather | Aluminum Hexagon trim | M-Sport | Cold weather | DHP | Premium package | Tech package | Harmon Kardon | PDC | Rearview Cam | IND Painted reflectors | BMW performance grills | JB4 stage 2 | ER downpipe | BMS Intake | H&R sport springs
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #24
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
cool....how's the stiffness compare to regular msport suspension?
You can definitely tell the difference from M-Sport. Spent a week in a 328 loaner and am still trying to get used to the stiffness. What I really like is that the body roll is virtually gone and the amount of forward pitch during hard corner braking is significantly less. There is also a very direct feel to the steering that wasn't there before. Car is sharp with practically no lag during quick steering. Definitely has the sports car feeling.

Word of caution: I would encourage those that don't like a stiff ride or that live in areas with bad roads to think twice about the M suspension. Especially with low-profile tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #25
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Talking '13 335i Mineral Grey M-Sport + M Performance Parts

OK - here are pictures with M Performance parts installed:

For those that are curious about the ride height of the M-Sport vs M Performance suspension with 19" 403M and Goodyear Eagles F1:

M-Sport - front sits at just under 27" and rear sits at 26-5/8".
You can see measurements here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/album.php?albumid=8119

M Performance - front sits at 26-1/2" and rear sits at 26-1/8".
You can see measurements here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/album.php?albumid=8240

I also need to post before and after videos of exhaust. Will try to get that posted tomorrow.

Time to go break in that suspension.

Enjoy!!

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #26
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
You can definitely tell the difference from M-Sport. Spent a week in a 328 loaner and am still trying to get used to the stiffness. What I really like is that the body roll is virtually gone and the amount of forward pitch during hard corner braking is significantly less. There is also a very direct feel to the steering that wasn't there before. Car is sharp with practically no lag during quick steering. Definitely has the sports car feeling.

Word of caution: I would encourage those that don't like a stiff ride or that live in areas with bad roads to think twice about the M suspension. Especially with low-profile tires.
Thanks for the review! it's very helpful. I just got my Msport 335 this week (also Mineral Grey). I think the ride now is perfect (plus I'm on stock 18'' rubber). I think it could be maybe 5 percent stiffer, (daily driver in dc w bad roads and wife and kid here). ...but sounds like the Mperformance may be too much, especially if i go to lower series tires..... would u agree?

Sucks cause I guess the only other option right now is prob h&r sports, but I'm nervous those will bounce or damage oem dampers over time.
      02-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #27
jrsx86
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 335i M Sport

WOW! Looks amazing! Didn't realize the slight drop would make it look that much more aggressive vs stock (That M performance front lip helps too!). I think I might just shell out the dough for the M Performance suspension instead of getting lowering springs when my car comes next week. How much did everything run you? Noticed you were in the bay area too! Thanks for such an informative post!

Last edited by jrsx86; 02-16-2013 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #28
jrortiz
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Looking very nice
      02-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #29
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the review! it's very helpful. I just got my Msport 335 this week (also Mineral Grey). I think the ride now is perfect (plus I'm on stock 18'' rubber). I think it could be maybe 5 percent stiffer, (daily driver in dc w bad roads and wife and kid here). ...but sounds like the Mperformance may be too much, especially if i go to lower series tires..... would u agree?

Sucks cause I guess the only other option right now is prob h&r sports, but I'm nervous those will bounce or damage oem dampers over time.
I definitely recommend staying away from M performance suspension if you drive bad roads or you carry passengers on a regular basis. Compared to M-Sport, it feels about 20-30% stiffer, but again, I spent a week in a loaner 328 base and that felt incredibly soft. Need to give it a few more days to settle and get used to. In reality its probably somewhere between 15-20% stiffer. Feels great when cornering, but you definitely feel every little bump on the road. I'm wondering if regular radials would feel the same compared to the run flats?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #30
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsx86 View Post
WOW! Looks amazing! Didn't realize the slight drop would make it look that much more aggressive vs stock (That M performance front lip helps too!). I think I might just shell out the dough for the M Performance suspension instead of getting lowering springs when my car comes next week. How much did everything run you? Noticed you were in the bay area too! Thanks for such an informative post!
Got local dealer to match pricing from GetBMWParts.com. Took a bit of convincing, but when I finally told them that I would just order the parts online, they caved. Labor in the Bay Area is ridiculously expensive. I could only get them to give me 15% off their regular rate of $180/hr. (yeah - crazy!!). Out the door for everything listed (including paint for diffuser) plus stainless steel pedals was just over $6200. I guess that's the price you pay for piece of mind??

On a related note - I was originally going to take the car to Dinan until I learned that their relationship with BMW has fallen apart and BMW no longer CPOs Dinan cars. If BMW is going to push their own performance parts, they need to do a better job at getting their dealers educated on what they are and how to order/install them. Believe it or not, I had to hand hold the parts department on what part numbers I needed (the posts here definitely helped guide me). Then, the shop took a week to complete what should have been done in 11 hours. They had originally told me they would only need the car for 2 days. Glad to have the car back.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 03:19 AM   #31
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Wow, that looks great. Gives the car a nice aggressive rake IMO. Something that is lacking with most after market spring/coilover setups. Rear always looks too dumped.
2000 E46 318i Cosmos Black
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #32
Nero7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i

Your car is perfect and one of my favorite on this site (after my car hihi ). I want to add almost the same parts to my car, also can't wait for summer to put the summer tyres on . Did you polish and wax your car yourself and if so what products did you use?

/// M-Sport 328i // Packages -- Adaptive Drive-- Drive Comfort -- Function -- Visibility // 19" 403M // M-Sport Brakes // Harman Kardon // Head Up Display ///
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #33
Straight6Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

It's a great color in the sun. Very nice
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #34
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Car looks stunning!
10mm lower and the height would have been perfect, but still much better than before. Spacers or more aggressive aftermarket wheels would be the icing on the cake.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
I definitely recommend staying away from M performance suspension if you drive bad roads or you carry passengers on a regular basis. Compared to M-Sport, it feels about 20-30% stiffer, but again, I spent a week in a loaner 328 base and that felt incredibly soft. Need to give it a few more days to settle and get used to. In reality its probably somewhere between 15-20% stiffer. Feels great when cornering, but you definitely feel every little bump on the road. I'm wondering if regular radials would feel the same compared to the run flats?
Def let me know after a few days of driving it...right now wife thinks msport is like so luxurious which means I think it could be stiffer ...using my mind only I feel it could be ten percent stiffer without wife caring... But combine that with lower series tires and you get into trouble (I'm on stock 18)... I don't want it to feel like a sports car, but feeling like a sports sedan is okay if that makes sense.
      02-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #36
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

we're almost twins :-) Nice job on getting it all done...that labor is crazy in SF, I paid about in the $3's out here (but our rate is $135 an hour)...

What you did was correct, always force them to price match online, they hate it, but they eventually do it.

I am waiting to pick her up with the M Performance Spoiler, so we'll be extreme line twins (I'll be the MG Base with M Performance goodies and you'll be the MG M Sport line with M Performance Goodies!)

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #37
brandon @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

absolutely breathtaking!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #38
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

M Performance Exhaust vs Stock

Thanks for all the compliments. I am really happy with how the car has turned out.

As promised, here are videos of stock vs M Performance exhaust:

Stock

M Performance

Edit: sorry - can't seem to get embedded YouTube to work. Tried the U2B tag and embedded link from Youtube and neither worked. Any idea how to get it to work?

Last edited by MadZarBMR; 02-17-2013 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #39
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Def let me know after a few days of driving it...right now wife thinks msport is like so luxurious which means I think it could be stiffer ...using my mind only I feel it could be ten percent stiffer without wife caring... But combine that with lower series tires and you get into trouble (I'm on stock 18)... I don't want it to feel like a sports car, but feeling like a sports sedan is okay if that makes sense.
It's definitely more than 10% stiffer, but will let you know how it settles in a couple of weeks. The true test will be after a trip to LA I am planning to take with a couple of passengers that like to sleep on long drives. I am a bit concerned that they won't be able to on this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero7 View Post
Your car is perfect and one of my favorite on this site (after my car hihi ). I want to add almost the same parts to my car, also can't wait for summer to put the summer tyres on . Did you polish and wax your car yourself and if so what products did you use?
Actually, it's been over a month since I waxed the car. Plan on giving it the full treatment after I get it back next week from getting the clear bra installed. I normally use Mothers 5701 or 5750 Carnuaba wax depending on if the car needs a full polish or not. 5701 is a combo polish/wax whereas 5750 is Step 3 of the Mothers 3 step system - Polish, Micro-Polish Glaze and Wax.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #40
tbensous
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Your car looks perfect ! Are you going to add the performance side stickers or not ? Would finish the look I think ? Perfect balance between stock look and sporty look ! Really love your car.

For the performance suspension does it feel more harsh than e90 m sport ? I tried the f30 m sport on 19" and thought it was way too soft for a m sport model... My e90 m sport on 18" feels stiffer than the f30 m sport on 19"... Really didn't like the softness of the f30 when I tried it.. Doesn't feel like a sport sedan at all.

Anyway congrats ! More photos please !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #41
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
It's definitely more than 10% stiffer, but will let you know how it settles in a couple of weeks. The true test will be after a trip to LA I am planning to take with a couple of passengers that like to sleep on long drives. I am a bit concerned that they won't be able to on this trip.

Actually, it's been over a month since I waxed the car. Plan on giving it the full treatment after I get it back next week from getting the clear bra installed. I normally use Mothers 5701 or 5750 Carnuaba wax depending on if the car needs a full polish or not. 5701 is a combo polish/wax whereas 5750 is Step 3 of the Mothers 3 step system - Polish, Micro-Polish Glaze and Wax.
They won't be able to sleep, I'm sure...unless they're young. The feedback is quick and stiff for sure.

I've always likened it to 20% LESS stiff than the current generation M3. Is that what you're feeling?

Once it settles in, it'll soften a little (I noticed). It's like the springs needed a few hundred miles to settle.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #42
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbensous View Post
Your car looks perfect ! Are you going to add the performance side stickers or not ? Would finish the look I think ? Perfect balance between stock look and sporty look ! Really love your car.

For the performance suspension does it feel more harsh than e90 m sport ? I tried the f30 m sport on 19" and thought it was way too soft for a m sport model... My e90 m sport on 18" feels stiffer than the f30 m sport on 19"... Really didn't like the softness of the f30 when I tried it.. Doesn't feel like a sport sedan at all.

Anyway congrats ! More photos please !!!!!
A friend had a 2001 E46 Sport that I used to drive whenever I was the DD. That is the car I use as a benchmark. F30 with M performance feels as close to E46 as you can get, maybe a hair stiffer - I can't remember if the E46 had low profile run flats or not. If the steering on F30 were about 10% heavier in Sport mode, I think it would be perfect.

Also, test drove 2007 E90 M Sport a couple of times and want to say that it came close to the feel of the E46 I was used to, but can definitely agree that the stock F30 M Sport suspension is too soft which is why I decided to go for M Performance.

No plans on adding M Performance stickers. I like the understated look that makes people say "wait, is that...?". Once I get the clear bra and the weather gets a little better, I plan on scouting some better places for a proper photo shoot.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #43
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
They won't be able to sleep, I'm sure...unless they're young. The feedback is quick and stiff for sure.

I've always likened it to 20% LESS stiff than the current generation M3. Is that what you're feeling?

Once it settles in, it'll soften a little (I noticed). It's like the springs needed a few hundred miles to settle.
Hmmm - good excuse to go test drive an M3.
What rubber do you have on your 18"? << not trying to be nasty.

Just curious if run flats are playing a role here or if it is just the low-profiles.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #44
tbensous
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Do you know how low the performance suspension sits compared to the m adaptive suspension ? On the lower settings which one is lower ? Comfort wise any difference?

Thanks
Thierry
Appreciate 0